NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm

Old Style Daily Tuesday 31st July 2018

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Replies

• HollyharveyHollyharvey Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Morning everyone :wave:

I discovered yesterday that one of my neighbours opposite is selling up and buying a house with her daughter and son in law because her health is deteriorating. It seems sensible for them to plan for the future like this, but I shall miss her. She moved in a week after I moved here, so we were the ‘newbies’ together.

Sometime this week I need to get my brother or nephew to come over and clear out the gutters for me. During the rain over the weekend I noticed that they are blocked in a couple of places. Unfortunately I forgot to mention it when he was here on Sunday or he may have done it then.

My niece is considering buying a property with her long term boyfriend and my sister in law is doing her best to keep her at home by offering for him to come and live with them. Unfortunately, the first my brother knew of this was when she mentioned it over lunch on Sunday, the look on his face was a picture. I see trouble brewing there.

Csarina It’s good to hear that your DH was a bit better when you visited yesterday.

Gers take care of yourself as well as your mum.

JackieO I’ll keep my fingers crossed for Henry. I'm sure that he will find something.

I Love Comps I hope that your DH had a comfortable night and will be well enough to come home today as planned.

Dumpling I hope that Lee is feeling a bit better today.

Judi did Grump stick to your shopping list, or have you got lots of odds and ends that were not on the list?

Have a good day everyone.
  • I_Love_compsI_Love_comps Forumite, Senior Ambassador
    2K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Newshound!
    Senior Ambassador
    Morning Everyone,

I am joining in the cannot sleep club this morning.

Went to see OH in hospital yesterday. It is a severe throat infection. They advised him to stay in as they said they did not think oral medication would work. He is back to talking and eating and is in no pain. So should be out today.

I woke up at 3.30 and have just had a lovely cup of tea.

In a bit I will have another nap, as I know as soon as OH is discharged then he will want me to go down to the hospital.

Have a good day all x
    I am a Senior Ambassador on the Competitions Time Board and the Old Style MoneySaving Board.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by email to [email protected].
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Good morning and thank you for the thread Hollyharvey.

I've been up for a couple of hours but that is after a much better sleep. It has started raining, I am hoping that this will help the plants and verges because a fair bit of Sunday's torrential rain simply ran off as the ground was baked dry. I wish that I had not set the washing machine to come on just now as the sound of tge rain is pleasant and the machine us noisy. Never mind, we do need clean things.

Spent some time with a friend yesterday and, on the way, dropped off Yoda to form a triumvirate with the two other Star Wars items for another friend.

I am the last of the big spenders, bought a new oven glove - we do seem to get through these quite fast.

Thinking of TA, Deleted_User, Gers, I Love Comps and Dumpling, have I missed out anyone else with worries about their family? If so, I'm sorry.

Hope everyone has as good a day as they can.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • dumplingdumpling Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    Good morning everyone :hello:
    It still feels cool and fresh so I had a good night's sleep, unfortunately I have woken with a sore throat so I have either been snoring or I am coming down with Lee's lurgy. This will be very annoying as I had my tonsils out when I was 6 and very rarely get sore throats since then.

Lee is well on the mend now though, he managed to polish off his dinner last night and then had a medicinal bar of chocolate afterwards :D. I was very worried as his temperature rocketed a few times but he seems nearly back to normal now.

Good news about your husband I love comps, hopefully he will be discharged today x
    Sorry about your neighbour leaving Holly, you never know, the new neighbour might be lovely as well x
    AOD, had to google triumvirate :rotfl:. Glad your Yoda has found his new home x

Baked potatoes for tea tonight with an assortment of fillings. I will make a chilli in a minute as the longer it stands the better it tastes. I think I have salad stuff to use up as well.

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
  • nmlcnmlc Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Morning everyone

hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Cloudy and overcast this morning, looks like it could rain.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly as he wants to go to the gym.

Dinner last night was smoked sausage and mushroom pasta with a breaded chicken portion for the menfolk. I didn't have the chicken with mine. Tonight we'll be having fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg.

Work yesterday was busy, and we had 1 problem after another either with the computers or cash machines - I solved one problem with a machine but then we still had another that a colleague sorted, and for the rest of the day it behaved. We'll see. Early finish day today and off tomorrow but back in on Saturday morning.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • edited 31 July 2018 at 6:46AM
    TravellingAbuelaTravellingAbuela Forumite
    6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 31 July 2018 at 6:46AM
    Morning folks and thanks HOLLY. I had another rubbish night and feel worn out before the day starts. As all Mr TA's problems worsen so life gets harder for me and I'm sure I'd cope better after a good night's sleep. Oh well the OT is coming today to do the assessment so maybe she will come up with some ideas to make life a bit easier for us both.

Yesterday's washing is still outside - after a lovely sunny day the heavens opened as we were coming back from his scans in Leeds and the washing was dripping on the line by the time we eventually got home. I may delay the next pile waiting to go in the wm until yesterdays eventually dries!

Have a good day folks if you can but so many of us on here with health problems to deal with just now. Thinking of GERS, DUMPLING, I LOVE COMPS & CSARINA and big ((HUGS)) for anybody else I have missed who needs/wants them. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • redrubyredruby Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    Morning all

Been raining heavily in the night but its stopped now and meant to be nice for the rest of the day :T

Off to work for me which has been surprisingly quiet so far this holidays I hope its picks up a bit as its far too quiet.

Evie is going for her injections (or jibba jabbers as we call them:rotfl:) tonight OH will take her on his way home, and then she has her haircut Thursday so will be summer ready :D

Not sure about dinner tonight I need to go and rummage after this.

Have good days all and hugs to those in need xx
  • silver-oldiesilver-oldie Forumite
    922 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Good morning all

Thank you for starting us off Holly

Thinking of everyone with troubles and worries

My courgette had turned into a small marrow when I picked it yesterday :D still very nice, tomatoes are ripening well,

Going to see mother this morning, not sure why I put myself through this, but she is my mother.

There is a bungalow near us I have always liked,only seen it from outside, and it is up for sale. Do I look ? not sure. Logic says if we move it should be smaller not larger. In fact I sometimes think move away from here.

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • snoozersnoozer Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    Forumite
    I love comps, Csarina and dumpling, I'm glad your loved ones are on the mend.

I'm waiting for the vet's to open so I can make an appointment for Ziggypup because I don't like the look of one of her incision sites. I swear this dog has been to the vets more often than all our others put together by this age.

Then this afternoon she goes home and we go to see the new Allen Bennett play at The Bridge theatre. We'll probably stay the night at DD's because we won't see them for a couple of weeks while we are off on our travels again.
  • Good morning,]

Grey skies and a bit cooler this morning. I think there was rain overnight.

Yesterday, after work, I made my dinner, applied for some other jobs online and played football. Was shattered after, so in bed for 10 and I recon I fell asleep 10 minutes later.

Been up and at the gym this morning. With no plans tonight, I might stay a little bit later in work and then go to my mums for a bit of gardening. Hopefully the rain will make it easier for weeding.

ILC - Good news about OH. Hope he continues to feel better.
    Silver-oldie - I say go for a look. To satisfy your curiosity.
    Snoozer - Have you got pet insurance? If so, which one and do you recomend?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals