PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tips on vetting new tenants

Options
Hi Guy's,

My long-term tenants are now looking to buy and have given me notice. They have been really good over the 6 years or so and have only been late with one payment over that period.

I have been quite lucky in the past and like to think I have a good judge of character when it comes to picking tenants. However, I'm looking to minimize the risk of getting a bad tenant in.

Could anyone offer advice on how to properly vet new tenants, please?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 June 2018 at 11:59AM
    Options
    Don't rely on simple credit checks and references from an old LL (the LL could write the tenant is a perfect tenant because they want rid of them, little you can do if you discover the tenant is a nightmare).

Ask for bank statements to prove they pay their rent and don't have bad spending habits. Look at social media to see what sort of person they are. Visit them in their present property to see if they look after it as you would want your property looked after.

A bit more intrusive than normally considered but when I was a private tenant I always took bank statements with me when viewing properties as I wanted prospective LL's to see I was a good, financially responsible tenant. Some will not like it but it will help you eliminate the sort of tenant you don't want.
  • Noodles7791
    Options
    Good advice deannatrois, thanks.

I find social media very useful and have used this technique before.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think you must be an absolutely amazing person, deanntrois, to offer LLs so much help after the way you have been treated by them. You are an inspiration. This is in no way intended as sarcasm, I mean every word. I just could not be as forgiving as you are.

Whilst I realise it is not fair to judge an entire sector of society by the behaviour of its worst members, I find it difficult not to do so at times.
  • mchale
    mchale Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    Options
    Sound's silly but i always ring a perspective tenant on a withheld num, if they dont answer that raises alarm bells with me.
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
  • Noodles7791
    Noodles7791 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Hi mchale,

I wouldn't agree with that. I never answer withheld numbers myself..
  • david1951
    david1951 Posts: 431 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    mchale wrote: »
    Sound's silly but i always ring a perspective tenant on a withheld num, if they dont answer that raises alarm bells with me.

..............why?!
  • Smodlet
    Options
    I don't answer withheld numbers either; it's common sense as it is usually some ambulance chaser/scammer. I can think of no reason why an honest, genuine person would need to withhold their number in a domestic situation. Perhaps in business it is different but I would still regard withholding a number as iffy at best, alarming at worst.

It seems I am not alone as the anonymous call reject feature exists. What if your prospective tenants had this feature?
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I tend to ignore withheld numbers too, and I'm a landlord. I'd delight in selecting tenants as averse as I am to mindless calls from idiot strangers!

Op. Meet them, find out about them, find who they really are, and who you might mutually know. See if they are open and honest. Check them out any and every way you can.

I'm lucky, in that I rent to people who work in the same large group as I work and, if I don't know them already, someone else does and can tell me all about them. I am always choosy as to who I give the keys to, and have always - so far - been rewarded back.

I also tend to meet the prospective tenant twice, once in the presence of some of their friends or employer/ees - which I can manage, given the circumstances.
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't rely on simple credit checks and references from an old LL (the LL could write the tenant is a perfect tenant because they want rid of them, little you can do if you discover the tenant is a nightmare).

Ask for bank statements to prove they pay their rent and don't have bad spending habits. Look at social media to see what sort of person they are. Visit them in their present property to see if they look after it as you would want your property looked after.

A bit more intrusive than normally considered but when I was a private tenant I always took bank statements with me when viewing properties as I wanted prospective LL's to see I was a good, financially responsible tenant. Some will not like it but it will help you eliminate the sort of tenant you don't want.
    The reference check is to weed out the "bad apples" with poor references. Not to confirm positives, as like you said they might be false.

My bank statement, financial affairs and spending habits are none of my prospective LLs business. I can provide proof of income and/or pay rent in advance. This has been plenty enough for 15 years of renting. Showing my bank statements to a stranger - LOL

Visit me in my current home? Are you mad? GTFO,

What's next? Share family photo albums over a cuppa?
  • Smodlet
    Options
    sal_III wrote: »
    The reference check is to weed out the "bad apples" with poor references. Not to confirm positives, as like you said they might be false.

My bank statement, financial affairs and spending habits are none of my prospective LLs business. I can provide proof of income and/or pay rent in advance. This has been plenty enough for 15 years of renting. Showing my bank statements to a stranger - LOL

Visit me in my current home? Are you mad? GTFO,

What's next? Share family photo albums over a cuppa?

I am inclined to agree with this but realise this is not a luxury every prospective tenant has. Those on low incomes/who lack guarantors/large deposits and/or in areas of high demand for rental properties may have to resort to complying with these and even more intrusive requirements in order to secure a roof over their heads.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure