New to PPI claiming ~ please help!

Options
Hi Everyone,

I have recently decided to try and reclaim, what I feel, are missold PPI policies.

All of the online forms obviously ask a LOT of questions.

Most of my policies date back many years and if I’m honest I don’t recall in great detail all of the informal they are asking.

For example, they all ask if the policy was sold by telephone or online or vi post - is it critical that I know this? Would they throw the claim out if I say ‘via phone’ and it transpired that it was via post?

Also, they all ask if I knew that Inhad PPI - in most cases yes I WAS aware, but since the miss-selling scandal it has become clear that these policies were miss-sold.

Is admitting that I was aware that I had PPI going to go against me?

Finally, what are the success rates like these days?

What are the best ‘tactics’ that you have used to prove miss-selling?

I have contacted;

Barclays Mortgage
Capital One Credit Card
MBNA Credit Card
EGG Credit Card
*there are others that I haven’t contacted yet.

Any advise/knowledge would be great!

Many thanks!

Spurs501

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You answer the questions honestly. If you don't know, say you don't know.

Once you make something up and they prove you're lying, your chances go down.

There are no 'tactics' and the success rate is irrelevant. It depends on your circumstances and your complaint.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    For example, they all ask if the policy was sold by telephone or online or vi post - is it critical that I know this?

Not critical. However, it does impact on your credibility if you state something that is wrong. Remember you are making an allegation of wrongdoing about how it was sold to you. If you cant remember how it was sold to you then your complaint reasons have to reflect that. if you lie and make something up and the can show that was not the case, then all the other areas where you made unprovable allegations will not go in your favour.
    Would they throw the claim out if I say !!!8216;via phone!!!8217; and it transpired that it was via post?

A postal application tends to be non-advised with no staff member involved. So, you have made allegations of being told this and that, then clearly you are telling lies. Or, in liberal speak, you misremember.
    Also, they all ask if I knew that Inhad PPI - in most cases yes I WAS aware, but since the miss-selling scandal it has become clear that these policies were miss-sold.

Not all PPI was missold. Some distribution channels have under 10% of cases missold. Some 90%. Its not about the product. Its about the sales process.
    Is admitting that I was aware that I had PPI going to go against me?

No.
    Finally, what are the success rates like these days?

Falling from historic levels but anything between 0% and 90% depending on PPI type and distribution channel used and dates.
    What are the best !!!8216;tactics!!!8217; that you have used to prove miss-selling?

Wasnt finally then ;)
    Tell the truth. Even if it means you saying you cannot remember. You are not expected to have a perfect recollection. Telling lies or making things up can do more damage to your complaint.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    Spurs501 wrote: »

What are the best ‘tactics’ that you have used to prove miss-selling?

The truth.

I hope you are not contemplating making some, err stuff up, in the hope of receiving a payout?:)
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do remember the firms are allowed to ask you to prove any complaint reasons you allege so making stuff up isn't a great idea
  • Spurs501
    Spurs501 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Certainly not planning on !!!8216;making stuff up!!!8217; just wanted some advice really.

My real concern was remembering the details as it was so long ago.

Thanks for the advice so far.
  • Spurs501
    Options
    Have submitted all of my letters.

I have been honest and only answered to the best of my knowledge.

I know that some of my historic credit cards (and an old mortgage) definitely had PPI, and others I!!!8217;m not sure about - so have asked the question.

I know that the lenders have a maximum time to reply (8 weeks?) - do they usually leave it until the end of the period before responding?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No. They do it as soon as they can, sometimes going far beyond the 8 weeks.

The PPI bandwagon is pretty full at the moment.

Just be patient.
  • Spurs501
    Options
    Thank you!

I found out that I had PPI on an old Barclays mortgage - anyone got any experience with reclaiming PPI on a Barclays mortgage?

Thanks in advance.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You don't reclaim, you complain it was miss-sold.

If you had an MPPI policy then you state your complaint reasons and send the complaint to whoever sold it to you. If it was Barclays direct they have to consider your complaint, if it was through a broker/IFA/estate agent type deal it will depend on the date it was opened, pre-2005 you won't get anywhere as it's pre-regulation).

Do remember simply having PPI is not a problem, it's how it was sold to you. Most MPPI complaints fail because it's covering a massive debt that can result in you losing your home if you can't pay so you'd need some compelling reasons why it wasn't suitable
  • Spurs501
    Options
    Thank you!

My complaint is based on the fact that I was told I needed their PPI policy in order to get the mortgage. I now know that I could have purchased a similar policy elsewhere probably at a more competitive price.

Are these not good grounds for a complaint?

My mortgage was Barclays direct not through a broker. It was taken out in 2002.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure