Savings for the Boy & Me

Comments

• Morning,

The meeting at work the other day was rather tiring. It some ways it felt like a kick to the teeth as I was just coming back and I was already unsure of what was happening. It seems like a lot of things need to change and it is expected to be down to us nurses to implement it. It should be across the board really but hey we will see. Hopefully once other things are out the way, it should get back to normal. We just really need to implement things that are in place and actually work as a team rather then against one another. I managed to get half of what I needed to do, done but I still need my appraisal doing.

I managed to return some items that I'd bought and instead treated myself to some new makeup. I also bought myself a lovely piece of wall art which I've had my eye on for a while. I originally resisted buying this and waiter it out a while but in the end decided I wanted it for my bedroom. It's a picture of the world map in pale, neutral colours and it just reminds me of all the travelling I'd like to do.

On Friday the boy had his ice skating and then we went to our local theme park with my cousin and her daughter and we had a really good day. It was tiring and I was glad to get home but the boy got on lots of rollercoasters which he described as epic. We then got home, showered, fed and curled up and watched some TV before having an early night.

I then had my first shift back yesterday which went well considering how nervous I was about going back. I soon fell back into the swing of things and got my head in the game. I just need to remember to pace myself and not take on more then I can. It's about dividing the work equally between us all and delegating where possible. I'm back again tomorrow and Friday.

Last night we went to the indoor climbing centre with my mum and the boy pushed himself and managed to overcome his fear and go higher on some of the activities then he has been before. I'm so happy and proud of him.

This upcoming week, we have a few things planned before we go away to Cornwall. This includes another trip to the indoor climbing centre, a trip to the zoo and a day out at the theme park again with our family. In between this I also have a meeting with my CPN and need to pick up my prescription for when I go away and I have an appointment for counselling through work. I need to keep track of everything and get things in order for the upcoming months.

I managed to complete my work portfolio and that is all revised and sent off by my manager. I've paid my registration fee so that's done for another year.

I've a few other things I need to do and renew but I'm doing it all in my stride.

Today I'm going to focus on sorting out my online banking and go through what cards I have for different things and sort it all out into my new purse so I feel more organised. I need to review my upcoming spends. I'm also hoping to sort out my makeup and brushes ready for our holiday.

I've ordered a few things lately including some new products I want to try out and will see how I get on with them. One is a new razor that's supposed to reduce friction when shaving so I'm intrigued with that. It was a rather cheap option compared to buying new ones in the shops.

So we'll see.

:)
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hope you are in Cornwall having fun in the great weather. I am off to do some ironing in my exciting life - not.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • Morning,

We arrived back home late last night and we've had an early start this morning. I bet the boy will sleep tonight.

Cornwall was amazing, even if we did spend a lot of money but it was all within budget regarding activities and food. I also bought myself some jewellery whilst there which is lovely. I got a pair of earrings and necklace with the tree of life on. I'm really into things resembling the tree of life at the moment and feel it is appropriate to personal circumstances and that there is always room for growth in life.

We did many activities including the Eden Project, St Ives, Lands end, horse trekking, a visit into Polperro, beach days and a zipwire/giant swing over the quarry. We also had lots of fun doing crabbing and caught around twelve crabs!

All in all, we had a brilliant time. I'm glad to be home though as I'm so tired and have a lot to do this upcoming week before we go on our cruise which is this Saturday. It's certainly come round quick.

I have quite a few things I need to get done and will pace myself this week and get as much done as possible. Once our next holiday is over, we have then got my sisters wedding to look forward to and things should quieten down after that, ready for Halloween, Bonfire night and Christmas.

This year has been a year of creating memories and getting myself back on my feet. There is still a lot I want to do but I can take it in my stride. We have lots of plans for next year so I need to knuckle down and get things sorted.

I hope everyone has had a lovely summer! I can't wait for autumn, it is just around the corner.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • savingwannabe
    Forumite
    Wow. Glad you enjoyed the summer trip to Cornwall and I bet the Cruise will be amazing. I'm gardening today. lol.
  • We are two days away from our Cruise and I'm yet to pack. I've been shopping this morning for the last minute things we need and have spent a small fortune.

I need to activate my credit cards so I'm able to use them abroad for any expenses. I currently hold a balance on one due to other holiday shopping but I'm not worried about it, I could pay it off if needed to but I want to leave enough in my bank account to cover actual costs. I've three different cards I'm taking along with me so hopefully all should be fine.

I'm just trying not to forget anything.

I'm off to meet a friend for lunch today as a last minute catch up before I go away. I'm also meeting another friend tomorrow morning and inbetween I'll do all other things needed.

I've sorted out travel insurance. I've been quite poorly with a chest infection but I'm now on medication which will hopefully sort it and get me back to where I was.

I've been working the last few days which has been stressful at times, I'm glad to get a break and I'll soon get back into it properly after our holiday.

Then the next main event after our holiday is my sisters wedding so after all that is over and done with it should quieten down.

Hope everyone is okay!
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • savingwannabe
    Forumite
    I hope your chest infection is getting better. Happy packing and have a wonderful time on the cruise. Whenever I think of a cruise I remember a 1970s programme called 'Love Boat'. I hope it is like that and you have a ball.
  • Hello, from the Caribbean! :)

We are midway through our cruise right now and so far it's been brilliant albeit a bit spendy at times. However it's all been worth it and we will have many memories to treasure!

One of the most memorable things so far has been swimming with dolphins in Mexico. We got some lovely pictures from it and once home I'm going to get these printed and put into an album.

We have had plenty of beach days, walks around the islands and general touristy things such as shopping and have been bartering along the way.

We've three more islands to visit before we have one more day at sea and then our adventure will end.

It's been amazing and the boy has enjoyed every moment. He's currently in kids club so I'm in the room chilling out, I'm a tad red from the sun today. It's been hot but breezy on the top deck so not always the best combo!

I'm keeping an eye on all my funds and trying to be careful as much as possible. Rather then book excursions onboard the ship this week, we are just going to get off on the island and organise things ourselves as this will work out cheaper.

Some of our family decided to dine at speciality restaurants where you have to pay but we decided to stick to the main dining room which is just as nice rather then waste unnecessary money. We also managed to get a free meal in one of the top speciality restaurants due to a complaint we had which is a bonus!

I withdrew some cash using one of my travel credit cards and got a really good exchange rate compared to the prices we were getting at home and I have used another for our onboard expenses to go on.

There are little things I forgot to factor in that keep adding up so I'm trying to do this as I go along. I'll worry more or sort things out once I get home and know where I stand.

Anyway hope everyone has a nice day! I'll update more when possible.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • atrixa
    atrixa Posts: 549
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    That sounds lovely! I hope you've enjoyed your last day.
  • Atrixa, our last day in Sunday. We have two more ports to visit after today and then one day at sea before our adventure ends.

This week rather then book excursions onboard, we have decided to do it ourselves which is working out much cheaper.

For example, a trip we wanted to do today was $44 a person, meaning $132 in total. Instead of booking this, we got off the ship and took a local taxi which cost $16 each, bringing the total to $48. That's a $84 saving and we had the same experience doing it ourselves. We went to a place called Maho beach in St Maarten, it's beautiful. It's right by the airport and the planes fly so low over you. It's breathtaking. We took our own bottled water off the ship for drinks and spent a good three hours there. The boy enjoyed watching the planes fly and spent most of his time in the sea diving down to collect shells. Hes had a whale of a time.

We are doing the same principals tomorrow when we visit our next port San Juan. The trip we are doing is around a castle/ruins and will cost us around $7 each rather then pay $39pp on board the ship excursions.

The boy is now currently in the kids club burning some energy and I'm chilling out with a non alcoholic cocktail lol! The drinks package we have includes all non alcoholic drinks, hot beverages and bottled water. The boy just uses mine when needed. I didn't want to pay for a package for him that wasnt worth it. No one has ever questioned us.

I am still money saving whilst here and have promised myself a cheaper week!

Once I'm back I'll be putting myself onto a money diet and build my funds back up for new adventures. I've brought pretty money boxes for this for all loose change and will maybe look into saving all £2 coins. I'll see what challenges I want to take on or set myself.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • Afternoon,

We docked into San Juan, Puerto Rico today. We went off the ship ourselves and explored one of the local castles which was really good. For some reason admission was free and we took drinks with us meaning we have had a spend free day. It's been really hot today so a couple of hours was enough for us, so we got back on the ship and the boy asked to go to kids club so I'm child free for the afternoon. I'm staying in the shade though for a while to cool off.

Tonight we are going to one of the speciality restaurants which is complimentary due to a complaint we put in. It's suppose to be one of the best on the ship so I'm looking forward to it. We haven't done any of the others as we have had no problems with the dining room each night and it would just have bumped up our costs. We have three course meals each night and the food is amazing.

I've paid off one of my credit cards today from last weeks onboard balance. I hadn't changed it to my 0% card so it went into my Halifax clarity card which was a bit of a bummer. However the exchange rate was $1.30 to the pound which is the best I've had yet so I can't complain too much. I'll change the other over later on when I go to guest services.

I've bought a few bits and bobs/souvenirs to take home with us. I think I have enough dollars left that I withdrew to pay for any expenses tomorrow. I possibly may need to withdraw another small amount to cover costs of tipping. We removed the gratuities onboard from our account and are tipping what we want to each person. It soon adds up and at least we know this way it's going directly to the person we want to. Last week my mum tipped really well, possibly a bit too much. It's up to me to tip this week so I'll work what I think is appropriate.

I've done all my online banking and have aligned each account up to where I wanted them to be. I'm still saving money into each category and all is building up well. Once I'm back I'll edit the categories and begin saving for different things once more. After Octobers budget, it shall all be changing as I will no longer be saving into my sisters wedding fund so I can divert the money elsewhere.

Anyhow that's pretty much it for now.

Have a nice day everyone!
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing