How far in advance of contract end to shop?

My broadband (bb) contract with BT ends in about 7 weeks. I may try to haggle, but if i don't get a good deal, i want to move to someone else who will give a good deal. Here's the thing: on one hand, i don't want to be without bb for more than a couple hours; on the other hand, i don't want to pay for too many days of overlap, if i can help it.
Q1: If i want to leave BT on the last day of my 18-mo contract, do i have to give 30-days notice?
Q2: If i see a deal i like with a competitor, can i take it but say i want it to start in 7 weeks? or 5 weeks? or 3 weeks? etc. In other words, when can i actually shop around without having to pay for a long overlap?
Q3: If i arrange for new bb service to start with an ADSL competitor on the last day of my current BT contract, am I going to be without service for a full day or more?
Q4: If i move from an ADSL provider (such as BT) to Virgin, or vice-versa, can you have them overlap, and run concurrently for a day or two, so that you don't end up with no bb service?
Thanks everyone! :)
Andy

Comments

• Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    edited 23 June 2018 at 5:11PM
    andy2017 wrote: »
    My broadband (bb) contract with BT ends in about 7 weeks. I may try to haggle, but if i don't get a good deal, i want to move to someone else who will give a good deal. Here's the thing: on one hand, i don't want to be without bb for more than a couple hours; on the other hand, i don't want to pay for too many days of overlap, if i can help it.
    Q1: If i want to leave BT on the last day of my 18-mo contract, do i have to give 30-days notice?
    Q2: If i see a deal i like with a competitor, can i take it but say i want it to start in 7 weeks? or 5 weeks? or 3 weeks? etc. In other words, when can i actually shop around without having to pay for a long overlap?
    Q3: If i arrange for new bb service to start with an ADSL competitor on the last day of my current BT contract, am I going to be without service for a full day or more?
    Q4: If i move from an ADSL provider (such as BT) to Virgin, or vice-versa, can you have them overlap, and run concurrently for a day or two, so that you don't end up with no bb service?
    Thanks everyone! :)
    Andy

1. Yes, 30 /31 days before the end. To avoid early termination charges best to organise it for the following day after the minimum term at least.

2. Unlikely over 30 days, you would need to ask the new ISP.

3. Should change on the same day with an hour or or interruption, if all goes OK, when I changed from TT to Plusnet I had no service for over a week due to faulty PN equipment in in the exchange when I moved from PN to BT no such issue.

4. Yes as they are two totally separate services, one via phone line and the other via their own cable network unless you are also transferring the phone number.
  • loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Mine ends with bt on the 14th August. I understand you do not need to give 30 days notice for a switch but will do just in case. Will switch to plusnet. Not concerned about not having bb for a couple of days. Will arrange the switch after 15th. Interested to know how you are getting with your switch. Will try to haggle with bt Currently only get 2 mb not interested in fibre as very light user and am paying £21.99
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    14 Aug to actual switch date you will be charged the full BT standard price.
    Personally i would start the switch 1st Aug .
  • loulou41
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    14 Aug to actual switch date you will be charged the full BT standard price.
    Personally i would start the switch 1st Aug .

1st August will be still under contract with bt. Do you mean contacting plusnet on the 1st and ask to be switched from 15th August onwards? Thanks
  • JJ_Egan
    Initiate the switch yes .
    Otherwise 15th Aug is start of new rolling 30 day standard price contract .
  • JJ_Egan
    Note BT Price rise .

We're changing some of our landline, broadband, TV and Sport prices on 16 September 2018. We'll be writing to you between June and August to let you know about the price changes, with a clear breakdown of how each of your products will be affected.
  • loulou41
    How many times in a year bt increase their price? I think there was an increase in my bb in April.
  • loulou41
    Correction it was in Jan
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    loulou41 wrote: »
    How many times in a year bt increase their price? I think there was an increase in my bb in April.

About every 9 months recently.

July 2016 > April 2017 > January 2018 > September 2018

Good for those that switch and combine with various cashback offers though. If I decide to switch again in September, then BT will have paid me £80 for using their services.
  • andy2017
    andy2017 Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If a BT contract ends on 14 Aug, but you get switched out on 16 Aug, do you pay (at the higher standard rate) for 2 days pro rata or for an entire month since they bill in monthly periods?
    If a BT contract ends on 14 Aug but you get switched out on 13 Aug, of course you will have to pay for 2 days of overlap. But other than that, any reason not to do it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure