Little By Little...

Options

Comments

• redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A letter dropped through the door yesterday from Robinson Way. They are the debt company that DH's student overdraft has been acquired by. I offered them a F&F last August and they have only just got back to me.

They have declined my offer and given me an amount they are willing to accept, with an acceptance of the £15pm I offered to pay it back.

Obviously DH is out of work now, so I am going to write back to them with a new SOA and offer them something stupid like £5pm. Firstly, because I don't want to commit to £15 due to work uncertainties, but secondly because they have annoyed me by A) taking 6mths to reply and B) not accepting my offer.

I've got the doctors today, to see if I can be signed off from work for a bit longer, as I am really not coping well at all at the minute. The dr had suggested getting out and walking, but I tried that and my foot was in agony as I have Plantar Fascilitis. I can't seem to win right now.
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • GlendaSugarbean
    Options
    I'm sorry things are piling up on you at the moment, but good that you are talking with your doctor. Plantar fasciitis is horrid, I had a short bout last year and it was agony. Could you get referred to physio?
  • redmel1621
    Options
    I am going to write.

I've always wanted to write a novel, so while I am off, I am going to give it a go Hopefully having something to focus on will help. I find writing relaxing too. The Dr did say to try to focus on something I enjoy instead of focusing on the negatives, focus on something positive.

Obviously the exercising isn't going to to work for me with my dodgy foot, but reading and writing are my passion. In fact I might try and persuade DH to come along to the beach with me tomorrow (weather dependent) I can hopefully sit and think and get some fresh air at the same time.

I have already cemented my future plans in my mind, so I just need to bide my time until my contract expires, then I can move on.

DH has a few leads on jobs, so hopefully they transpire into something. We can then get the holiday paid off and the dog bought, as well as getting back on the debt paying train. Hopefully get a decent buffer built back up for if we end up out of work again.

The doctor has signed me off for 4wks, which has already lifted my mood somewhat. Hopefully I can continue to improve going forward.
  • BabyStepper
    BabyStepper Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How's things going this month, redmel? Hope you're feeling better.
    Emergency fund £8,500/£8,500
    Mortgage overpayment £260
    Debtfree!
    £21,228.07 paid off in 22 months
  • redmel1621
    Options
    Wow! I have been absent from this diary for ages.

We are still plodding along nicely. All bills and debts are being covered and we're not yet behind on anything. I have no idea how we have managed it, but I'm happy about it.

The new medication the doctor put me on has done wonders already and my mood has already started improving. I am still getting anxiety attacks, but not as severe. My plantar foot is still agony, but I think this is just a life long thing that I'm going to have to put up with.

Anyway, dh finally has some work. It has only been a two week contract, but it is something at least. He has registered with a number of agencies, so hopefully a few more things come up. It is also getting close to what is called 'silly season' so there will be loads of work. It runs from kind of April (new tax year) to just after the summer holidays.

I have compiled a list of agencies that I will be registering with in April, ready for when I can start work 1st May. My contract ends 30th April and I am not allowed to undertake work elsewhere until that date has passed.

I've been slipping a bit with YNAB this month, but I have got back into it in the last few days. I think my trial runs out soon, so I need to make my mind up about purchasing it. I really wish there was a monthly pay option to those that aren't itunes users. We don't have any apple products at all, so I can't even get it on tablet or imac - It's extremely frustrating.

I've also had a good declutter of the house and a good spring clean over the last couple of days. Then today I cleared the back garden up and mowed the lawn.

I don't think I have updated the figures on page one for the minimum payments earlier this month. I'll get onto that later.

Interestingly, I have stumbled across a Mr Money Moustache website/blog, where a man retired at 30. Apparently he has a whole cult following called Mustachians. There is a facebook page and videos on youtube and loads of other people blogging about similar journeys. It has been called the F.I.R.E (Financial Independence/Retire Early) movement. I hadn't heard of it before, but it is really interesting. I mean, I am well passed 30, but I do still want to make sure I am comfortable enough to retire early, or least semi-retire and then only do part time/ad hoc work as and when I feel like. I still have my grand plans. They just feel a million miles away right now.
  • redmel1621
    Options
    Doctors for me today. I also need to catch up with YNAB this morning.

Dh has a job that he has gone to, although it is a 2.5-3 hour drive away, so he's going to be tired later. We also had a nightmare with the car not starting this morning. Thankfully we managed to jump start it using the motorbike, we had tried our electric car but it simply doesn't have enough power to jump start other vehicles.

Fingers crossed he can manage to stay in this job for the 5wks either through travelling each day or staying over somewhere as we really need the money.
  • kindofagilr
    kindofagilr Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    Options
    I too wish that there was a monthly option, I emailed them about the student access as partner is one, but wasn't sure if I could use that as I opened the YNAB account in my name, but they thankfully said I can, so on payday I need to get his NUS card and then send a photo of it I think, so we will then get it free for a year

I hope OH manages with the job x

I am pleased to see the new medication is making you feel a bit better, I Hope your foot is better soon, I have shin splints, and it's peeing me off cos I can't do the exercise videos I was doing, I might see if I can do it with my sleeve on and see what thats like cos I need to be doing them for my sanity x
    Debt £30,823.48/£44,856.56 ~ 06/02/21 - 31.28% Paid Off
    Mortgage (01/04/09 - 01/07/39)
    £79,515.99/£104,409.00 (as of 05/02/21) ~ 23.84% Paid Off

Lloyds (M) - £1196.93/£1296.93 ~ Next - £2653.79/£2700.46 ~ Mobile - £296.70/£323.78
    HSBC (H) -£5079.08/£5281.12 ~ HSBC (M) - £4512.19/£4714.23
    Barclays (H) - £4427.32/£4629.36 ~ Barclays (M) - £4013.78/£4215.82
    Halifax (H) - £4930.04/£5132.12 ~ Halifax (M) - £3708.65/£3911.20

Asda Savings - £0

POAMAYC 2021 #87 £1290.07 ~ 2020/£3669.48 ~ 2019/£10,615.18 ~ 2018/£13,912.57 ~ 2017/£10,380.18 ~ 2016/£7454.80

~ Emergency Savings: £0

My Debt Free Diary (Link)
  • redmel1621
    Options
    I too wish that there was a monthly option, I emailed them about the student access as partner is one, but wasn't sure if I could use that as I opened the YNAB account in my name, but they thankfully said I can, so on payday I need to get his NUS card and then send a photo of it I think, so we will then get it free for a year

I hope OH manages with the job x

I am pleased to see the new medication is making you feel a bit better, I Hope your foot is better soon, I have shin splints, and it's peeing me off cos I can't do the exercise videos I was doing, I might see if I can do it with my sleeve on and see what thats like cos I need to be doing them for my sanity x

My son got a year free and only had to send a photo of his college ID card. He didn't need an NUS card :)
  • kindofagilr
    kindofagilr Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    Options
    redmel1621 wrote: »
    My son got a year free and only had to send a photo of his college ID card. He didn't need an NUS card :)

It's a tough one, as he is at uni through work, and is being taught via work, he doesn't have a ID card for the studenty part as such lol, so I think NUS is the easiest way? need to send it to amazon as well for their prime xx
    Debt £30,823.48/£44,856.56 ~ 06/02/21 - 31.28% Paid Off
    Mortgage (01/04/09 - 01/07/39)
    £79,515.99/£104,409.00 (as of 05/02/21) ~ 23.84% Paid Off

Lloyds (M) - £1196.93/£1296.93 ~ Next - £2653.79/£2700.46 ~ Mobile - £296.70/£323.78
    HSBC (H) -£5079.08/£5281.12 ~ HSBC (M) - £4512.19/£4714.23
    Barclays (H) - £4427.32/£4629.36 ~ Barclays (M) - £4013.78/£4215.82
    Halifax (H) - £4930.04/£5132.12 ~ Halifax (M) - £3708.65/£3911.20

Asda Savings - £0

POAMAYC 2021 #87 £1290.07 ~ 2020/£3669.48 ~ 2019/£10,615.18 ~ 2018/£13,912.57 ~ 2017/£10,380.18 ~ 2016/£7454.80

~ Emergency Savings: £0

My Debt Free Diary (Link)
  • redmel1621
    Options
    It's a tough one, as he is at uni through work, and is being taught via work, he doesn't have a ID card for the studenty part as such lol, so I think NUS is the easiest way? need to send it to amazon as well for their prime xx

Ah I see. Hopefully NUS can verify him as a student and you get the free YNAB and the Amazon discount :)

I've just caught up on YNAB and hopefully can get on top of things again now. Dh has 5 weeks work where he is and then fingers crossed he gets something else straightaway. I really want to pay our holiday off and get back on the debt busting wagon. I'm glad we have managed to keep up with the regular payments for things, but I really do want to see those figures going down a bit quicker.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback