PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Why won't our house sell?

Options

Comments

• phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm amazed to be the first to mention this isn't Manchester it's Salford. Having studied and briefly worked in Salford you couldn't pay me to buy a leasehold there. Many areas of Salford are rough as f*** and you're not a million miles away from the rough area

The house is nice but when you read leased one tends to think not a chance. Not sure there is much you can do other than wait and hope

Don't sit on the fence mate!!
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The reality is that there are plenty of houses like this, and plenty more if there is a big BTL sell off, people don`t believe that a house is a money machine any more so it will be much harder to sell than previously, price needs to reflect this IMO.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'll be honest, have not read the thread but my initial reaction was... less than positive. "Doing it rather too brown", perhaps? It is possible to be too neutral, I think.

Sorry, OP but it looks completely characterless, never mind soulless to me. Nothing sets it apart, nothing draws you in. I think some personal touches would go a long way; little splashes of colour, a throw, a pot plant, you know, something to say it is a home rather than just a house.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There are a lot of threads on here from people who are stumped as to why their house hasn't sold. Their estate agents are stumped as to why their house hasn't sold. They would like to know why. Then when people post about it in the way that someone looking at it with a view to buying it might view it they say that we are being rude. Anything that anyone on here notices as a negative about the house is going to be something that a prospective buyer notices that is likely to put them off even before viewing. So that cuts down the number of viewers for a start.

There have been posters who have asked advice taken the advice on board and sold their houses. Then there are others who don't want the question answered but just want posters to say how nice their house is and they are also stumped as to why it hasn't sold.

What some of the posters don't realise that they are selling one house. Their potential buyers could be viewing lots of houses and comparing them against each other. Any house with several negatives will be at the bottom of everyone's list. At the moment modern leasehold houses put a lot of people off because there is so much bad publicity about the ground rent. Old leasehold houses where the ground rent is something like £10 per year and is not likely to ever rise don't bother many people it is the modern ones that people don't want to buy where the ground rents starts in the £100s and rises. Why would anyone want to buy a modern leasehold house when they can find one that is just as good and freehold?

The basic thing is that if you are trying to sell a house and no one is viewing then there is something that is putting people off. Estate agents can't force people to view a house that they don't want to buy. Some sellers think that a house is not selling because the estate agents are working hard enough to force people to view. You can't force people to view and you can't force people to buy a house they don't want. You also can't force people to pay your asking price if they think it is too much.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Man, I gotta read this thread now.
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Smodlet wrote: »
    I'll be honest, have not read the thread but my initial reaction was... less than positive. "Doing it rather too brown", perhaps? It is possible to be too neutral, I think.

Sorry, OP but it looks completely characterless, never mind soulless to me. Nothing sets it apart, nothing draws you in. I think some personal touches would go a long way; little splashes of colour, a throw, a pot plant, you know, something to say it is a home rather than just a house.

This ^

Apart from the leasehold issue, which would be an immediate no-no for me, sadly there is nothing that makes your house stand out from the crowd, OP. Imho it needs some character adding, both inside and out. Something that makes it a home rather than just another property........ little touches that can be taken to your new home.

Three weeks is no time at all though.
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • SallyDucati
    SallyDucati Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    Just had another look at the ad on Rightmove. OP - the pics of the driveway make it look much more obvious, and mentioning 995 year lease and peppercorn rent in the initial points is a good idea, should alay some peoples fears of new build leases.

Hope it works for you!
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    Options
    seashore22 wrote: »
    They are talking about the leasehold house scandal on radio 4 at this minute. It is becoming more and more a negative in buyers minds.

Yep, and so it should.
  • _CC_
    _CC_ Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    Yep, and so it should.

CrashyClown, you had already replied to that quote.

Yet again trying to bump these types of threads onto page 1. Sad.

There's a thread about renting in Edinburgh, why not be helpful and share you vast experience being a tenant in there instead?
  • Blueice
    Options
    Sorry if it has already been said , I think the market quietens down a bit in summer people focus on end of school and vacation. But it only takes one viewer that is interested to get the purchase so don't be disheartened. I think the best months for selling are April /May and September .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure