PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

£45 per week housekeeping

Options

Comments

• silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,793 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    On the laundry front I use very little detergent normally, and things still get cleaned. Obviously make allowances for babies and mucky kids!
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    silverwhistle - yes not cheap, more a weekend/holiday treat from local cheese shop/deli/farm shop. They are used to, and happy to cut small pieces, usually pay £2-3 and serve in ploughman's type lunch with a bit of cheddar/brie etc from fridge, tomatoes and/or olives, with bread or crackers. Great change from a sandwich or wrap for us.

Laughed at the farting comment, you would not want to be here tonight, digestive system having a major blip:rotfl::o
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Thought I would post again having just left the weekend behind and give you a bit of a boost.

We went shopping twice, just under £20 in sainsburys, just under £15 in tesco. All on food and some of it will last over a week (cereal, tins, biscuits).
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Vet
    Vet Posts: 180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ceegee wrote: »
    I budget for everything, always have done. I currently have £45 per week for food, toiletries, toilet rolls, detergent and other cleaning stuff. I would very much appreciate it to know if people think this should be:

a) plenty
    b) enough/adequate
    c) challenging
    Should be easy enough to work with - bulk meals e.g. chilli, curries, pasta etc. Can use for lunch next day. I have similar circumstances - budget around £60 per week - but i like to splash out occasionally. So its up to you :)
  • berries
    berries Posts: 133 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use lidl formil non bio washing liquid and it's brilliant. I used to use persil but wouldn't go back now. If you wait until they have it on their super weekend they sell it for 99p for 21 washes. I stock up when the offer is on and have never bought it full price. At one point I had nearly 20 bottles in the cupboard under the stairs. Might seem overkill but with a 6 month old and a 21 month old, I do a far amount of washing. I also do the same with the dousy fabric conditoner which they have on offer for 99p for 66 washes.

I've been wondering about their soap glad to hear good reports. I will try it once needed. Thanks
    1 /10 nsd 😀
  • berries
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »
    If you have the time and can be bothered and don't mind being bored there are GPT sites to earn extra money.

This can mean running videos or answering surveys. Can be done while watching TV in the evenings.

I can let you know the ones I do not after referrals and can point towards a rather helpful facebook page with a lovely community. Last month I earned £112 that was PayPal and Amazon vouchers.

Its not masses but might help take the edge off a stretched budget.

Yours

Calley X

Please could you point me in the right direction for this too. Thanks.
    1 /10 nsd 😀
  • berries
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »
    If you have the time and can be bothered and don't mind being bored there are GPT sites to earn extra money.

This can mean running videos or answering surveys. Can be done while watching TV in the evenings.

I can let you know the ones I do not after referrals and can point towards a rather helpful facebook page with a lovely community. Last month I earned £112 that was PayPal and Amazon vouchers.

Its not masses but might help take the edge off a stretched budget.

Yours

Calley X

1 /10 nsd 😀
  • Horwich_7
    Options
    I’m so pleased to read this thread!
    I am at home on semi bed rest due to a foot op.
    I’ve been quite down and this post has cheered me up. What a lovely help to the OP and I wish you well...
    I feel that I have very much taken my eye off the ball since handing over reins to my dh who has kindly been doing the shopping.
    The trouble is I have now lost my housekeeping money to him and the house is groaning with food but no organisation or thought to being thrifty and getting the most out of our budget.
    It also means I don’t have the luxury of buying presents or Christmas bits that I used to get by cutting corners on my food shop to have a “pot” for exactly that. So I think I’ll ask to take back the reins, do a food inventory, use up that food then get more savvy by all your great ideas on here.
    Annie x
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    berries wrote: »

Berries,

Sorry for the delay. Have not be ignoring you but missed seeing this message.

I will PM you.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • I use Lidl formil bio powder, its excellent, I also use Aldi concentrated liquid, never use the amount it says on the bottle, half is quite enough even if you are washing at 30c.

My budget for the two of us is about £45, some weeks its more, last week for instance it was £28.00 this week £40.14. It used to be £35 but everything is going up due to the weather this summer.

I have a freezer full of meat and fish so living out the freezer for meat etc. I have a second freezer in my sewing room which has fruit and veg in it as well as bread and milk. I do make my own bread, but OH likes shop wholemeal for toast, so I buy a couple of loaves at a time and freeze them, then just take out how ever many pieces I need, prop them up and defrost them. I also buy and freeze 4 pt cartons of milk. OH has milk at lunch time and we have milk on cereal at breakfast but do not have it in tea or coffee. so a 4 pint bottle defrosted lasts us almost a week. I do make sauces with milk too occasionally. I keep a carton of long life milk in to use for emergencies, just in case I cannot get out if OH is ill. I also freeze butter. Buy it when its cheap and freeze it, it has gone up with a wump recently. One thing I have done for years is menu plan. a week at a time....I go through the freezers to see whats in and do the menu's accordingly. If I notice I am short of something I will add it to the shopping list.

Do not know if you read a lot, we have an app on our tablets which allows us to read books for free from the library, you download them for a month and can renew. Look at your library page and see if they do this. The app is called 'borrow box'.

One thing I do at the end of a month, any change I have in my purse I empty into a tin. Count it once a year and stick it in a savings account. It helps to pay for holidays or days out. If I use my debit card I tally up what I have spent over the month and transfer whats left from my 'housekeeping' into the savings account.

I deal with the finances and I have separate accounts where I put money away for house and car insurance, car servicing and repairs each month, then when I have paid the bill I transfer that amount into the current account to cover it. That way I know I have the cash to cover it.

Sorry this has developed into a screed......just take whats bits are helpful to you and ignore the rest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure