Forum Home» Over 50s Money Saving

50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60! - Page 27

New Post Advanced Search

50 something man seeking to save to retire before 60!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Over 50s Money Saving
317 replies 67.6K views

Replies

• crv1963crv1963 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Update -

Spending Kept under control, no wasted bargains bought so far! Did spend £100 getting some drip trays for the shed roof, to try to preserve the edges of the wood on the roof, but rain has prevented me fitting either them or the roofing felt.

Saving No additional money saved, but gave my sons £100 each towards running costs of their cars.

Sorting Finally finished emptying my siblings home, last trip was sorting the shed contents. Note to self label all boxes of belongings and make sure the instructions for electrical goods and tools are in one obvious place- my sibling did and this was a real help!

Started on sorting our clutter out, moved all the shed materials into the Conservatory laid out in the order that they'll be used so when I can finally get it finished it should be easier just picking the stuff up and using it rather than searching all over the place.

Mrs CRV has sorted her collection of materials and placed them in neat boxes ready for storing when the loft work starts.

Spare bedroom still a jumble of all sorts!

Other News Things are progressing slowly on a number of fronts-

Loft conversion Architect has been and measured up the loft the whole house and is drawing up plans for the conversion and an extension to replace the Conservatory. Loft conversion should be within permitted rights as it is measured by volume not square feet. Replacing the Conservatory has long been on Mrs CRV list of "to do" and it makes sense for the plans all to be done at the same time and save on cost of calling an architect out a second time.

Siblings home Remaining sibling awaiting letters of administration to put it on the market - we had a leaking roof so had to pay for a replacement flat roof last week!

Our Bay Window Roofing Work stalled due to rain, I'm told it will be done next week if the weather remains dry.

Shed I aim to try to do the roof next week, the floor the following week and the tongue and groove for the inside walls the first week of my annual leave, and then empty the loft into it ready for the Loft Conversion.

Loft Conversion Architect coming back next Friday with draft plans, if they are okay then off to a Structural Engineer for 2 weeks, submit to a Building Inspector for a couple of weeks. Then if all is well and the builder is free work can start mid October for an estimated 6 weeks, so if everything falls into place by December it could be finished but I'm being cautious so in reality expect it finished end January.

Garden Works Have the estimate of 10 days work by the Gardening Firm, at £380 per day. This will include felling several self sown Ash Trees standing 20+ feet tall, two Pine Trees- too close to the house so need removing, two possibly three Beech Trees standing 40+ feet tall and only juvenile trees so will grow too big for the garden and should never have been put in, get all the hedges - some 300 feet in total length back into order- we have staggered double hedges as wind breaks because we live on a hill. Finally remove the buckled greenhouse and erect a new one on the same site- busy trying to select the replacement. Work to start in two weeks time.

Redecoration Probably the whole house as every room will be impacted by the dust and mess from the building works.

Sons Youngest going to look at some rental flats with his friend from school, at 22 they both feel now is the right time to leave their respective homes. He's looking Tuesday, so the collection of household goods I have for him from my siblings home may not even have to go up into our loft!

Retirement Have decided that I have had enough! This waiting around to go for night shift drives me mad and we get a sunny day at last and I can't get out and work on my shed/ garden because I need to be awake during the night.

Having read through lots of threads, spoken to friends and of course Mrs CRV I think that I'm going to bite the bullet and give notice next month that I intend retiring at the end of May 2020. Pension not quite boosted as much as I would have liked or planned but we'll have finished the work, paid off debt and the mortgage so even if I need to find something else part time for a couple of years it should be manageable.

I think retirement is like having children- there's never a right time, there's always an excuse to put it off. With my sibling dying at 60 and my own resolved heart problems I think what the heck just go!

Excuse my rambling on and have a great day/ weekend.
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • ClowanceClowance Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    well done for decision to retire soon, doubt you will ever regret it. May is the start of your new life! best wishes
    :j Don't forget quidco/topcashback - I do!:j
  • edited 23 August 2019 at 10:56AM
    crv1963crv1963 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 23 August 2019 at 10:56AM
    Clowance wrote: »
    well done for decision to retire soon, doubt you will ever regret it. May is the start of your new life! best wishes

Thank you Clowance.

I could find excuses forever not to go, but I think going is probably better for me at the start of summer- hopefully spend the winter boosting the pension, then take it from there. Might have to try to do some overtime between now and May as Mrs CRV wants to be totally debt free come retirement, having said that we have a combined debt of less than 20k so it should be manageable over the next 9 months.

Mrs CRV is less convinced that she wants to retire but may drop her shifts down to 2 nights per week and if we find things are tight I could also pick up a few shifts each month, one night a week would give me £700 pm so an option, also may ease me into retirement.

Edit- as a taster for retirement I've just arranged to meet a retired friend (same profession/ organisation) next Wednesday afternoon at a local Beer Festival! He went on his 50th Birthday just over a year ago and hasn't missed it once!
  • thriftytraceythriftytracey Forumite
    176 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    I retired in May 2019. My pension fund could have done with another year's contributions but I had had enough. Best thing I ever did. I am so happy now, relaxed, chilled and calm. I can live on my modest income and so busy now. Done all the jobs in the house and garden I never had time to do, go to yoga, pilates (needed after all the lunches and meals out - taking advantage of special offers), U3A, Let's Meet Up, reading more, playing piano,and listening to music and Radio 4 Haven't even started going away yet! (caravan breaks). It's also good to actually take pleasure in your house and garden after major declutter and having more time for our doggies too. The only cloud on the horizon is a possible no deal Brexit!
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hi TT,

We are thinking a motorhome, but maybe a Caravan would work for us as an alternative. Glad you're enjoying retirement.

CRV
  • thriftytraceythriftytracey Forumite
    176 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    CRV

Many pros and cons for both! Be good to have one of each if one had sufficient funds! We spent 7 weeks touring in France and moved site 7 times, 4 times with putting up the awning and taking it down again. Got a bit quicker each time and having unlimited time helps.
  • bugslettbugslett Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    416 posts
    Congratulations on the decision crv, like TT I retired in May, at least operationally. No regrets and I think once you have put your notice in, you will find that work feels different with a definite date.

Of course a narrowboat takes only a couple of minutes to moor up and, er, demoor. That is so not the right terminology:p
    Yes I'm bugslet, I lost my original log in details and old e-mail address.
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    bugslett wrote: »
    Congratulations on the decision crv, like TT I retired in May, at least operationally. No regrets and I think once you have put your notice in, you will find that work feels different with a definite date.

Of course a narrowboat takes only a couple of minutes to moor up and, er, demoor. That is so not the right terminology:p

I was told by a colleague who retired that the best feeling is waking on a Monday and saying to yourself- "Should I go to work today, then saying don't be silly take the dogs out instead!".

As you cast off, just don't fall in!
  • BucksLadyBucksLady Forumite
    567 posts
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=crv1963;7619037

I think retirement is like having children- there's never a right time, there's always an excuse to put it off. .[/QUOTE]

Very true, but sometimes I think one just has to listen to one's heart :)
  • edited 29 August 2019 at 3:30PM
    crv1963crv1963 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 29 August 2019 at 3:30PM
    Last August Update As I wait yet again to go for my commute to work.

Today the Roofers have completed their work and we are now watertight and I'm £2040 lighter! They seem to have done a good job on time and budget, feedback left on Checkatrader and FB sites.

Had a good night last night, met up with some old colleagues- all retired in their 50s (still) and encouraged to try to retire sooner than later! All have so much to fill their days they don't know how they managed to work.

Edit- my DB forecast ordered and it should be with me by 4 October, I was told by the pension agency and my former colleagues that it will be an under forecast as it is based on payment information given by my employer in May this year and of course does not take either our payrise in July or shift enhancements paid from June into account.

Have just topped up Mrs CRV SIPP with the rest of this months money I'd put aside for fuel but not spent, so feeling I'm achieving making our plans work.

Have a great weekend everyone.