Con artists - "Approved Garages"

Options

Comments

• Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hucker wrote: »
    What are you doing on a money saving forum if you're happy paying cowboy garages extra cash for no reason?

I would describe someone that would fit a part that might make a car more dangerous to me and other road users as far worse than a cowboy garage.
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    The last time I phoned my local independent garage they suggested that I bring my own parts.
    My dad bought one brand new car in the whole of his life. He decided it would be 'main dealer' for everything. The servicing they just didn't do-just stamped his book. He had brake pads changed and they squealed. He couldn't understand why the original brake pads were silent but the replacements were awful. How could replacements be different from the original he asked the main dealer? . "Oh we don't fit genuine parts, sir, they are far too expensive".
    The only trouble I've ever had was with a small motor factors that a relative of mine worked at. He got me employees rates. They had a knack for supplying the wrong items. I have never had any problems with eurocarparts.
  • Arklight
    Arklight Posts: 3,172 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    At the end of the day the OP is a loyal subject of her Britannic Majesty, Queen Elizabeth, and he should be able to buy parts from Eurocarparts and not fit them due to them being from Europe and him being a Brexit voter if he wants.

Obviously this is all an EU conspiracy.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Nobody knows what the law is.

What??? You're one of trump's Alt Fact babies, aren't you?

Of COURSE many people know what the law says - it's there in black and white on those links I gave.

Do you not understand what the site legislation.gov is? It's not opinion, it's not interpretation, it's a factual record of what the law says. it's even more reliable than wikipedia or infowars!
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    Options
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    What??? You're one of trump's Alt Fact babies, aren't you?

Of COURSE many people know what the law says - it's there in black and white on those links I gave.

Do you not understand what the site legislation.gov is? It's not opinion, it's not interpretation, it's a factual record of what the law says. it's even more reliable than wikipedia or infowars!

Indeed. Notwithstanding this, ignorance of the law is of course no defence.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    I guess the moral of the story is ask for a quote and if not happy then go elsewhere?

Really not too difficult!
  • davidwood681
    Options
    The next garage I went to had no problem fitting them. I will not pay markup on parts, and I never asked for any kind of warranty on the work. The only reason the garage won't fit my parts is so they can overcharge me for theirs. And it's not a small amount either, it's £60 for a £15 part. And if you type Farmers Autocare Alloa into Google, you'll see they rip everyone off - 2.7 out of 5 for reviews! They're known locally as the cowboys.

What do you do for a living?
    Do you get paid or do you do it for free?
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    Are you as misinformed as you sound?

Is "misinformed" a polite way of saying deluded?
  • George_Michael
    George_Michael Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    Options
    I will not pay markup on parts, and I never asked for any kind of warranty on the work.

You don't have to ask.
    Under EU & UK legislation, any work carried out must last a reasonable time and must be of a satisfactory standard and if it isn't, you have up to 6 years (in England) to pursue the business for a resolution.
    This is a statutory right and you can't sign this right away.

If the garage fitted your parts and they failed in a year or two, there would be nothing stopping you taking legal action against them.
  • hucker
    hucker Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    What about when you are in the rear of the car? You could kill the person sat in front of you.

You seem to want to have your own set of laws. That isn't how society works, thank God.

Then that would be up to the people sat in front, nobody else. I want laws to protect me from others, not myself or immediate family etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure