Question about TV licence

Options

Comments

• simonbk
    Options
    I declared that I didn't need a licence about 5 years ago. I've never had a visit from TVL in all that time - just a letter every couple of years reminding me to renew my declaration. How often are they supposed to be visiting me?
  • tempus_fugit
    Options
    pinkcloud wrote: »
    If anyone has any other advice I would appreciate it.

pinkcloud
    Looks to me like you got your answer in post #6.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • pinkcloud
    Options
    Yes, that looks the best reply to me but I always appreciate advice.

pinkcloud
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,161 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 2 September 2018 at 9:07AM
    Options
    simonbk wrote: »
    I declared that I didn't need a licence about 5 years ago. I've never had a visit from TVL in all that time - just a letter every couple of years reminding me to renew my declaration. How often are they supposed to be visiting me?

They don't say in those terms. However, their stats say that they make ~4 million attempted house calls per year with an access rate of ~20%. If we assume that there are somewhere between 1 and 3 million unlicensed residential premises, then households can expect an attempted visit on average every 3-9 months, and for a TVL field worker to make contact on average every 15-45 months.

TVL are less inclined to visit wealthier areas and more rural areas. Farms and gated communities present a particular problem to them.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You've had lots of advice and have been playing the 'yes, but' game with all of it.

The long and short of it is the law requires you to have a TV licence to watch live transmissions. Your age entitles you to have one free licence at the address at which your NI number is registered.
  • pinkcloud
    Options
    I don't understand what you mean.

I was answering poppikin, that is all.

pinkcloud
  • pinkcloud
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    You can have your own free Licence at the address where your NI number is registered, and you can pay for a Licence for the other address, if you wish. You'll probably need to tell them that the other address is a "second home" in order to do this.

TV Licences are now refundable in 1 month chunks, so the commitment is fairly short.

Thanks again Cornucopia for this post.

Is there any process for telling them about the "second home" or do they accept me just telling them?

pinkcloud
  • Autumn86
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    They don't say in those terms. However, their stats say that they make ~4 million attempted house calls per year with an access rate of ~20%.

The key point is that ''THEY'' say that... :rotfl:

The reality is that its total and utter garbage and nonsense.
    They make those claims to try scaring people, when the reality is they probably make approx 400 house visits per year (and that will only be to people who have declared they do need a license, but then have not bought one).

They will never ever ever ever visit a house who has stated they don't need a license,
    as quite simply houses who are declared as not requiring licenses have no business-relationship with TV licensing Ltd, and so would have no logical reason to interact with employees of TV licensing, let alone let them inside your house.

*Moreover though even if a TV license employee did magically manage to get inside your house/or had X-ray vision to see inside it, all they would see is a TV.
    However you do NOT need a license to own a TV.
    You are meant to have a license if you watch live broadcasts, but if you choose to own a TV/sky box/freeview box, you can do so perfectly legally without having a license,
    simpl need to state on the form that you only use them to watch dvds/listen to the radio/play console games.

Not sure how dim-witted someone would have to be to actually be worried that the TV license company has any power whatsover to enforce anything! :rotfl:
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    edited 2 September 2018 at 12:36PM
    Options
    In the 19 years I've not watched any TV nor had a licence I've been aware of just one visit - only because they stuffed a flyer through the door to say they had visited: 'twas when I out working. They may have made other undeclared visits of course. The one visit occurred during a working week sometime in the middle of the day.
    This is indeed an upmarket rural area so the amount of time/effort going round even the few houses without a licence would be comparatively high compared to an urban area.

As to totally new way of funding the BBC - I fear it may be the German system. EVERY property pays regardless of whether they watch or do not watch their BBC equivalent or any TV at all or even possess one. In effect for the Germans it has become just another property tax.
    You can imagine in the UK it would be collected along with council tax by your local council with imprisonment for non compliance.
  • tempus_fugit
    Options
    pinkcloud wrote: »
    Thanks again Cornucopia for this post.

Is there any process for telling them about the "second home" or do they accept me just telling them?

pinkcloud
    The only way really is to ask them. 😉
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure