Husband going to Canada for one month - advice on getting money before going.

Options
1235»

Comments

• GillyFlower
    Options
    gingerdad wrote: »
    I'd be setting up a starling acount on your phone and in his name.

Mike

It's a thought, however, anything to do with mobile phone here is a real issue when it comes to signal. I have one place in our cottage downstairs I leave my mobile phone to receive (son/daughter always phone on land line) if I need to send a message I go upstairs where I can sometimes get a signal. If I want to reply to any message it can be quite frustrating....so not very confident on that one as in past I have thought even a text message has gone but gets stuck. Oh! Walked out into the garden waving my mobile around for a signal.

Hence, most of my contacting friends/banking/forum:j is via my laptop. So think I should stick to what we have maybe.. Thank you
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,627 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Thank you again - all going well husband can carry one and keep the other safely at his brother's home as a 'just in case' of problems.

I would carry both - if there is an issue with the main card then the backup card will be no use if he is not carrying it.

I have just got back from Canada. I used a Clarity card everywhere. Bars, little shops, excursions, restaurants, taxis - everywhere.

It gives a much better currency conversion rate than getting cash does. If you use it to take money from an ATM you will start to incur interest from that day but it won't be very much money.
    Set up the card to pay in full via Direct Debit and that way you don't need to worry about paying at the right time if that falls while he is still away.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    I would carry both - if there is an issue with the main card then the backup card will be no use if he is not carrying it.

I have just got back from Canada. I used a Clarity card everywhere. Bars, little shops, excursions, restaurants, taxis - everywhere.

It gives a much better currency conversion rate than getting cash does. If you use it to take money from an ATM you will start to incur interest from that day but it won't be very much money.
    Set up the card to pay in full via Direct Debit and that way you don't need to worry about paying at the right time if that falls while he is still away.

That's why I have suggested the Barclaycard for cash and Clarity for purchases. Then no interest payable.
  • NandK
    Options
    We have visited Canada twice in the last two years for holidays in and around Vancouver, there was no where that didn't take credit cards, in fact when buying fuel at a filling station it was easier using a card then cash.
    We have used the Barclays Platinum Card for the last year travelling all over Scandinavia and Germany for two months and then Mauritius for a couple of weeks. We paid no charges for card use or for cash withdrawals (the exchange rate was better withdrawing cash from a cash machine in Mauritius than being offered by local bureau de change, banks or hotels).
  • GillyFlower
    Options
    Thank you all for advice - date is getting nearer. Barclaycard and Halifax safely ready and he will carry both - 2 questions -

1. Should he tell them he is going abroad? Hate to see a stop before he has started:eek:

2. May seem a silly question but how does paying by direct debit work. I guess he would need to send off a DD mandate - NOW!!!

(a) I understand a DD is set for a certain time of a month. So if say he drew out cash on day one - wouldn't it be better for him to phone me and I pay the amount immediately?

Advice would be appreciated as I pay off our JL Credit Card on statement immediately but using a card abroad is unknown territory for us.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Thank you all for advice - date is getting nearer. Barclaycard and Halifax safely ready and he will carry both - 2 questions -

1. Should he tell them he is going abroad? Hate to see a stop before he has started:eek:

2. May seem a silly question but how does paying by direct debit work. I guess he would need to send off a DD mandate - NOW!!!

(a) I understand a DD is set for a certain time of a month. So if say he drew out cash on day one - wouldn't it be better for him to phone me and I pay the amount immediately?

Advice would be appreciated as I pay off our JL Credit Card on statement immediately but using a card abroad is unknown territory for us.

It's up to you. Just pay on statement if you are comfortable with that. DD is just so you don't need to think about it.

Once again Barclaycard for cash. Clarity for purchases. Just pay on statement.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you wait until the first statement arrives to try and set up a DD, you may find it's too late, and that the first payment needs to be settled separately.

And yes, if withdrawing cash on a credit card, it's a good idea to pay money in to cover that sooner rather than later, although on one of Martin's top picks it's not critical.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • JosephK
    JosephK Posts: 240 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Although they used to want to be notified if going abroad, that has changed and last few times my bank have not wanted any notification.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    If you wait until the first statement arrives to try and set up a DD, you may find it's too late, and that the first payment needs to be settled separately.

And yes, if withdrawing cash on a credit card, it's a good idea to pay money in to cover that sooner rather than later, although on one of Martin's top picks it's not critical.

Nope...not necessary with Barclaycard Platinum Travel until 2022. Just pay full amount on statement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure