IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Private PCN on residential estate

Options

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    They sent a barrister? Really? Are you sure it wasn't just a rent-a-legal solicitor from the likes of Elms Legal? (If they really sent a barrister then this case has cost them FAR more than it has cost you ... a barrister will have cost them £500+ whereas a rent-a-legal is about £150).
  • D_P_Dance
    D_P_Dance Posts: 11,504 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I very much doubt that a wet behind the ears barrister would cost £500.

Many years ago I was defendant in an RTA claim..  My insurance company put up a barrister, as did the other side, both were absolutely useless.  I took over, destroyed their barrister,  and won the case.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    They do for a days fee! £100 an hour min. 
    What "expenses" were allowed?
    DO  you know the total judgement? If you do, pay that, now. Dont delay. Get a receipt and send it to the court. 
  • squire1234
    squire1234 Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 February 2020 at 4:52PM
    Options
    DoaM said:
    They sent a barrister? Really? Are you sure it wasn't just a rent-a-legal solicitor from the likes of Elms Legal?
    Yep, I spoke to him after and he specifically mentioned it. I was surprised too, he was definitely rental though.

They do for a days fee! £100 an hour min. 
    What "expenses" were allowed?
    DO  you know the total judgement? If you do, pay that, now. Dont delay. Get a receipt and send it to the court. 
    I think I know but I don't have details for who to pay regardless. Expenses were £50 total (hearing costs)
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    5) The one point that went my way was the additional £60 charge, which the barrister tried to justify. I think he, himself, knew that the charge was a long-shot and was very quick to accept the Judge calling him out on it.

Ruling: Claimant is awarded max £100 + interest (had to be recalculated to excl the £60 add on charge) + expenses

At least the judge understood the fake £60 and deducted it.
    On the day, it is Gladstones who are the big losers, after paying the "rent a legal", paying the parking company, that's if they actually do ?  
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes you do know who to pay. Its on teh claim form. 
  • squire1234
    squire1234 Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 February 2020 at 5:37PM
    Options
    beamerguy said:
    5) The one point that went my way was the additional £60 charge, which the barrister tried to justify. I think he, himself, knew that the charge was a long-shot and was very quick to accept the Judge calling him out on it.

Ruling: Claimant is awarded max £100 + interest (had to be recalculated to excl the £60 add on charge) + expenses

On the day, it is Gladstones who are the big losers, after paying the "rent a legal", paying the parking company, that's if they actually do ?  
    To be honest, the Judge brought it up before I got around to mentioning it and grilled the barrister on my behalf. I asked him if I could add to it and he replied that I didn't need to. I felt like he really wanted to give me something, just wish he could have been persuaded on the whole claim. With the interest it still cost me over £220. With the next two claims I'm looking at a total of £760 :/ Would've been £180 had I paid at reduced.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 February 2020 at 5:53PM
    Options
    beamerguy said:

To be honest beamerguy not sure they are the big losers

OP has two other cases out there - winning this one might  help with the others (OP estimating £780) and it  may well  be a case that  they can quote going forward to frighten those in the same position. 

Think they might view it as a loss leader.

• beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    NeilCr said:
    beamerguy said:

To be honest beamerguy not sure they are the big losers

OP has two other cases out there - winning this one might  help with the others (OP estimating £780) and it  may well  be a case that  they can quote going forward to frighten those in the same position. 

Think they might view it as a loss leader.

Next time the OP will have a different take. Different day, hopefully different judge.
    As we all know, judge bingo is present. The very last thing that Gladstones should do is assume
    The next judge may not be as tolerant towards Gladstones £60 rubbish and could strike out the case. Something that Gladstones will never know until the day

• squire1234
    Options
    Anyone have experience of how to switch a hearing in person to an oral hearing if one cannot attend?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure