Question about TV licence

Options

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Houbara wrote: »
    When you see that the BBC take so many to magistrates courts every year, approx 200,000 , a colossal figure , no wonder that they assume, quite rightly IMO that everyone who does not take out an annual TV licence is in most cases breaking the law and viewing live scheduled broadcasts as and when they see fit.
    Using the Netflix excuse is a well worn tactic but who in their right mind could stomach the mostly rubbish American offerings. Netflix do produce a few good offerings but once you run through the good ones you are left with utter drivel .
    More people are spending their TV money now on Netflix and Amazon Prime which adds up to coincidently, the TV licence fee of £150 but you will never convince me in a million years that 99% of the ones "claiming " to never watch any live scheduled broadcasts or any BBC all never watched the live broadcasts of the World Cup with England actually getting to the semi finals. They will claim to have watched it in a pub I reckon.
    If the OP has nothing to fear, why do you not simply invite any TVL employees into see their equipment but I suppose that is too much to ask and they suddenly become a fortress and claim to be harassed.
    The magistrates are inundated with TV licence dodgers so of course it makes sense to assume that most people who decide not to need a licence are actually watching all the live TV and BBC programs they want.. No one could stick to non stop Netflix, its not possible, even for Americans. Its too awful !
    OP , you have the answer..guilty unless you physically prove otherwise as you say..then physically prove otherwise and let anyone in to see your set -up . That may well stop the constant letters at least for a year or so.

Keep taking the pills.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 25 August 2018 at 1:33PM
    Options
    We don't pay for prime. We had a free trial and deemed it not worth it.
    It's not just American shows on Netflix. I enjoy the Japanese, Korean, English, French etc shows it has to offer. Most of the shows I watch aren't in English though. A reason sky was dropped as it was mostly American or very bad English shows.
    Didn't watch the football. The only potential problem I will have is the Olympics when it comes. I will cross that bridge when it comes.
    I also happen to prefer reading most of the time. My OH spends most time on his gaming when he has the chance and not watching TV.

Not everyone is a mindless drone.

As for letting them in, I as a disabled woman was not about to allow an intimidating guy into my home when I was alone to prove something. I know I don't have to let them in either and to be honest I don't like strangers in my home at the best of times. When I usually open the door only when I know we are having someone over or we have a delivery.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 25 August 2018 at 4:30PM
    Options
    Houbara wrote: »
    Using the Netflix excuse is a well worn tactic but who in their right mind could stomach the mostly rubbish American offerings. Netflix do produce a few good offerings but once you run through the good ones you are left with utter drivel .

More people are spending their TV money now on Netflix and Amazon Prime which adds up to coincidently, the TV licence fee of £150 but you will never convince me in a million years that 99% of the ones "claiming " to never watch any live scheduled broadcasts or any BBC all never watched the live broadcasts of the World Cup with England actually getting to the semi finals.

No one could stick to non stop Netflix, its not possible, even for Americans. Its too awful !

You don't like Netflix, so assume everyone doesn't either.

As for England in World Cup, not English (not that it matters as some English people probably didn't care either), why would I watch it?!

Last time I watched live TV was the 6 nations (yes I have a TV licence). I mostly watch Now TV - never have a chance to watch it live, so use the catch-up service instead. I play video games, also shows I like to watch Saturday Night Takeaway and The X Factor I watched/watch on ITV player catch-up.

Also I rent TV box-set DVD's from Cinema Paradiso.

I need to cancel my TV licence until February 2019 :eek:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 September 2018 at 11:35PM
    Options
    So is your OH also not keen or bothered on football or normal TV ? The World Cup viewing figures were the highest for years peaking at around 23 million (registered legal viewers ).. Prob add another few million more unlicensed viewers to that figure at the least
    I quite understand that people living on their own can do their own thing and forego the delights of the BBC and all the live scheduled broadcasts but finding two people of the same mind would be a problem .
    I live on my own now but my late partner would not miss Strictly Come Dancing and other top TV shows like that even if I could do without it, which I can.
    Once you have run through the better Netflix offerings , it won t take long, you will be heartily sick of slick wise cracking American group script writing and soon cancel the £75 or whatever .
    £150 a year is excellent value IMO for the yearly TV licence,. a mere £2.80 a week. People spend that on a bottle of beer !
    I would like to add that I have seen some Netflix stuff and find it very good, Better Call Saul IMO is excellent but I fear that is the exception to the rule.
    OK take the advice of seasoned experts on here, there are many, and politely close the door on Capita or do as a friend of mine does ( who mocks me for paying for the licence fee ) and simply point your mobile phone camera at them.
    Apparently this makes them all disappear quickly without a word spoken !
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 25 August 2018 at 2:50PM
    Options
    Nope OH hates football. He likes rugby and goes to a rugby club to watch it with his family as he prefers the ambiance of the group watch and drinking together while doing so. He says watching it alone isn't the same.
    We made the joint decision that 'normal' TV viewing just wasn't worth the money. It is expensive when you watch it only because you feel obligated as you paid the fee.
    We pay for the £7.99 per month Netflix package as this allows two screens and there are just two of us. Better value as actually has series, documentaries, films etc we want to watch. As I said OH plays his games when he gets the chance, my tablet allows me to watch Netflix or I can read a book on it when he does so. As we have the two screen option it does mean we can both watch what we want too if don't want to watch what the other does, TV and a tablet to do so.
    You seem fixated on it being very American but the international options are vast.

Wouldn't do the phone thing unless they actually threatened me or simular for police evidence otherwise no point. Closing the door was effective enough at the time, but I can bet they will be back.
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 25 August 2018 at 3:20PM
    Options
    If you don't watch any TV that requires a licence just let TV licencing know and they will send you a declaration form to sign and send back to them.

We did this several years ago and have renewed the declaration since. Think you renew it every couple of years if I remember correctly.

Never get letters, threats or anyone call round ever.

So sign a declaration if you honestly don't need a licence and don't want any hassle from them.

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    edwink wrote: »
    If you don't watch any TV that requires a licence just let TV licencing know and they will send you a declaration form to sign and send back to them.

You can also do this on line:-

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/telling-us-you-dont-need-a-tv-licence

Doing this will probably mean they will only contact you every two years. But it's not a requirement.

Telling them to go forth and multiply when they come to the door is equally valid.

The whole approach by the BBC to licensing enforcement is based on harassment and a presumption of guilt. The front line staff operate with this attitude, and some seem to regard themselves as above the law.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    Have done the above. Have a deceleration no.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 25 August 2018 at 3:44PM
    Options
    Well I hope you can now enjoy two years of streaming without being harassed.

Personally, I wouldn't make a declaration. If you don't watch live TV or use iPlayer, then you have no business with the BBC/TVL

I don't want firms that I have no business with to be holding my name and email address. They don't need to know who I am and they don't need to contact me!
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    Point is that even if you have done the declaration they still often feel the need to send letters and/or come by.

I agree we shouldn't have to give our personally information just because the majority of people apparently feel the need to watch TV in a way that needs a licence. We should have got rid of it ages ago. We talked about it for more than a year before we did so! So much wasted money...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport