August's Bring your Lunch to Work

Comments

• wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,188 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi, I need to get back on this - 20 days please.

I have already used 2 days up in shop-bought lunch (M&S - £3.60, Peel £7.95!!! + tuck shop 70p :eek:) and put a huge dent in my budget. I had budgeted £110 groceries for the month and any lunches bought comes out of that. Have just had a check and I have only £12.43 left, and though the cupboard is quite full, I know I need milk and cat food just today, so I'm going to have to take from other pots/earn a tad more. :(

Today's is: breakfast - toast + peanut butter. Lunch, homemade macaroni cheese, tomato, bread and butter, + banana. Quite carb heavy today, but I'm looking forward to it.
    Yesterday I had new potato salad, grated cheese and carrot, home grown lettuce, tomato, cucumber and homemade sour cream dressing (when I buy a tub of cream it gets flipping used!).

I don't like that I've burned through the budget this month, but I shall endeavour to be inventive!
    Back in debt again, but for a good cause. £17K to go

April Grocery Challenge: £124.93/200
    YTD loss 3.2kg/7lbs.

Decluttering 802/2024 Awards 🥇
    (10/04/24)
  • Thrice
    Thrice Posts: 159 Forumite
    Hi all!

I'm having a chuna salad sandwich again today, so I'm at 10/23 for this month!

Mr Thrice has hopefully remembered to lift his piece box, so he will be on 7/20 for his month. And he took a portion of my candy floss grapes yesterday, so well done on upping the fruit intake!

I'm actually really enjoying being involved in this challenge for the first time, it's been good to keep a note of the actual amount of days. If I was having a £3.50 meal deal I'd have spent £35 this month already for lunches, not including the bits and bobs I'd have spent along the way!

x
  • wishus
    wishus Posts: 1,188 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Well some people had a free lunch today. Loads of pizzas... boxes ready to be thrown out. I've helped myself to all the unopened sauces...
    Scuzzville and proud!
    Back in debt again, but for a good cause. £17K to go

April Grocery Challenge: £124.93/200
    YTD loss 3.2kg/7lbs.

Decluttering 802/2024 Awards 🥇
    (10/04/24)
  • squeeeek
    squeeeek Posts: 290 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just popping in with 11/18 days :)Pesto rice, tomato salad, sweet potato cubes and salmon for lunch today!
    Lloyds Loan (£0/£6000) Emergency Fund (£113/£1000) ISA £592.24
  • wishus wrote: »
    Well some people had a free lunch today. Loads of pizzas... boxes ready to be thrown out. I've helped myself to all the unopened sauces...
    Scuzzville and proud!

Ha, ha nothing wrong in that....I'd do that myself :D xx
  • Up to 10 days for me, a record I think but I really do want to hit my target this month :)

I had a ham and pickle sandwich on multigrain bread and a cuppa soup..it was really nice.

I had the Asda Smartprice cuppa soup, are there any other cheapy ones that taste nice?
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,092 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Missed this "official" route - I've been on and off bringing lunches in for a while. Rather than doing sandwiches etc, each Sunday I make up extra batch of various foods (bolognaise, chilli, etc), bulked up with various pulses, and freeze in Tupperware. Then take one in each day for lunch with crisps and fruit. (along with some cereal since I start early, and work provides free milk plus microwaves). Straight from freezer means no need for ice packs too :). Average cost per lunch is about a pound - dish is most of it, plus 17p bag of crisps (6 for a £1), and an apple from a bag of 5/6, again about 17p.
    Beats all the colleagues eating at Pret a manger every day...

Result, finally house hunting with a reasonable deposit :)
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • squeeeek
    squeeeek Posts: 290 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good evening all!

Todays pesto rice, salmon, sweet potato and asparagus concoction makes 12/18:)
    Lloyds Loan (£0/£6000) Emergency Fund (£113/£1000) ISA £592.24
  • A couple more this week, so 7/11 for me :)
  • Morning,

Everyone is doing really well :) I've updated the list on the first page.

Cheese and beetroot sandwich for me today and with the inevitable cuppa soup :)

Have a great day everyone x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport