PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Why won't our house sell?

Options
Mrsburg
Mrsburg Posts: 22 Forumite
edited 11 July 2018 at 11:53AM in House buying, renting & selling
Hi this is my first post so please bear with me.

We are struggling to sell our house. It has been on the market for almost 3 weeks and the EA assured us we'd have 15 views and 10 offers withing the first 4 weeks. I appreciate that is sales patter but what we've had is very disappointing.

We've had 6 views, no one had requested a second viewing and no offers. Feedback has been limited, along the lines of "not suitable".

The EA has sold lots of houses locally recently so we do believe it's fairly priced.

To us the pictures seem good and portray the house well, but I'm very interested in any feedback or tips anyone can offer - the good, the bad and the ugly!

The media tells us Manchester is the fastest growing property market in the UK but it doesn't seem to be translating to our home. We've missed out on several homes we're interested in buying locally because they're just going too fast.

MSE won't let me post the link - how can I get round this?

Edit - broken link here: right move . co . uk / property for sale / property - 6 5 9 3 6 8 5 7 . h t m l

Comments

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Post the link with a space in.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Post a broken link and someone will fix it.

But the answer is that it's too expensive.
  • Mrsburg
    Options
    OK thanks will do that.
  • golddustmedia
    golddustmedia Posts: 835 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 July 2018 at 11:56AM
    Options
    Typical reasons for a slow response to selling:

Estate agent is doing a bad job of marketing or not pushing the property - I had experience of this so went into the agency on a day when the staff I'd dealt with were not there and I posed as a potential buyer. They didn't show me my house despite asking for one just like it!

Photographs OR actual visit is poor - It's surprising how many people have a house tidy for photographs yet when you go on a viewing there is clutter everywhere or bad smells etc. Maybe consider a de-clutter or even hire a storage unit for some excess items?

Price - Agents will often entice you to sign up with a high valuation that's achievable. Maybe investigate what the ACTUAL selling price has been for similar properties? Lets face it, if your property price was low there would likely have been an offer or at least serious queries.

Kerb appeal - It's surprising how a little effort makes a big difference. £25 spent on a bag of compost and some basic plants that are in season can liven up a front door/garden with a flowering pot or border. When people come to view a house, the 30 seconds waiting for the front door to be answered is probably when they make up their mind about the house! Even a bunch of flowers in a vase in the kitchen or a bowl of fruit helps!
  • Mrsburg
    Options
    Broken link posted.

The house seems well priced to us - same as what next door sold for (and ours is higher spec) only 2 months ago and other similar houses have sold for more money a year ago.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    3 weeks seems nothing to me. What do others think?
  • Mrsburg
    Options
    Typical reasons for a slow response to selling:

Estate agent is doing a bad job of marketing or not pushing the property - I had experience of this so went into the agency on a day when the staff I'd dealt with were not there and I posed as a potential buyer. They didn't show me my house despite asking for one just like it!

Photographs OR actual visit is poor - It's surprising how many people have a house tidy for photographs yet when you go on a viewing there is clutter everywhere or bad smells etc. Maybe consider a de-clutter or even hire a storage unit for some excess items?

Price - Agents will often entice you to sign up with a high valuation that's achievable. Maybe investigate what the ACTUAL selling price has been for similar properties? Lets face it, if your property price was low there would likely have been an offer or at least serious queries.

Thank you for your reply. Could be worth doing that with the Estate Agents, thanks. I might ask a family member to pose or something.

Without blowing our trumpet we have left the house in excellent condition for all viewings - clearing things so it looks exactly the same on photographs. We already have a storage unit where a lot of clutter went before photos and it's still there. I really don't think that's an issue, it certainly looks a damn lot better than all the other houses we've viewed as buyers.

Price - it is competitively priced as per other houses sold by the same agent on the same estate, very similar houses. We're completely stumped!!
  • Mrsburg
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    3 weeks seems nothing to me. What do others think?

My Mum keeps saying this. But houses in Manchester just seem to be flying off so we're worried. But maybe it isn't too long? Thanks for your reply.
  • TamsinC
    TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
    Options
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts