Forum Home» Over 50s Money Saving

50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60! - Page 24

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60!

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
319 replies 69.3K views

Replies

• Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    42.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    do make sure that you give careful thought to future-proofing the loft access! We've got 'proper' stairs going up to ours, but they are horrible and I wouldn't want to use them on a regular basis. (It's not 'my' space, and it suits the person whose space it is, so just a thought for you!)
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • bugslettbugslett Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    416 posts
    Future proofing raises interesting ideas. I live on a hill qnd the house has no room for a downstairs loo. Theres a limit to what I can do. So far in the last couple of years, I've had fascism and guttering, new roof, new windows an d pointing will start this week.

Do you have much more of your siblings things to go through? Does it make you think about what you may leave for others to clear?

I'm enjoying retirement so far and managed to fulfill a lifetime ambition on Thursday when I bought a narrowboat. Technical ally its subject to survey, but she is only 3cyears old, so I dont think there will be a problem.
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    42.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bugslett wrote: »
    Future proofing raises interesting ideas. I live on a hill qnd the house has no room for a downstairs loo.
    Tell me about it: MIL and FIL have nowhere to put a downstairs loo, his dementia is getting worse, he's more and more unstable ... and they don't need any help, TYVM. I despair and await the inevitable crisis.

Presumably you couldn't extend in any direction and put in a whole downstairs wet room? We have a downstairs loo, but it would require an extension to put a shower in. But then, our stairs are brilliant and wide enough to take a stair lift. (Can you tell I thought about this when I first looked round the house? :rotfl:)
    So far in the last couple of years, I've had fascism and guttering
    :rotfl: and yet you always sound so reasonable ...
    I'm enjoying retirement so far and managed to fulfill a lifetime ambition on Thursday when I bought a narrowboat. Technical ally its subject to survey, but she is only 3cyears old, so I dont think there will be a problem.
    Fantastic! One of my siblings had one for a few years: much older than that, and eventually they reached the stage where they could find the time to either maintain it, or use it, but not both. But it had given them several happy holidays with teenagers!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • The narrow boat sounds a great idea bugslett - hope you enjoy many happy days on the water :). Many congratulations on your retirement.

Sorry to hear your sad news crv. Life is short - that's for sure.

Thank you to those who made comment about my wife's passing and to those who messaged me. She had bravely battled cancer for 10 years. We had been together since our uni days and so losing her has been extremely hard. Nothing, absolutely nothing, can prepare one for such a shock and the pain. Then comes the realization that one must soldier on.

I hope your move has gone well Mr Costcutter and you enjoy your new location.

Congratulations to MrAPJI - really pleased to hear you have found happiness again.

Had to smile at 44 jumpers CRV :). At one point I had over 100 ties - too many for any man I reckon. Goodness knows where they all came from!
    416 posts
    Fascism and gutters, dont you just love auto correct:D

MoL, time softens the loss, that's really the only advice I can give you.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • crv1963crv1963 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Bugslett- It does make you think what about my clutter. We are onto the last room, the hobby room, so in order to do it justice and not simply rush we're packing it up and transporting it back over our way and then going through each box. I knew sewing wasn't cheap but had no idea just how much a single person could spend on a piece of material. And there are hundreds of pieces of material!

Luckily, Mum, my other sibling and wife all sew so it will not all be wasted- as my Mum put it- "When I pop my cloggs you'll more than likely be going through much of the same materials in my stuff as we are with this lot".

Sibling was really into Christmas and Christmas decorations- as am I so I'm simply dividing them up evenly and then each person can sort through their own pile and keep/ recycle/ charity shop what they want from it all rather than open/ unwrap every little thing.

For my self I'll leave a great pile of Christmas decorations, tools and books. Mrs CRV sewing materials, records, clothes and shoes!

We've decided we don't use the rooms we have that much so the loft conversion will be basic to create a large sewing room and boarded storage areas, to achieve it we're spending the next few weeks seriously de-cluttering, we have the equivalent of 6 double wardrobes of hanging space to empty and of course the usual boxes on top of, in and beside the wardrobes!

Great news about the narrow boat, there's a challenge not much space to clutter in one!

Savvy-su- the stairs up are the important bit really, so good advice from you, we need to be able to get the furniture up and the jukebox.

MoL- great to hear your back, a horrid experience and little can be said to comfort, but Mum tells me that she copes when the waves of grief come by remembering the good times and of course by talking.

Got a course this morning, then the deliveries of items for my shed should continue arriving- some came yesterday such is the power of modern day shopping. While I was finishing off my Christmas shopping in York. I'm all done now with the exception of Mrs CRV electrical goods but know when and which local shop I'm going to for that!

I hope everyone has a good day and that the sun is shining.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
    416 posts
    I can confirm seeing is not a cheap hobby, actually most hobbies aren't! Walking is probably the cheapest, followed by reading. Gardening hasnt been, but now the garden is close to finished, it's less costly.

There is an article about the boat i am buying and it notes one of the steps lifts up and is the correct size for the owners sewing machine. Might be wiser not to mention this to lady cry in case she decides to decamp from the attic to a boat to do her sewing!
  • Good to see you back MoL - you have been in my thoughts. Yes, we have moved but are renting a property for 6 months as our new home is being renovated. The house we are renting is an absolute nightmare - dogs barking 24/7 - jolly glad it isn't our 'forever home'.

Bugslett, my wife has always fancied a narrowboat. Did you ever catch any of those programmes with Tim West and his wife - quite interesting - and I can understand the appeal of the waterways.

Sounds as if sorting out your siblings things has been quite a job, crv. I found it challenging when I had to clear mum's home - she kept 'everything'. In the loft I found her boarding school trunk and that was filled to the brim with family photo's and school reports. Just wish someone had made a note of who the people in the photo's actually were lol
  • happyandcontentedhappyandcontented Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good to see you back MoL - you have been in my thoughts. Yes, we have moved but are renting a property for 6 months as our new home is being renovated. The house we are renting is an absolute nightmare - dogs barking 24/7 - jolly glad it isn't our 'forever home'.

Bugslett, my wife has always fancied a narrowboat. Did you ever catch any of those programmes with Tim West and his wife - quite interesting - and I can understand the appeal of the waterways.

Sounds as if sorting out your siblings things has been quite a job, crv. I found it challenging when I had to clear mum's home - she kept 'everything'. In the loft I found her boarding school trunk and that was filled to the brim with family photo's and school reports. Just wish someone had made a note of who the people in the photo's actually were lol

I have a suitcase brought from my mum's 17 years ago (when she died) which is full to the brim with photos and that is my problem too. I haven't really been through them all yet, but one day I will.

We quite fancy getting in genealogy when we retire and some of those photos could provide great background information if only we knew who they were and where and when they were taken :)
    416 posts
    Same here with the old photos, some lovely ones, but no idea who is who, not even which side of the family.

No I havent see the canal programmes, I dont have a tv., but everyone recommends them! I'll have to do some catching up.