Options
13»

Comments

• Spurs501
    Spurs501 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Some use third party companies.

And consumers too. Around half of all PPI complaints made dont even have PPI.

If you disagree with the outcome, you have a right to appeal. Banks are much better than in the past. They now know how the FOS is going to consider a case and the system is largely evidence based. i.e. if you make an allegation that can be proven then its a strong reason. If you make an allegation that cannot be proven and nothing suggests that took place then it will not carry much or any weight.

Thank you - good advice as always.
  • KT0306
    Options
    Would appreciate any advice please?
    I took a Debenhams card out in 1997, the ombudsman has agreed with Santander on the PPI so no refund there!! But I was also paying a Personal Accident premium on the card too. Does anyone know if I can try and reclaim this charge? Has anyone experienced this?
    So I was paying 2 extras on the card account, Account Premium (which was the PPI) and this Personal Accident.
    The Ombudsman have suggested to get in touch with Santander as this payment is most probably under 'Sterling Insurance'?
    Not sure what to do now, am going bald due to pulling my hair out! :rotfl:
    Thanks ever so!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    KT0306 wrote: »
    I was also paying a Personal Accident premium on the card too. Does anyone know if I can try and reclaim this charge?
    Not sure what to do now, am going bald due to pulling my hair out!
    Why would you somehow be able to get a refund on this insurance?

On what basis would you complain?

You've been legitimately covered in the event of accident and you don't get the premiums back simply because you haven't suffered a claimable event.

Note that not all insurance was PPI and (as you've already found out) not even all PPI was mis-sold.

Leave your hair in place and forget all about this..
  • KT0306
    Options
    Fair point. I was going from the angle that I was extremely naïve (bordering stupid I suppose) and cannot for the life of me remember actually signing up for it.
    Thank you for your reply.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I was extremely naïve
    Not a valid complaint reason I'm afraid. (It's also a phrase which is on every PPI template letter:eek:)
    and cannot for the life of me remember actually signing up for it.
    A lack of memory from two decades ago is understandable, but that does not indicate any wrongdoing took place. If you still have this insurance and no longer require it then you are at liberty to cancel it, but you won't obtain a refund simply by stating you've forgotten signing up for it.
  • Spurs501
    Spurs501 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    It is funny reading all of the ‘advice’ on here...the PPI claims companies and Martin Lewis make it sound inevitable that you will win your PPI claim - where as a lot of the advice on here points to the contrary.

I guess the truth lies somewhere in the middle!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure