Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Options

Comments

• gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    Options
    i am leaving sky as not happy with their service and prices, despite being loyal customer for many years, no offers given, just found the following and would like to know if anyone has NOW broadband and would recommend it..

Fab Fibre£18.00
    Line rental£17.99
    Pay as you use calls£0.00
    Fab Fibre Offer-£10.99
    Total£25.00

Cost after 12m offer £35.99

What you!!!8217;ll pay today
    Fibre set up fee£15.00
    NOW TV Hub TwoIncluded
    NOW TV Hub Delivery Charge£9.99
    Total£24.99
    thanks

Out the frying pan into the oven........now TV is owned by sky
  • Pescur
    Pescur Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    editor1 wrote: »
    just renewed with Sky for regular broadband, line rental & Anytime calls for £21.99 per month - PlusNet would have been slightly cheaper if cash back paid out, but parents unable to do anything IT related - original offer from Sky was £35 per month, which I refused to pay, but they accommodated my price point, so paying two quid more than last year's MSE Sky deal, which was a good one!

logie48 wrote: »
    Sky Broadband 17Mb Unlimited.

£18 a month, 12 month contract = £216 + £9.95 router delivery = £225.95

-£50 reward card - £90 TCB = £85.95 = £7.17 monthly equivelant

[FONT=&quot]What a SAD state of affairs, I was just reading the MSE newsletter and it said

"We always say the way to get cheap broadband is to pounce on short-lived promo deals which often work by offering cashback or rewards on top of discounted prices. And there are FOUR scorchers to choose from right now.
    Add up what you pay now in broadband and line rental to compare. If on a non-promo tariff with BT, Sky, TalkTalk or Virgin, you'll likely pay £27-£43/mth for up-to-17Mb standard speed and £34-£42/mth "

The day has come when they think that a good deal is where you have to pay a year upfront to get £10.24 a month and pay a eye watering £50 Plusnet install if you are coming from a non BT source, PLUS as if that were not bad enough, if you terminate your service you will be hit with the double whammy termination/cessation fee rip off that Plusnet and BT impose on you. Sky and TalkTalk do not charge this so no excuse for it.

It seems that MSE has forgotton the meaning of value, even topcashback offered £7 a month above, but even that is nothing to write home about.

We have the poor sod above thinks £22 a month for basic broadband with anytime calls is good value!

The newsletter continues the complete BS by saying their is a price war, WHAT? Really? A price war means that we get amazing loss leading deals, not this rubbish.

Just a few years ago MSE were able to get us amazing deals like this one at £5.35 for a YEARS broadband

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/broadband/2015/09/urgent535-for-a-years-sky-line-rental-and-broadband

Even since then we have had two deals of £65 for the year and a more realistic £20 fee if you had no line but even that was often waived by Sky.

I find it dishonest to tell people to go
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]"pounce on short-lived promo" when the so called promo is rubbish, it may well be the best for six months but that is only because MSE is not doing it's job and nor is OFCOM (they should have all been sacked years ago).[/FONT]

If top cash back can get you 30% cheaper than this so called grab it while you can deal then MSE must have sold their soul.

I have seen people on here talking about sharing their neighbours wifi, I know I know the goody two shoes will quote terms and conditions and other ball hooks, but I think this is the way people will go.

So I decided to give it a go to prove the concept, we stuck a couple of routers at the closest point, created a wireless bridge, we then ran a wire from that router to his main router and the one on my premises to one of mine.

Occasionaly the wifi drops but I tweaked the settings and it is pretty steady now, I am getting around 13mb which is plenty for my needs. We are now going to run a bit of cat5 between us, we will then split the cost.

So come on MSE, pull your finger out, go find us some mega cheap deals, without prepayment, without hidden fees and gross install fees or you will find you earn less and less commission.

[/FONT]
  • editor1
    editor1 Posts: 287 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    edited 28 February 2018 at 11:00AM
    Options
    @Pescur,

Please be advised I do not consider paying £21.99 a month for basic broadband and Anytime calls good value, particularly given when I first signed with Sky in January 2017 it was via a MSE Deal of £12.00 a month for BB and basic phone. My parents desired Anytime calls, making it £20 per month before Sky Q charges and Cashback was taken into account. The actual 12 month billing was less than £17 per month, which was acceptable.

As no decent deals were available in early January, I managed to get Sky to match the cheapest comparable deal I could find, namely that was £21.99, which is a more than £5.00 increase per month of fees payable during 2017.

I'm savvy enough to understand Sky are increasing costs and this will afford me the opportunity to leave Sky for a new ISP if cheaper options are available. These increases also mean I can chat to Sky's retention team and see if a cheaper change can be arranged. As of today, the cheapest deal available is TalkTalk, this works out at just under £20 a month once Cashback is taken into account.

I'f Sky offered the same, my folks would stick with Sky, and if MSE provided a decent deal for less than 20 quid a month, inclusive of Anytime calls, I'd take it. I have 30 days to change once Sky formally notify me of increases, which to-date, they have not.
  • Fromply
    Fromply Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm trying to get the BT Fibre deal here, which expires Thursday: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-broadband#btfibre
    Its difficult to marry up, because they dont split out the line rental and Broadband prices, but I think either I'm going wrong somewhere or the deal is no longer available.
    I **THINK** that the prices I see are higher - because the £17 per month is for 12 months, then it will be higher for the 13th to 18th months - though it doesn't say this (the text says £35.99 per month for 18 months then £41.99 a month).
    Can anyone confirm if I've gone wrong, or if this is right, or if the deal is no longer available?

BT.jpg
  • cisko65
    cisko65 Posts: 233 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have, I believe, a similar problem about BT broadband+landline deal. (Iposted in the wrong place).

I do not understand the ''BT deal for fibre b'band & line rental for £18.38/mth'' with tomorrow deadline.
    I thought we could apply for:
    '- Unlimited fibre broadband: Discounted from the usual £23/mth to £11/mth for 18mths.
    - Line rent: Pay 12mths upfront at £208.80 (equiv to £17.40/mth) or the normal £18.99/mth. You get inclusive weekend landline calls - see BT call costs.
    - One-off cost: £9.99 for router delivery and activation.
    - You can CLAIM £200 back: There's a £150 prepaid Mastercard and a £50 Amazon.
    BUT when I go to apply - through Broadband genie - I cannot see what the deal suggested by MSE is. I mean I cannot yet see the £23/mth reducet to £11/mth and the £150 mastercard seem only for the Unlimited infinity, which is ££29/mth.
    Sorry very long email.
    I need help asap. Thanks
  • editor1
    editor1 Posts: 287 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    cisko65 wrote: »
    I have, I believe, a similar problem about BT broadband+landline deal. (Iposted in the wrong place).

I do not understand the ''BT deal for fibre b'band & line rental for £18.38/mth'' with tomorrow deadline.
    I thought we could apply for:
    '- Unlimited fibre broadband: Discounted from the usual £23/mth to £11/mth for 18mths.
    - Line rent: Pay 12mths upfront at £208.80 (equiv to £17.40/mth) or the normal £18.99/mth. You get inclusive weekend landline calls - see BT call costs.
    - One-off cost: £9.99 for router delivery and activation.
    - You can CLAIM £200 back: There's a £150 prepaid Mastercard and a £50 Amazon.
    BUT when I go to apply - through Broadband genie - I cannot see what the deal suggested by MSE is. I mean I cannot yet see the £23/mth reducet to £11/mth and the £150 mastercard seem only for the Unlimited infinity, which is ££29/mth.
    Sorry very long email.
    I need help asap. Thanks

Try linking in to BT via TopCashBack or Quidco, whichever is offering the most money back and take it from there.
  • melb
    melb Posts: 2,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi there please can anyone suggest the best option for broadband only in a rented flat (6 month tenancy) for streaming Netflix and internet use? Monthly rolling contract would be best and don't know how landlord would feel about anything being connected up with wiring so would be grateful for any advice
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    melb wrote: »
    hi there please can anyone suggest the best option for broadband only in a rented flat (6 month tenancy) for streaming Netflix and internet use? Monthly rolling contract would be best and don't know how landlord would feel about anything being connected up with wiring so would be grateful for any advice

You've had this thread up for a week with plenty of suggestions:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5810294

Why on earth have you posted it again?
  • melb
    melb Posts: 2,878 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    just to annoy you
  • MrMoore
    MrMoore Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 April 2018 at 7:27PM
    Options
    Did you know that Sky can charge you £65 if you have a fault on your line when your contract rolls on after it has ended? They say it will be charged if Open Reach, (BT group) discover the fault is within your property. However they say you can avoid the charge by signing up to a new contract at the new higher rates. There is a 30 day cool off period but they don't say if the £65 charge would still have to be paid if you terminated within the 30 days. Also it's cheaper if you are a new customer who has never been with Sky before, so much for loyalty! Does anyone know if the service is any better for a business line and how much Sky charge for that?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback