MSE News: Energy firm Iresa ceases trading - here's what it means for customers

Options

Comments

• firsttimemover
    Options
    Curiosity got the better of me, so I had to look up the Iresa E7 rates - they were competitive, I'll give them that, I bet true users of E7 saw massive savings compared to other tariffs!

But for me, on my last 12-month actual usage, the extra standing charge would have made it more expensive than standard rates (only by about £5 per year though, so I can see how someone using more electric, even in the day, could have benefited from being on e7 with them).

Although that's all a bit irrelevant now!
  • Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So you went to all the hassle of successfully contacting Iresa to ensure you were supplied oin a single rate tariff compared to E7 which is the meter you have, all for a saving of about £5 a year?

If the slightly higher daily standing charge for E7 had such an adverse affect on the overall cost for you, then it sounds like you are a really low user, especially of low rate electricity, despite that being available for almost 30% of the day.

In fact, I would hazard a guess that your usage is so low indeed, that Iresa would never have been the best deal for you, but perhaps a supplier best suited to those who use so little energy e.g. those suppliers that offer a zero standing charge tariff.
  • firsttimemover
    Options
    Skools_Out wrote: »
    So you went to all the hassle of successfully contacting Iresa to ensure you were supplied oin a single rate tariff compared to E7 which is the meter you have, all for a saving of about £5 a year?

If the slightly higher daily standing charge for E7 had such an adverse affect on the overall cost for you, then it sounds like you are a really low user, especially of low rate electricity, despite that being available for almost 30% of the day.

In fact, I would hazard a guess that your usage is so low indeed, that Iresa would never have been the best deal for you, but perhaps a supplier best suited to those who use so little energy e.g. those suppliers that offer a zero standing charge tariff.

Seriously, I'm really not sure what your problem is (or why I'm spending time engaging with you, but it's a slow day, so here goes....)

I didn't switch to Iresa's standard rates for the saving of £5. I didn't ever contact Iresa about being billed on standard rates. I simply selected the "standard rate" option when I applied to switch. No hassle whatsoever. I didn't even look at the e7 rates when I applied (hence the surprise at your comments, but are factual, many people would have been better on e7 than standard with Iresa) but I didn't ever entertain being on economy 7 because since I moved into this house, it was set up on standard rates with Eon, and seen as I use about one unit a day at night, there was never a benefit to being on E7 (I have no storage heaters, no hot water tank that heats at night, it's literally my fridge I think that uses electric at night). When I've switched, I have simply done so on standard rates. I can't speak for the previous owner for why there was a two-tier meter - maybe they had storage heaters once upon a time and never changed it when they got CH, but it's never been a problem being charged a standard rate so that's been the best option for me.

It's rare for e7 rates to be so favourable unless you're using a significant amount of electric at night - so there has always been a significant saving by being charged at standard rates. Maybe I'll check out this option in future, but I imagine Iresa was an exception rather than the rule, else everyone would change to e7 rates, regardless of when they use electricity.

I regularly check the market, and for my usage, Iresa was by far the cheapest when I applied, and has continued to be so when I've checked the comparison sites.

I was also happy with their service once the initial teething problems were sorted, so was never desperate to switch anyway.

I came on here to advice on the tariff Octopus had set me up on, not whether I was on the "right" tariff at Iresa or what type tariff would suit my usage. I have done my own research on that, using my own usage figures and will be switching to my chosen new tariff on the 21st (if it's still available then). And no, it isn't a "zero standing charge" tariff.

As we were...
  • Skools_Out
    Skools_Out Posts: 258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 14 August 2018 at 5:45PM
    Options
    Seriously, I'm really not sure what your problem is ...

As we were...

I don't have a problem.

I understand you are the one who has a problem as, despite having an E7 meter, you expect the supplier to supply you on a single rate; something Octopus Energy are not doing at present.
    In fact it's not something most suppliers offer at all. If you don't want to take advantage of the low rate electricity offer for almost 30% of the day with E7, then ask your supplier to change the meter to a single registry one. (a charge may apply) Then you will have the choice from the whole of market as to which single rate tariff you would like, irrespective of supplier.

I understand you have been on a single rate for the last 5 years with this E7 meter, and as I pointed out, you were probably on a bum deal with Iresa (for one reason or another) having successfully asked them to put you on a single tariff, despite lots of comments suggesting they were difficult to contact and failed to respond to emails etc.

I'm sorry if the advice I have provided you is not the advice you wanted to hear.

As you say, "As we were..." .
  • allison445
    allison445 Posts: 752 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone else been charged twice for the period 27th to 1st august
    I've got one bill for £6.10 and one for £7.85 both have the same start meter reads .
    From 27-Jul-2018(Reading: 63472.00) - To 01-Aug-2018(Reading: 63533.00)
    From 27-Jul-2018(Reading: 63472.00) - To 01-Aug-2018(Reading: 63517.60)
    This is the first problem I have had with Iresa :rotfl:
  • martyp
    martyp Posts: 1,047 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    allison445 wrote: »
    Has anyone else been charged twice for the period 27th to 1st august
    I've got one bill for £6.10 and one for £7.85 both have the same start meter reads .
    From 27-Jul-2018(Reading: 63472.00) - To 01-Aug-2018(Reading: 63533.00)
    From 27-Jul-2018(Reading: 63472.00) - To 01-Aug-2018(Reading: 63517.60)
    This is the first problem I have had with Iresa :rotfl:

Yep, after a year and a half of hassle free billing from Iresa, I've been charged incorrectly:

Both for period 23rd July to 1st August
    99194 to 99256 = £8.77
    99194 to 99312 = £15.52
    So basically charged for the same 62kwh twice
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,908 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My short bill to 1st has now appeared and is charged to 0.4 of a unit as well as the SC for the 1st. At least I have only been overcharged once.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One of the customer own reads for 1st August has now disappeared ! but I now have a second short bill ,a debit of 18p for one day's standing charge inc VAT.
    The first short bill still includes a credit made up of a reduction in usage by using their "deemed reading" rather than my reading EVEN THO' the deemed reading has vanished from the meter reads page!
    Whoever is altering the Iresa database is clearly no expert:rotfl:
  • beardiedog
    Options
    Looks like Adeniyi Oladeji is still there giving them a 'helping hand' :rotfl:

Just had an email from Octopus(Iresa) re taking next DD. I'm ~£200 in credit already, should I cancel it or leave well alone until it's all sorted out? :(
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    beardiedog wrote: »
    Looks like Adeniyi Oladeji is still there giving them a 'helping hand' :rotfl:

Just had an email from Octopus(Iresa) re taking next DD. I'm ~£200 in credit already, should I cancel it or leave well alone until it's all sorted out? :(

If you are thinking of staying with Octopus, then let it ride -but if like most, you are going to switch away from Octopus asap then cancel DD with the bank:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure