50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60!

Options

Comments

• crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Today I am giving in my notice at work to retire. Feeling nervous and excited and hoping that with accrued holiday this year to date my notice period will be short!

First day of the rest of my life.

I'm sure that the notice period will pass quickly, I imagine that it will feel weird going in knowing that it will soon be over and new adventures starting?

Good luck!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • BucksLady
    BucksLady Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    [QUOTE=MrAPJI;75753880

CRV, I'm not too bad thanks but I've had quite a problem with my neck. Tremendous dizziness when moving my head as a consequence of tight neck muscles. Since having physio things have started to improve though - touch wood! My cat is also ailing and about to go into the animal hospital for some investigations. He seems to have developed a very strange walk and sometimes his left leg gives way completely. The suspicion is that it could be neurological - we will have to see.

Hope both of you will be well very soon x
  • bugslett
    bugslett Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    If you are like me MRAPJI, you are probably worrying more about the cat than youself. I hope you are both feeling better soon.

Thrifty tracy - well done. I hope it is sooner rather than later, no point hanging around for too long once your mind is made up.

2 more operational days here, so it's a bit weird and has been for a few days. Normally we have things to plan for the rest of the week and sometimes up to 3 weeks in advance which obviously we haven't been doing. Drivers have been sending me cards and ringing up to say well, nice things. I'm in danger of getting a bit emotional and ruining my image as the 'ard woman of haulage':rotfl:
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
  • crv1963
    Options
    MrAPJI wrote: »
    Bugslett, guess you really are on the count down now. The time seems to have whizzed by since you told us about your decision to retire. Once you're actually there it will go even quicker :).

CRV, I'm not too bad thanks but I've had quite a problem with my neck. Tremendous dizziness when moving my head as a consequence of tight neck muscles. Since having physio things have started to improve though - touch wood! My cat is also ailing and about to go into the animal hospital for some investigations. He seems to have developed a very strange walk and sometimes his left leg gives way completely. The suspicion is that it could be neurological - we will have to see.

MR C, good luck with your house sale. Have you decided where you would like to move to?

Best wishes to all who visit.

Mr APJI- good luck with you and your cat! Our cat presented in a similar way and went off her food, then we discovered that it was actually her thyroid, started thyroxine and bingo back to normal, so I hope it is something simple, even it that means between the cat twice daily meds and collie twice daily insulin Mrs CRV and I cannot have a holiday together...........

Bugslet- 2 days! Just make sure you make the most of it!

Mr C- Are you moving a distance or locally?

We've booked Mrs CRV to go to see her Dad in Tenerife in June- the next time that we both have annual leave booked off at the same time- the last part of her birthday present- I paid for the flights.

I think youngest son and I are going to Cambodia for a week in October! I have a colleague who has a sister who lives there and she'll source local hotels etc so much cheaper than booking as a package holiday. I know it is a long way for a short time but I do want to try to see a bit of the world outside of Europe and the cost works out cheaper than a European package tour.

Payday tomorrow so will have to post an update over the coming days, the overtime money for my shed may need to be diverted to a garage bill, so will have to wait a bit longer I suspect as I don't want to compromise on the quality of my shed! I have now booked 2 overtime shifts for May, so hoping to pay most of the cost when I put the deposit down and get it delivered June/ early July.

Good luck to everyone with their plans.
  • Mr_Costcutter
    Options
    MrAPJI, you do sound in the wars. Wishing you and puss a speedy recovery :). Hope your building work is progressing well.

CRV, we're moving to the village where my wife grew up. We actually lived there when we were first married, but my job forced a move. It's one of those rare places where time seems to have stood still and quite beautiful. Guess it's about 90 miles from where we are living now - so not too far.

Bugslett, it's ok to get a little emotional at this time - have to admit that I did :). Retirement is such a big step isn't it.

Well done Thrifty Tracey :)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bugslett wrote: »
    I'm in danger of getting a bit emotional and ruining my image as the 'ard woman of haulage':rotfl:
    If it helps, I'm sure we can all think of you that way! :rotfl:
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • bugslett
    Options
    Thank you sue, that makes me feel better already:p

Crv, could you get a housesitter in to give pets their meds and then you can both have a holiday at the same time?
  • crv1963
    Options
    Bugslet, we have thought of this but it is difficult we did have a weekend away and my sister in law looked after them, but the collie stole a Christmas cake and her sugars rocketed. Also Mrs CRV was constantly texting and worried so we didn't really relax away, so it is simply easier for us to have days out instead. We have to be aware of what is left lying about (nothing) and timing of medications 11-13 hours between doses ideally 12 hours.

It does sound onerous but in reality it is easy, just live with a fixed routine, plan trips, going to weddings/ parties etc around their routine.
  • bugslett
    Options
    Well I have an 8 month old OES and she eats everything, so the not leaving stuff lying around applies here as well.

Unfortunately she has taken a fancy to the bannisters and spindles and general architrave in the hall/landing/stairs and is steadily chomping her way through them. I may reside in an unintentional bungalow soon :eek::rotfl:
  • crv1963
    Options
    Hi

I'm going to keep it simple, so here's my April payday update! We had some sad news of a siblings unexpected death, so we're busy concentrating on other things, although I'm taking a day off from everything today.

Spending- Stuck to our planned spending regarding savings and pensions.

Overtime payment from last month has ran down very quickly, with (i) travel costs and several 360 mile round trips in a week, (ii) sending son diesel money as he dashed up North, (iii) paying for our own new wills- no one can locate siblings will so one benefit of the situation is we are putting our house in order!

Bought some more Christmas presents, lol only early May and I think I've already half way with this!

Waiting to see what else I need to pay for before I order my shed.

Saving- Looks like I'll be working more overtime to save for my shed again when I return to work. I have managed to get some plants at reduced prices though so a sort of saving- who am I kidding that should be under spending!

Sorting- Spare bedroom cleared and everything put in its' place and it seems it will be used as a bedroom for sometime at short notice over the coming weeks.

One Marine tank converted by Mrs CRV to freshwater tank and a couple of fancy goldfish in situ, I think Mrs CRV was trying to cheer me a bit as we've discussed doing it for years!

Other News- Main news was my sibling dying, but it was nothing nasty just sudden and a shock. I'm afraid I just kicked into work mode, has this been done, we need to do that. Much harder for another sibling and of course Mum. I don't want to dwell on it here too much, feeling it is my siblings business and would like to keep this diary/ record light-hearted so will not post much about it. Maybe I'll feel different once we have the funeral.

Youngest son had a busy few days driving up and down the country but it was good of him to come at all.

Simple Pleasure- Had a few nice moments, have seen and appreciated some lovely scenery on my travels, cheered a few people up with some unexpected gifts.

Saw a lovely smile on Mrs CRV face when I gave her some flowers.

If the past week has taught me anything it is (i) make a will, (ii) tell someone where it is and (iii) live everyday as if it is your last as it might be (iv) if you can do something nice- like a smile do so.

Have a great day!

CRV
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback