PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm going for my usual £200 again in August. 26th July - 25th August.

The last couple of months have absolutely flown by and I've done crazy amounts of overtime and found myself with zero time during the week and some weekends (what I have left is spent attempting to keep my house in some order but honestly, it's a state right now!) and I've totally blown my budgets. I'm determined this month to reign things in. I need to make myself come back on here frequently as it really helps! Also get back into FlyLady. BACK TO BASICS! I can fit everything in, I just need to be disciplined and organised :)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • riotlady
    riotlady Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Please can I join for £220?
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    £240 for me please from 28 July to 27 August

I've already spend £80 of it on an online shop :eek::eek:, in order to get £20 cashback! Was so careful though, I spent ages working out what we would actually use in the month and just buying that and just buying the cheapest, so hopefully it won't turn out to have been a budget-blower!!
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Would like to shave a little off so £180 please
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Highland_Fling
    Options
    Good morning everyone.
    Highland Fling is aiming for £160 for August GC.
    Thankyou
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good morning everyone

Please put me down for £120 this month, starting today. After two months of overspends, DH and I are seriously debating whether to put the Grocery Kitty up by £20. It’s been at £120 for years but prices are rising and it’s getting harder to stick to. August will be our decider.

I’m sitting here listening to the rain outside, thinking how wonderful it sounds. What a change from normal, when I’d be grumpy because it’s raining.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello, please can I re-join? Fell off the wagon months ago, all budgets totally destroyed, and need to get back MSE ways ASAP!!

Please put me down for £350 for 1-31 August? This is for 2 adults, 2 children, and a cat - all food/toiletries etc, but not including entertainment budget (going out etc.) - thanks very much. :)

I have a fair amount of food in the cupboards and freezer, but need to do a stocktake and meal plan today to get me back into practice! :rotfl:

A xo
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • Lauralozzle
    Lauralozzle Posts: 719 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 29 July 2018 at 11:22AM
    Options
    I'm sheepishly back after realising my July spend is well over £300.

Had to tell DH no more 'meat snacks', such as a packet of pork belly to snack on (once cooked). Too expensive, to be honest, can't be good for him either.

So - budget is £250 which includes all food, takeaways, household items (bleach, washing powder, dishwasher tablets etc).

Running from 1st August - 31st August
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks for the new thread elsiepac and :hello: to newbies, returners and regulars.

I'm in again please for August which is a 5-week month for us (two adults, groceries only, separate budgets for household, cleaning, toiletries etc) so a total of £175.

The good thing is I know I won't be using all that because (a) I have more than enough in stock for Weeks 1 and 2 :) (b) Weeks 3 and 4 we're on holiday (BBEM) :):):) and Week 5 will more than likely be living out of the freezer and store cupboards with a minimum spend on fresh foods for the fridge. :) If only every month could be that easy! ;)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Good morning everyone

Please put me down for £120 this month, starting today. After two months of overspends, DH and I are seriously debating whether to put the Grocery Kitty up by £20. It’s been at £120 for years but prices are rising and it’s getting harder to stick to. August will be our decider.

I’m sitting here listening to the rain outside, thinking how wonderful it sounds. What a change from normal, when I’d be grumpy because it’s raining.

- Pip

First shop of the month today. £15.40/£120 spent, leaving £104.60 in the kitty. Except for £3.50 spent on greetings cards and 2 for £2 big pots of yoghurt, everything was marked down from the the condemned food counter. We bought bagels (2 packs of a named brand at 96p each), Finest meat balls (£1.40 instead of £4), bananas (40p for 1.1kg), a quiche (£1.52 instead of £3-something), a tub of mushrooms for 71p, a packet of ready-made beef burritos (£1.40 instead of £3-something), a ring of black pudding for 40p, and two large lumps of vintage Gouda at 85p and 92p respectively, both down from over £4. With the exception of the bananas, the mushrooms and the meatballs, it’s all gone into the freezer for later on.

The meatballs were fried, added to homemade tomato sauce and eaten with pasta for lunch. They certainly weren’t worth their full price. Even after simmering in tomato sauce, they were hard and bullet like. The sauce only emphasised how tasteless the meatballs really were; they tasted of beef fat and nothing else.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it - that’s what gets results!

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons, 0 spent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure