PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

£45 per week housekeeping

Options
ceegee
ceegee Posts: 856 Forumite
edited 9 January 2019 at 12:26PM in Old style MoneySaving
I budget for everything, always have done. I currently have £45 per week for food, toiletries, toilet rolls, detergent and other cleaning stuff. I would very much appreciate it to know if people think this should be:

a) plenty
b) enough/adequate
c) challenging

We are 2 adults with no pets.

Whilst I managed fine at first, I am now finding that, after 6 months of it, it is becoming increasingly difficult. Do I just need to re-double my efforts or am I on a hiding to nothing?

I am aware that I have not given my circumstances, but it was more a question of how do-able is £45 per week for all food, cleaning, washing etc. If anyone could spare a moment to post their thoughts, I really would be grateful.
Thank you!
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
:snow_grin"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow........":snow_grin

Comments

• carrielovesfanta
    Options
    ceegee wrote: »
    I budget for everything, always have done. I currently have £45 per week for food, toiletries, toilet rolls, detergent and other cleaning stuff. I would very much appreciate it to know if people think this should be:

a) plenty
    b) enough/adequate
    c) challenging

Whilst I managed fine at first, I am now finding that, after 6 months of it, it is becoming increasingly difficult. Do I just need to re-double my efforts or am I on a hiding to nothing?

I am aware that I have not given my circumstances, but it was more a question of how do-able is £45 per week for all food, cleaning, washing etc. If anyone could spare a moment to post their thoughts, I really would be grateful.
    Thank you!

We are in the same household as you. I think that £45 is doable, but you have to really want to do it and it may not give you a lot of variety.

My weekly shop is approx. £30-£35 but that's without veg and meat from the butcher. All in all, I have about £200 a month budgeted for food (we have chosen to eat organic veg and meat so our costs are a bit higher).

What do you find is tripping you up? Lack of cheap recipes? Not able to meal plan? Meal style/ingredient preferences?
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,130 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What is your lifestyle ? Do you eat out at lunchtime / evenings; have take aways ?

We are a pensioner two person household (plus two cats) - dont eat out, takewaway once a month and would think £45 is rather tight - occassionally OK but a delivery shop every 6 weeks ago pushes us well over budget.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • campbell19925
    Options
    We spend £40 at Aldi per week for 2 of us and don't need anything else.

That does breakfast, lunch and dinners all week + toilet paper, cleaning stuff etc.

It is by no means skimping on anything either, chicken, meat, halloumi, wraps etc etc so it's very doable.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options

a) plenty
    b) enough/adequate
    c) challenging

Thank you!
    It really is a 'how long is a piece of string?' question without context.

Family A could do it. :j
    Family B couldn't. :(
    • Why is it becoming 'increasingly difficult'?
    • Because prices have risen?
    • Because you're getting bored with what you're eating?
    • Where do you shop?
    • Have you done Martin's downsize challenge?
    • Do you drink alcohol?
    • Do you menu plan?
    • Do you batch cook?
    • Do you make your own lunches or buy them out?
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,113 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My budget for all of the above for just me is £30 per week and I live well on that. I see this as an annual "pot" rather than a defined amount per week. In the winter when I eat more soups, stews etc. I spend less on food but find the warmer months I spend more but it balances itself out over the year. Without compromising or changing what I eat too much I could trim £5 off of that but any less would mean for me some significant changes but would be doable if I needed to (or wanted to enough). £45 for two sounds tight to me but not so tight that it's really challenging. I suppose it depends on what is driving your budget, if that is the most you can spend then you need to eat what fits within that amount which may mean changing what you cook & eat and where you buy it. If it's choice as you want to use money on other things then an extra £5 a week or allowing an increased spend say once a month might give some wriggle room.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    id find it tight to do business with that amount but my ideas would be
    $ meal plan
    $ use leftovers
    $ shop the yellow stickers
    $ buy in bulk such as sack of pots if u think u will use them
    $ cook cheap meals such as quiche have beans on toast once a week
    $ waste nowt

don't be down heartened if u get a lot of posts along the lines I could do a lot more with a l ot less sometimes the people who post this sort of thing are very short on detail xx
    onwards and upwards
  • ceegee
    ceegee Posts: 856 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for your ideas, much food for thought there, excuse the pun!

No alcohol, no takeaways, no eating out. If I need to buy something "over and above" such as tights, it leaves me struggling. I have no budget for things like clothes and haircuts, if I did, we wouldn't have even the £45 for housekeeping!

I think that the constant struggle gets on top of me sometimes. Sometimes I remember the well groomed and well dressed woman that I used to be and it does make me feel down sometimes.

I know it might seem that I am being a bit cagey about my circumstances, I don't want to appear that way, it's just that, at the age of 62 and having worked from age 15 until 61, I now find my self in a rotten situation. I shall take all suggestions on board and re -double my efforts.

Many thanks for the thoughts and kindness! !!!55357;!!!56397;
    :snow_grin"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow........":snow_grin
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options

No alcohol, no takeaways, no eating out. If I need to buy something "over and above" such as tights, it leaves me struggling. I have no budget for things like clothes and haircuts, if I did, we wouldn't have even the £45 for housekeeping!

I think that the constant struggle gets on top of me sometimes. Sometimes I remember the well groomed and well dressed woman that I used to be and it does make me feel down sometimes.

I know it might seem that I am being a bit cagey about my circumstances, I don't want to appear that way, it's just that, at the age of 62 and having worked from age 15 until 61, I now find my self in a rotten situation. I shall take all suggestions on board and re -double my efforts.

People won't judge. :)

If we knew what and how you cooked, where you shop and what you buy, what you like to eat and don't like to eat you'd have answers & advice tailored for you.

It really doesn't matter what other people's budget is and whether they find it easy or hard to manage on a certain amount.
    The fact is that you are finding it difficult.
    It may be that posters can help.
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    were do you shop?
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • campbell19925
    Options

Do you like rice?

Aldi does the best rice for 29p. Boil water + rice. I use it as a staple at least 3 meals a week!
    12 chicken thighs for £1.99, there are some bargains in Aldi. Where do you shop?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure