Forum Home» Budgeting & Bank Accounts

MSE News: Starling Bank launches vertical debit card

New Post Advanced Search

MSE News: Starling Bank launches vertical debit card

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
23 replies 4K views
MSE_NaomiMSE_Naomi MSE Staff
452 posts
Second Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
MSE Staff
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
App-based challenger bank Starling has today launched a vertical debit card which it claims will change the landscape of UK banking - but it's unlikely to be more than a gimmick for most...
Read the full story:
'Starling Bank launches vertical debit card'

OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Replies

• Westie983Westie983 Forumite, Board Guide
    4.9K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quite a good idea to be fair

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2020 #33 Total (£2300) £1900.00/£5000 = 38.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 13 #97 Total (£505)+£150.00/£500 = 30.00%
    Xmas 2020 £1 a Day #8 Total (£386)+£230.00/£365 = 63.01%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£600)+£30.00/£500 = 70.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2020 #11 Total (£720)+£4.00/£300 = 1.33%
    Total £2634.00/£6665 = 39.51%
    I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email [email protected]
  • ValiantSonValiantSon
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Westie983 wrote: »
    Quite a good idea to be fair

Westie983

Really? Why?

It isn't even an original idea.

How nice of MSE to give Starling some free advertising, however! ;)
  • buglawtonbuglawton Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    No card number visible on the card. That’s the real difference. Wonder what that dodgy waiter in Milan would have made of it. The one who snatched my card away to the back, only for it the be used fraudulently online a month later.

The reason the card companies are reluctant to anonymise their cards is, they fear we’ll spend less online without the number in front of our noses.
  • masonicmasonic Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    buglawton wrote: »
    No card number visible on the card. That!!!8217;s the real difference. Wonder what that dodgy waiter in Milan would have made of it. The one who snatched my card away to the back, only for it the be used fraudulently online a month later.

The reason the card companies are reluctant to anonymise their cards is, they fear we!!!8217;ll spend less online without the number in front of our noses.
    It's the current account sort code and account number that's missing. There isn't really much reason to have it on there. The 16 digit debit card number, expiry date and CVV2 are all conveniently located on the back of the card. Let's hope the dodgy waiters don't think to turn the card over ;)
  • buglawtonbuglawton Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    masonic wrote: »
    it's the current account sort code and account number that's missing. There isn't really much reason to have it on there. The 16 digit debit card number, expiry date and cvv2 are all conveniently located on the back of the card. Let's hope the dodgy waiters don't think to turn the card over ;)
    ______doh!______
  • Terry_TowellingTerry_Towelling Forumite
    2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is amazing; a debit card that allows you to pay for stuff! It's what? Oh, some of the text on the front is the wrong way around? At least they got it the right way round on the back.

Sarcasm aside, people are suckers for a gimmick or something that they think sets them apart from the crowd. It was like this when I worked in cards and card issuers realised that people enjoyed swan-king with their Gold Credit Cards, so Visa and MasterCard rules governing those cards got relaxed and whole card portfolios were converted. Gold then became the norm and we had the same circus with platinum. Then there were cards with your favourite photo on.

If it works as a marketing trick (which it probably will) then well done Starling but, to be honest, the card sits in your wallet/purse out of sight for most of the time so why would anybody really care.
  • Terry_TowellingTerry_Towelling Forumite
    2.3K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    No card number visible on the [front of the] card. .

Joking aside, there have historically been problems with retailers accepting cards when they don't have a conventional layout - the perception in those days (pre-CHIP) was that they may be counterfeit.

No problem with waiters in this household, I haven't been able to go out for a meal for 6 years.
  • ValiantSonValiantSon
    2.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    No card number visible on the card. That’s the real difference. Wonder what that dodgy waiter in Milan would have made of it. The one who snatched my card away to the back, only for it the be used fraudulently online a month later.

The reason the card companies are reluctant to anonymise their cards is, they fear we’ll spend less online without the number in front of our noses.

He'll have skimmed your card, so having the number printed on it wasn't important.
  • ceredigionceredigion Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    masonic wrote: »
    It's the current account sort code and account number that's missing. There isn't really much reason to have it on there. The 16 digit debit card number, expiry date and CVV2 are all conveniently located on the back of the card. Let's hope the dodgy waiters don't think to turn the card over ;)

If you have mutable accounts with the same bank how do you know which card relates to which account. We would have 14 identical cards
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    27.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn! I 'll have to get a new wallet now as all my present cards will only fit horizontally - Will I get one as a free gift if I apply?