Unusually high water bills

I contacted Yorkshire Water querying my bills over the last 11 years. They sent out several crews who eventually conceded that the meter was still registering running water even though my supply was turned off at the stop tap.
They then dug up the entire length of the external pipework and concluded the leak must be in the property as their pipework was ok.
So, I called the housing association and a plumber confirmed the water boards findings.
Cue even more digging and an eventual cure to the leak. At no stage of my occupancy has any sign of leakage ever occurred. Now this is where the fun starts. Having paid almost double what my bill should have been I enquired with the housing association how they would reimburse me for the high bills I'd been receiving. They told me they would not consider any reimbursement as I should have noticed the increase and report the issue sooner.
The problem is it's my first property and I'd no idea what an average water bill should be, so I paid it every month assuming Yorkshire Water would act in my best interests and it would be similar to everyone else on the street. It's only after a neighbour told me her metered bill was half what I've been paying that the alarm bells started ringing.
South Yorks Housing are still adamant they are not responsible for any overpayments. Has anyone else had an issue of this kind and if so what's the best route to take?


  • Jackandn
    Jackandn Posts: 23 Forumite
    I think you are better at directing this at Yorkshire Water rather than the housing association. Yorkshire Water may have a responsibility here but if they aren't willing to help you will have to go to the ombudsman. Normally within the house there would be a sign that there was a leak (but by the sounds of it yours was able to be drained away safely). So they are right in that sense that you are responsible for the water used.

    However given the water you were paying and that they would have taken water readings over that time. What you can claim is they failed to report to you that you had continuous use of water or unusually high bills. When there is a leak it may have been possible to tell from the meter reading that you had continuous use of water suggesting a leak or it may have been reasonable to advice you that your bills were unusually high so you could look into it. By not doing either you may be able to claim negligence on their part for allowing the problem to go on for so long.

    I would first put this to Yorkshire water via phone and if they don't agree (or you disagree with the amount they offer) you can then go to the consumer council for water and lodge a complaint with them which has the power to decide in disputes like these.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards