Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

New plan...time to see some movement! - Page 101

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

New plan...time to see some movement!

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
1.6K replies 87.5K views

Replies

• abba1772abba1772 Forumite
    7.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Take the pedals off

We are in exactly the same position so we took the pedals off and now he's confident in gliding the bike and finding his balance hopefully the pedals will go on soon but the difference in his confidence is amazing xx
    NEXT TARGET 14.09.20 : HUBBY'S LAST CC WAS £5095.00 NOW £0.00 25.11.20
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18
    POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28
    POAMAYC 2020 £13799.30
  • jwiljwil Forumite
    12.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow youve had a busy few days. Well done on all your news and good progress.
    Hope you get to have a good chat about the new job. It sounds like its someone you know so you can approach them for more info. They asked you to apply remember so theres no harm in suggesting how you would like it to pann out in the future.

With regards to bike riding our eldest wouldnt do it for ages with us when he was learning. We took him to a local cycling group doing beginner classes. He was riding in under 10 minutes. Dh was proud but livid he did it so wuick with them. Ha ha. If its a nerves thing he might feel he has to just get on with it or not be allowed to feel nervous with a different person/teacher type figure were as with you he will possibly be more emotional as he knows you understand his fears.

That might be an idea, I just worry he'd refuse to try and waste the money. I might have to try it though.
    We are in the same boat. DC2 loves riding her bike with stabilisers, but is so worried she refuses to try without them :(. We spent a morning at the park with her riding up and down with me holding on to the back of her seat to try and get her balance, which helped a teeny tiny bit (although it didn't help my back, which was killing after!). DH has suggested taking the pedals off for a bit and using it as a balance bike. Not sure if that's something you could try?
    abba1772 wrote: »
    Take the pedals off

We are in exactly the same position so we took the pedals off and now he's confident in gliding the bike and finding his balance hopefully the pedals will go on soon but the difference in his confidence is amazing xx

That's what we are thinking we might try. DH took him up and down the road yesterday holding on to the back and he was ok, so maybe he'll give it another go.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • in_need_of_directionin_need_of_direction Forumite
    6.6K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My two mastered their bikes when stabilisers were removed, they got used to the back being held and then it wasn’t. Once they realised they’d managed without support, they were keen to try again.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £59614.29 Offset fund today 1541.16 target £2000 by 31/12/20
    Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:j
    Weight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 13st 2lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.:T
  • jwiljwil Forumite
    12.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My two mastered their bikes when stabilisers were removed, they got used to the back being held and then it wasn’t. Once they realised they’d managed without support, they were keen to try again.

Hopefully this will work with little jwil. He wouldn't even try and move on Monday, but did yesterday. Hopefully now he realises we won't let him fall he'll be more willing to try.
  • jwiljwil Forumite
    12.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a good day on PA yesterday, cashed out, and have several surveys pending authorisation as well :T That's the first time in a while!

I have now received my confirmation that the debt is settled :T :T

I have decided not to go for the new job. I have given it serious thought, and I did discuss it with a couple of people who know more about what it entails. I won't like a lot of aspects of it, and it will be extremely stressful at times. I still have concerns about the fact that it is a job to develop this project and can't get it out of my head that the job won't be there when it is done. I think there's a lot to be said for enjoying your job and I will be involved in the project under my current role, just not leading on it.

Also, I am under TUPE protection on my current job which I would lose if I got the new one. I found out yesterday that the redundancy package under my TUPE protected role is much better than the one currently offered which is just statutory. I would be putting myself more at risk with less compensation if I took the new job. Given that I really enjoy what I'm doing, it's a no brainer for me now.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Lifeisforliving19Lifeisforliving19 Forumite
    337 posts
    ✭✭
    Been catching up as not been online for a few days again...seem so busy lately. Think it sounds like the right decision re your job and glad to hear your debt is settled ok.
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £36,112 (37% paid)
    EF £200 Mortgage OP's this year £115

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• Purplemumof2Purplemumof2 Forumite
    7.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Glad that the debt is settled :D

Always a good idea to not do anything if you are unsure xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    BC: £7070.00 :mad: Lloyds: £7850.00 :mad: MBNA: GONE :)
    Feb LTW 2/20
    PAYDBX 2020 #041 PD £298.03/£8000
    Xmas Pot £52.85/£500 ~ EF £280/£500
    20p Savers 2020 :) £2 Savers 2020 :) 50p Savers 2020 :) SPC 13 2020 #003
  • HairyHandofDartmoorHairyHandofDartmoor Forumite
    13K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jwil wrote: »
    I had a good day on PA yesterday, cashed out, and have several surveys pending authorisation as well :T That's the first time in a while!

I have now received my confirmation that the debt is settled :T :T

I have decided not to go for the new job. I have given it serious thought, and I did discuss it with a couple of people who know more about what it entails. I won't like a lot of aspects of it, and it will be extremely stressful at times. I still have concerns about the fact that it is a job to develop this project and can't get it out of my head that the job won't be there when it is done. I think there's a lot to be said for enjoying your job and I will be involved in the project under my current role, just not leading on it.

Also, I am under TUPE protection on my current job which I would lose if I got the new one. I found out yesterday that the redundancy package under my TUPE protected role is much better than the one currently offered which is just statutory. I would be putting myself more at risk with less compensation if I took the new job. Given that I really enjoy what I'm doing, it's a no brainer for me now.

That sounds like the right decision with regard to the job Jwil.

Great news about the debt being settled, one less to worry about :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £300/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £144.37/£500
    PREMIUM BONDS ME = £300. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300
  • doingitanywaydoingitanyway Forumite
    6.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good decision. Still nice to consider these things and know we have options :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
  • jwiljwil Forumite
    12.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been catching up as not been online for a few days again...seem so busy lately. Think it sounds like the right decision re your job and glad to hear your debt is settled ok.
    Glad that the debt is settled :D

Always a good idea to not do anything if you are unsure xx
    That sounds like the right decision with regard to the job Jwil.

Great news about the debt being settled, one less to worry about :).

Thank you all :) Down to 4 debts now :T