MSE News: Starling Bank launches vertical debit card

Replies

• SnowTigerSnowTiger Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't like the colour.

It's going to clash, terribly, with my Monzo card.
  • edited 25 July 2018 at 5:47AM
    masonicmasonic Forumite
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 July 2018 at 5:47AM
    ceredigion wrote: »
    If you have mutable accounts with the same bank how do you know which card relates to which account. We would have 14 identical cards
    Yes, I'd be in the same position with some of my accounts, which is why I said there isn't much reason, rather than any reason. Presumably the account to which the card relates will still be included on the letter to which the card is affixed when you receive it. You would then need to make a note of which account each card is for (or just shove them in a drawer and not use them, as is the case for all but one of my debit cards).

Starling won't be the first bank not to put the account number on their debit cards. Natwest and RBS do not, and historically others, such as Alliance & Leicester, did not.
  • ZandermanZanderman Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ceredigion wrote: »
    If you have mutable accounts with the same bank how do you know which card relates to which account. We would have 14 identical cards

You have 14 accounts with Starling?
  • 18cc18cc Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I assume it's changing the landscape of banking to portrait.....
  • JuicyJesusJuicyJesus Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah this isn't a new idea - Sky credit cards, for one, had this arrangement, as did Egg Money:

Sky-Card-Credit-Card_large.gif

article_159.jpg

I'm not sure why MSE has given it such a transparent puff piece. Mission accomplished for Starling I guess, they get free press because MSE has joined the ranks of organisations that just regurgitate press releases.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • paragon909paragon909 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    I fail to see what the big issue with this new card design is. Is it something special, Does it mean anything different.
  • Terry_TowellingTerry_Towelling Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    paragon909 wrote: »
    I fail to see what the big issue with this new card design is. Is it something special, Does it mean anything different.

That's pretty much what we all seem to think. It isn't news for any bank to issue a debit card to support their accounts, so the only reason for Starling to trumpet the news would be to market the gimmick angle. This then begs the question asked by so many posters here, 'why did MSE feel the need to help out with the marketing'?

Would anyone from MSE care to comment?
  • edited 25 July 2018 at 12:05PM
    AnthornAnthorn Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 July 2018 at 12:05PM
    Starling haven't done their research very well and their new card follows Natwest and misses out the account number and sort code from the card. So lose the documentation and the app and you're snookered, you don't have the account number and sort code. In Natwest online banking in the absence of the account number and sort code, questions have to be answered in order to login and that takes you to a loop where you have to enter the account number and sort code and if you don't have them answer the questions again and so on backwards and forwards in a loop.

In its blurb Starling points out that the portrait aspect is meant to make the card appear as we use it. But ... er ... the side of the card which bears the card information is still in a landscape aspect.

So far I have regarded Starling Bank as innovators but this latest development has to be the most useless innovation of this century.
  • LeeUKLeeUK Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Love Starling Bank. Been my main current account with wages paid in and all direct debits and general spending for a year now.

MSE only calling the card useless and a "gimmick" because they are probably not giving MSE a kickback or offering £100 switch bonus "gimmicks".

Starling and it's app based banking is a breath of fresh air compared to the old high street (well mostly closed down now unless you live in a city centre) dinosaur banks. :)
  • takmantakman
    3.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    LeeUK wrote: »
    Love Starling Bank. Been my main current account with wages paid in and all direct debits and general spending for a year now.

MSE only calling the card useless and a "gimmick" because they are probably not giving MSE a kickback or offering £100 switch bonus "gimmicks".

Starling and it's app based banking is a breath of fresh air compared to the old high street (well mostly closed down now unless you live in a city centre) dinosaur banks. :)

:rotfl: You seem to have completely misunderstood the article. They aren't calling starling bank a gimmick; They are saying that having a debit card that has the text in a different orientation is just a gimmick.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News