getting refund on purchase

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
14 replies 2.5K views
marie_hcmarie_hc Forumite
56 posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
Hello averyone

this isnot the right page but cannot find anywhere else to post.

I bought a set of taps from company with a 12 year gaurantee.

one tap was only fitted for 12 months. anyway taps wet green and scaly. contactmanufacturer as the held 12 year gaurantee. company declared them faulty (plating fault) i also informed shop where they were bought from
but they have said problem is company will only credit back their price not what i paid for them..

shop has also said there is a deduction for wear and tear on the taps but the reason for condition is they were faulty.

shop doesn't want to pay us back in full what we paid..

we did not use a credit card we used our bank card ..

can anyone tell us how to handle this and what our rights are

thank you

Replies

• eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    18.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you didn't pay by credit card then Section 75 rights don't apply.

Likewise, although chargeback is an alternative for debit card purchases, any claims must be made within 120 days, so if it's a year on then you're out of time for that.

So, you won't be able to get any assistance from your bank on this and will need to rely on broader consumer rights - further details at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim-consumer-rights/ or if you want to post on the correct forum board, it's at https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173
  • pogofishpogofish Forumite
    10.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not ask in an appropriate forum, like Consumer Rights?
  • marie_hcmarie_hc Forumite
    56 posts
    pogofish wrote: »
    Why not ask in an appropriate forum, like Consumer Rights?

I tried to find that but couldn't find anything listed in forum cna you tell me where it is please?
  • eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    18.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    marie_hc wrote: »
    I tried to find that but couldn't find anything listed in forum cna you tell me where it is please?
    I put a link to it in the previous post!
  • brisbris Forumite
    9.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bottom line, warranties are with the manufacturer and nothing to do with the retailer so the 12 year warranty means nothing.

As you are going to the retailer then they are right, they can deduct a percentage for wear and tear. Problem is that percentage is not set in stone so by my calculations as they have a 12 year warranty I would say they should only be allowed to deduct a 12th from the price you paid.

Getting them to agree to that is a different thing altogether though.
  • chattychappychattychappy Forumite
    7.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My view is that it is ridiculous these taps should have failed so quickly and it does seem there is an inherent fault. Therefore you have a claim against the shop and this claim could be in EXCESS of the purchase price because of the cost of fitting new taps.

The manufacturer's warranty doesn't really come in to it.

Agreed no claim on the bank/card issuer.
  • Ben8282Ben8282
    4.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Newshound!
    ✭✭✭✭
    How much did these taps actually cost?
    It seems to me that the guarantee was given by the manufacturer and if, as you state, the manufacturer has admitted that they are faulty then why does the manufacturer not simply replace them?
    What exactly does the guarantee say? What does it cover and what does it not cover?
    It is nothing to do with the retailer.
    56 posts
    the manufacturer has reimbursed the shop in full because it was a plating fault taps not for sale anymore
    56 posts
    They cost £502 in vat.
  • chattychappychattychappy Forumite
    7.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The manufacturer's admission that there was an inherent fault should make your claim against the retailer straightforward.

Do you have this in writing, an email or letter? Stories can quickly change if you "firm up" your claim!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support