Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 August 2018 at 5:55PM
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Red Dwarf has been revived by Dave. There have been two series so far with the original cast. Series 11 wasn't great, but series 12 was much truer to the original. A series 13 is in the pipeline for broadcast in 2019.

If you liked Blackadder, then there isn't much these days that is remotely similar. However, some of the C4 comedies capture that combination of comedy plots + silliness. to an extent.
    David Michel was on the BBC One Show last night plugging the latest series of Upstart Crow. Written by Ben Elton ,script writer of Black Adder, maybe you missed it Cornucopia !.
    David Michel stated that he thought that Upstart Crow was the best Ben Elton script and the best comedy he s worked on. Not "edgy " he admits , he s grown out of Peep Show edginess because he s much older and more
    wiser but you do not need to hark back to old Black Adder or ancient old Red Dwarfs .A licence fee is needed to watch live scheduled Dave on Freeview/Freesat
    Better is available today, just pay the licence fee and stop knocking the BBC
    People only hate the BBC not for their program content but because £150 is taken from their wallets every year. That is the primary reason. Some people are selfish and believe because its so easy just to declare they "do not need " a TV licence then that is enough proof. but quite rightly the BBC /TVL would not always just takes someones word at face value.
    TVL are not at all harassing anyone they are attempting to uphold the law of the land , so let them in to view your TV set up
    BBC has always made the or commissioned the beat comedies .. Repeats of Quacks are very good also . Back in te 1960 s/70 s when there were only 2 channels we had no option but to view awful American rubbish such as "Wagon Train " or "the" " Lone Ranger " "Dallas " etc as kids but the best programs were always British not imported tat . That holds true today
    The BBC are still producing gems. "Detectorists" is much praised and is shown on Netflix subscription channel and is in the top 20 of recommended by Wired.com non rubbish Netflix progs, along with Peaky Blinders. They still have nt broadcast series 3 of Detectorists yet .
    I have definitely not been through your posting history Gloom and Doom, you are not interesting enough and the word "vegan " in your little bio puts me off even more . If you want to save more money stop being a vegan. I admit to trying it when I was a stupid youth but it was too expensive
    Avoiding cows milk is expensive and I would bet it costs you £150 a year extra just paying out for .Almond/Hazel/Soya milk substitute and its is pretty awful overpriced chemical stuff with only approx 2 almonds per litre in almond milk for instance . ...
    Assuming that I am the "certain poster " you refer to , apologies if I am not that poster. I just randomly picked on the Japanese because its one country I am keen to visit because of their culture and politeness and low crime rate which can be described as "odd " in the violent world we all live in nowadays. Sorry for annoying you with my attempt to make you think again about buying a TV licence
    Also they have slot machines which dispense old used ladies underwear I have been told ! lol. which is seriously weird, but that is the Japanese for you .Odder than any other country ! Yes the Japanese, are "beyond crude "
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    Red Dwarf has been revived by Dave. There have been two series so far with the original cast. Series 11 wasn't great, but series 12 was much truer to the original. A series 13 is in the pipeline for broadcast in 2019.

If you liked Blackadder, then there isn't much these days that is remotely similar. However, some of the C4 comedies capture that combination of comedy plots + silliness. to an extent.

Mm I did watch them, good though not as good as the predecessors. DVD as they always come out right after they finish airing anyway, or my dad always records them so there is that option.

I've not come across anything like Blackadder. Think it was the actors that did it for me. Bit like faulty towers, good night sweetheart, keeping up appearances etc. Just can't get that anymore.
    I do like Ben Elton books.

To erm other,
    Japan is great but seriously stating about the vending machines (not slot machines) or gashapon machines like that? Beyond crude! You are the kind of person who should never go as you make all gaijin look bad :mad:.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 August 2018 at 9:41AM
    Options
    Firstly, I'm sorry for your loss. If your house is uninhabitable you're not going to be living in it for a while, so change the NI address to where you're living now. If you move again, repeat the process, It's a faff, but you're saving a worthwhile sum each year.

Try not to worry about the letters from TV licensing, they're automated standard letters and not aimed personally at you.
  • pinkcloud
    pinkcloud Posts: 231 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you but for lots of reasons the NI address can't be changed and also cannot be changed to here.

I would have done that long ago.

I have asked the question because I do not know the ins and outs of it and am hoping someone knows another solution.

Thanks for help
    pinkcloud
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 26 August 2018 at 10:05AM
    Options
    Sorry you're having problems with BBC-TV Licensing at an already difficult time. Unfortunately, they have a history of being clumsy in their handling of this kind of thing.

I don't think there's any way to force BBC-TV Licensing to do what you actually want. There are a few conditions to the TV Licence and they tend to enforce them. The BBC also have the option to introduce new conditions to tighten up any rules that aren't working, and they do do this.

So the question is whether there are any workarounds you could use?

- You could use your existing Licence to cover mobile equipment (say a Tablet or Laptop) to watch TV online at the other address. The device needs to be powered by its batteries whilst you are doing that to qualify to be "mobile".

- You can watch commercial catch-up TV without a Licence.

- In the most basic scenario, they won't prosecute someone who is 80 who has a Licence, albeit for another address. So you could just do nothing. If you do that, you can probably get them to stop writing by using a "cease and desist" instruction.

- You could also contact your MP who might be able to persuade them to be more reasonable.
  • pinkcloud
    edited 26 August 2018 at 10:16AM
    Options
    Thanks and again a great help.

I have never had a licence and am not clear what the rules are.

Presumably, I can't have a licence at each address.

I have never had a television and never watch it. I just thought I would like to try my husband's Sky.

Thanks also for help.
    pinkcloud
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    pinkcloud wrote: »
    Presumably, I can't have a licence at each address.

You can have your own free Licence at the address where your NI number is registered, and you can pay for a Licence for the other address, if you wish. You'll probably need to tell them that the other address is a "second home" in order to do this.

TV Licences are now refundable in 1 month chunks, so the commitment is fairly short.
  • pinkcloud
    Options
    The letters don't actually bother me.

Both houses are uninhabitable and anyone can see that.

pinkcloud
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry, but how can both houses be uninhabitable? You are currently living in yours, and planning to move to his, so they must both be theoretically habitable.
    You don't need a TV at his house until such time as you either repair his TV or buy one yourself
    In the meantime, I would cancel the Sky subscription, as you can't use it. You won't need a Sky sub to watch the free to air channels anyway.
    Even if the house were technically uninhabitable, you will still need a TV licence if you want to watch live TV there.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • pinkcloud
    Options
    Both houses are uninhabitable but I don't want to go into it here. It is very difficult and doesn't add anything to this.

I have never had a television or licence.

I am living at my husband's house for the foreseeable future sorting out his considerable affairs.

I asked TV Licensing for my free TV licence as I would like to have my husband’s TV repaired and try out his Sky TV.

It is Free to Air not subscription.

It is the only thing I would watch and when I saw the BBC while away on holiday I thought it weak by comparison and would not watch it if they paid me.

Thanks all for help
    pinkcloud
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family