PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Why won't our house sell?

Options

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Was here to mention the double driveway. Can see clearly it's in front of the front garden on streetview - the EAs were mad not to include a pic of that. Much better than having a car under your front window.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • brewthebear
    brewthebear Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    House nice but very univiting maybe you have gone to far in being neutral It does not feel cosy or like a home just a shell ?? my opinion anyway.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If I was nitpicking, I'd say that the fish eye lens effect in the photos is a little offputting, while some of the photos either don't add anything, or actually detract from the appeal (eg the back garden looks unkempt, the hall and landing shots look like a prison).

However, the real problems are revealed if you look at its listing in the sold prices: it's leasehold, and you're expecting to achieve a sold price of £30k more than you paid for it 5 years ago when you don't appear to have done anything to it.

I think you might have to recognise that whatever price rises Manchester may have experienced in the past, it might not add £30k to the value of your house in the here and now; and however reasonably priced you think it is, the housebuying public don't share that view.

Number 3, which sold in 2016 is probably a better comparison....
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    1. Can't see where the "double driveway" mentioned is? Can't even see a single driveway.

2. Can't see the "large rear garden". I can see a small garden. So either your rear garden is being described rather inaccurately or you have another garden elsewhere that isnt shown. Hazards a guess it's the first option out of those two - ie that small rear garden is being misdescribed as "large rear garden".
  • Mrsburg
    Mrsburg Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    If I was nitpicking, I'd say that the fish eye lens effect in the photos is a little offputting, while some of the photos either don't add anything, or actually detract from the appeal (eg the back garden looks unkempt, the hall and landing shots look like a prison).

However, the real problems are revealed if you look at its listing in the sold prices: it's leasehold, and you're expecting to achieve a sold price of £30k more than you paid for it 5 years ago when you don't appear to have done anything to it.

I think you might have to recognise that whatever price rises Manchester may have experienced in the past, it might not add £30k to the value of your house in the here and now; and however reasonably priced you think it is, the housebuying public don't share that view.

Number 3, which sold in 2016 is probably a better comparison....[/URL]

The pricing isn't just based on generic price rises, it's based on like for like sales and where we've done considerable improvements versus the same houses. Our next door neighbours sold for 190 2 months ago (annoyingly not on land registry yet) and another house round the corner went for 195 last year. Our house is a much higher spec than those due to improvements we've made.
  • eidand
    eidand Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    to be fair the house looks decent, rooms are decent size, but ...
    this looks like a new build and if that's the case, that's where my interest would end. I assume management fees and poor quality build and walk away.
  • SallyDucati
    SallyDucati Posts: 560 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I also think a few pictures on the walls would help, and something to make the garden look a bit more interesting.

The garden does seem rather overlooked so that might be putting some people off. Also how long is the lease? I know some new build houses can have shorter ones (my sisters was originally 125 years) and it think it does affect peoples interest in houses whereas it's expected in flats.

You say your house is much higher spec over others that have sold - what are the improvements?

Having said all that I don't think 3 weeks is much time, not everything sells in a week (I may soon be going to look at one that's been on the market since January)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 11 July 2018 at 5:33PM
    Options
    eidand wrote: »
    to be fair the house looks decent, rooms are decent size, but ...
    this looks like a new build and if that's the case, that's where my interest would end. I assume management fees and poor quality build and walk away.

That is a valid point.

Being from the area of the country I'm from - stuff like "management fees" literally doesnt cross my mind. I assume everything (anywhere in the country is "normal"- ie no management fees/ all roads adopted/etc/etc).

But - it is clear that these days and (for some areas of the country) this isnt the norm/hasnt been the norm ever - and I would say it's necessary to make the point "All is normal...." - because of just how many houses aren't in that position.:eek:

Admits to being shocked/horrified that one even has to "ask the question"....

EDIT: Leasehold - !!!!!!????? That ain't "normal"....it's "literally doesnt cross the mind of many of us"!!!

Is there any way to get the house from "leasehold" to "normal"?? I know I just looked at the house through "It's normal" glasses - and wouldnt have clicked it isnt/thought didnt cross my mind. That may be where the problem lies - ie if it ain't "normal" - its "leasehold".

I can understand why someone would take the house as being "normal" on the face of it and I was certainly taking that for granted personally - then investigate further and think "WTH???? Next please". So, in your position, if it aint "normal" - what can you do to make it "normal" (ie not leasehold)??
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    1. Can't see where the "double driveway" mentioned is? Can't even see a single driveway.

This could be the single biggest factor for the lack on interest. I can see from google street view the property does indeed come with a double drive but for some unfathomable reason the EA decided to take a photo of the front of the house which makes it look like there's no drive at all. Anyone skimming through Rightmove listings who needs a house with a drive would go likely go straight past this one.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you need to adjust your expectations.

The two best times to sell houses are Easter to June and Mid September to mid November.

The summer is always a difficult time as people are focused on Holidays, especially if they have children.

Three weeks is nothing and it seems you have succumbed to the Estate Agents sale patter. Remember these people are the lowest form of life that exists on Earth, have no morals and are blatant liars.

They have promised you the earth and delivered nothing. Welcome to the shady world of Estate Agency
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure