Savings for the Boy & Me

18910111214»

Replies

• Chandelier.Chandelier. Forumite
    933 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Morning,

I can't believe it's been over a month since I last updated this diary. Time really does fly.

I'm pleased to say that May has been a pretty positive month overall.

I went on holiday with manfriend to Ibiza and it's one of the best holidays I had in a long time. I think we were pretty MSE and kept costs to a minimum. We did a mixture of making up picnics/eating in as well as eating out sometimes. We hired a car and explored the whole island, visiting many beaches and different interesting places. It was a really chilled out experience and I loved spending time with manfriend. We get on really well and have never had an argument or a crossed word. He just gets me really well and we somehow just gel well with each other.. I guess opposites to attract. We have decided there are plenty more places we want.to visit, so we've set aside some dates that we will both book off work and get planning. It's nice that we are planning things for the future. I'm really falling for him, he just gives me butterflies all the time and makes me feel good about myself, #gushalert ;).

On the note of holidays, I still need to plan mine and the boys trip away for the Summer. I've held off a little while until I'm sure of what I want to do. I've decided to only visit around three places in Italy which we will choose carefully and I may take him on a break later on in the year in October half term. I think it would be a lot more manageable and realistic. We can always travel back to other new places next year. I'll still make the most of my annual leave in the summer, making sure I recharge my batteries. I can plan lots of days out and spread things out.

Money wise, I've now gone onto half pay from work so I'm down around £300pm. I've looked at other areas where I can cut back and I've somehow made it work for the month.

I've had quite a few spends including buying my mum a football season for £269 to say thankyou for decorating my room. She spent quite a bit doing it up but I now have a safe place to retreat to, somewhere I can relax.

My CC balance is coming down and I'm making payments wherever I can as well as the monthly direct debit.

I've also set up a standing order to put £25pm into a savings account for the boy. I know it's not a vast amount but every little helps and I'll no doubt making further payments along the way, where funds allow. I switched his account to one that pays 2% interest each month. I chose this one rather then one with higher interest as it's more easily accessible should we ever need to and it does not require a minimum amount each month.

Once I'm back at work properly and earning my full wage again, I can reassess all my finances and hopefully put more away into savings each month.

I'm still using different bank accounts for different purposes and it's still all working well. It just gives me several options with all the accounts.

I'm going to make the effort of watching what I spent entertainment wise. I spend quite a bit on eating out and I want to review this where possible.

Anyway, onto other things.

I had a meeting at work earlier on in the week and we have discussed my return to work. I am aiming for the end of June/beginning of July which I'm looking forward to. I'll have a phased return to ease me back in. I'll be glad to see all my friends again.

This month shall be a pretty busy one as it's my birthday. I've decided I'm going to celebrate it properly this year compared to previous years. I think me and manfriend are going to visit York and have an overnight stay on the day of my actual birthday which should be nice. I am then going to arrange a couple of other things with my friends and just enjoy myself. I'm also going to treat myself to having my hair done. I haven't had it done for over four months now, it could do with a trim.

I didn't end up keeping up with the healthy eating/going to the gym as other things got in the way. I am now the heaviest I have ever been and it's been grating on me- I feel grim. I'm hoping to get back into a routine of some sort, one that is realistic. I'm not going to rush into anything as we all know slow and steady wins the race. I'm going to do a mixture of the 5:2 and 16:8 method and see how I get a long. It's the snacking I need to stop.

I'm also proud to announce I am still smoke free after three months which is a massive achievement to me. This has more then likely contributed to the weight gain but at least I can do something about that.

Anyway that's pretty much it for now. I'm going to focus on myself and the boy and plan all our amazing adventures.

Bye for now :)
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    :D
  • Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear you sounding so positive and good news on your relationship with man friend. I'm sure the weight loss will come when you are ready it obviously doesn't bother him. Well done on the continued no smoking and good luck with your return to work.
    0% credit card £1360 ~ paid in full
    0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
    Emergency fund £810.23 / £1000 (locksmith £189.77)
    Aiming to retire early in 2025 🥳
  • thrifty-hayleythrifty-hayley Forumite
    120 Posts
    Hi Chandelier :hello:

Sounds like you are doing really well. Good luck with the phased return to work and well done on staying smoke free :T
    #84 Make £2020 in 2020 challenge
    Grocery Challenge January £0/£80
  • savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    16.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello Chandelier hurrah for posting. I am so glad things are looking so good. This New York Trip sounds fab. Not smoking is a massive achievement and required lots of hard work I am sure. It's great that you rewarded your mum for the decorating. The savings account for the boy is great too. Happy gyming, take it easy at work and focus on nice things. The summer is here and things will be great. Hugs, sw.
    Try to have a minimal spend year in 2021
    Saving change in money box.
    933 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Morning,

I thought I'd post a weekly update. It's been rather quiet this past week and I've stayed inside for most of the time apart from going to the gym. I felt like I just needed a break from people.

I have been productive in some ways in regards to sorting out travel plans.

Manfriend has booked a night away to York for my birthday which I'm looking forward to. We will most likely spend two days exploring the sights. He says that there is a surprise so I'm left wondering what as I already know we are going. We'll see.

We are also doing the Coastal 300 route in Scotland in the next few weeks so I have booked accomodation for that- its works out that we are away for 3/4 days. I shopped around for the best deals and found some really cool places which ate different. One night we are staying in a country house, then a b&b and finally a farm. I'm pretty excited and we have chose lots of different places to visit and highlighted it all visually on a map.

I've made a rough plan of the trip to Italy for the boy and me. I have compared flight, travel and accomodation prices and wrote up a loose itenary. It still needs some tweaks though but when I added it all up, it all came to approximately £1,000 for us both. I'll just need spending money for the rest of the trip but will try to do it as cheap as possible. I'll crack on with this, this upcoming week.

Overall, I have a few things I need to get done/sorted but will pace myself. I have quite a few appointments upcoming so I need to get organised whilst also fitting everything else in.

I went to the doctors recently and we are doing some bloods to check if there are any underlying conditions going on in regards to my health. I have a few concerns but these have been listened to and dealt with which is good.

I've not done too bad on the healthy eating front- it's not perfect but I've cut out the snacking and overeating. I've still allowed myself treats but more in moderation. I need to break the cycle of snacking and heavy meals but with all that's coming up these next couple of weeks it may prove quite hard. I'll try my best.

In regards to finances, everything is on track. I've been keeping tabs of my savings and have moved funds around a bit. I have a bit of a surplus left over that I've put into my Monzo account just to pay for any added extras. I've decided that even though I'm saving, I'm still going to have fun and enjoy myself. I don't want to be too strict/obsessed with saving that I miss out on things but I need to find a healthy balance.

The only other thing I've been focusing on is manfriends birthday. He is 28 this year so I told him I'll be buying that many presents. I've bought a few things so far, mostly related to inside jokes. I need some ideas on further things to get.

But that's pretty much it for now.

I hope everyone is well and I'll try to update this a bit more where possible.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
  • thrifty-hayleythrifty-hayley Forumite
    120 Posts
    Your trip to Italy sounds amazing and £1000 seems pretty good for 2 people. Definitely pace yourself, I know how overwhelming it can feel when everything piles up. I try to write everything down and divide it into chunks to make it feel more manageable.

Well done on the healthy eating :T Also loving the 28 presents for 28 years idea!
    #84 Make £2020 in 2020 challenge
    Grocery Challenge January £0/£80
    16.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love hearing about your travel plans. I would love to go to Italy. Happy planning and happy birthday for man friend. :beer:
    933 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Hello!

I've had a bit of an up and down week this week with my moods but I'm glad to say it's improving now and I'm ready to celebrate my birthday on Monday! We have lots of things planned for the next week.

I've had a couple of concerns regarding my physical health.. blood tests highlighted a couple of things which I've now seem a doctor about who has reassured me and referred me on to the appropriate services. I now feel a lot better for that. I've also decided to come off one of my medications related to my mental health- the cons outweigh the pros and it's not a decision I've taken lightly. I will look at alternate medications at my next consultant appointment and discuss my options then.

Aside from that, things have been ticking along just fine. I've had a couple of spends here and there but nothing abysmal.

I have a lot of events planned over the next 7-10 days to celebrate my birthday so I'll be kept busy. I head to York on Sunday where we will stay overnight and explore the city.

In regards to the travel plans for the boy & me, I've finally narrowed our ventures down as follows:

- Milan, 3 days.
    - Rome, 4 days.
    - Naples, 3 days.

We will then travel back to Milan as the flights home are much cheaper from there (a saving of around £120).

I've been researching and putting together loose internarys/places of interest that allows us flexibility. I've chose to stay in a less amount of places but for much longer so we have the time to explore more properly without feeling rushed. I've all sorts of ideas of what I'm going to do and which will get the boy involved. I'm going to make small quizzes for him to complete in relation to our adventures beforehand, gather some maps for him to read directions whilst there and lots of other little things in the run up.

I just need to do a tiny bit more research and then I shall book!

Although I wanted to visit more places and go for a longer time period, I've decided to be more realistic. I want us to fall in love with the country and get to know it bit by bit and create long lasting memories of each part. We can always go back in the future and explore other places. It's nothing to do with finances but it's looking at the bigger picture. What I don't spend can go towards further future adventures.

Aside from that, there are a few things I want to get done over the next few weeks.

I still have things in my room which need my attention and I'm ready to declutter. I have far too many old shoes which I no longer wear and I've decided I'm just going to get rid of them. I'm also going to have a sort out of other items of clothing and see what is what. My plan is to get rid of some things and replace them with new ones, things such as socks.

Although I have lots of different saving accounts for different purposes, I don't put anything side for clothing. I've decided that's going to change and from now on, I'm going to put aside £25pm for this for the future. And when it comes to needing anything new then it can come from this.

I'm making the most of the weather being dry and doing all of our washing to save doing it at the weekend. By hanging it out to dry on the washing line, its saving electricity.. every little helps ;).

Our road trip around the south west of Scotland (Coastal 500 route) is all planned. Manfriend has been having some issues with his car so I think we have decided to go in mine which will give it a good run and will also encourage me to get my confidence back, driving in new places. We can both take turns driving and each enjoy the views.

Tonight, I am off for an Indian meal with my friends as an early celebration for my birthday. I'm pretty excited and love a good Indian. It's not something I have very often.

I have no plans as of yet for tomorrow and will discuss this with the boy later. I'm hoping to look at maybe doing something free or low cost that will get us out the house.

We have been spending more time with each other as he hasn't had his ice skating lessons. These have been cut back due to reduced ice time so I am saving some money there. I'm going to just let it build up to give me a cushion for future lessons and other things.

We have been doing other little things to save money. An example is we have a local ice cream place that do amazing milkshakes. We decided to buy the ingredients from a supermarket to make at home. The boy has enjoyed this and says he cant taste the difference.. we shall be getting our moneys worth.

That's it really for now. I'm unsure when I'll next get the chance to update but I'll keep a close eye on things as I go a long :D.
    Chandelier.
    Current Debt Repaid:
    £104/£619.

Check out my Diary
    16.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday - it all sounds great. Really enjoy the holidays!!!! Wonderful.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News