Gas/Electrical safety certificate buying/selling home buyer report

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
29 replies 137.7K views

Replies

• SlitherySlithery Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that's why any sensible buyer pays for theses checks before purchasing.
  • Hello, we have found a really nice that we like and have had an offer accepted.

Does anybody have recommendations of anyone who can do these checks in the Bristol BS15 area? My friend bought a property and the electrics were a nightmare and the boiler was also condemned by British gas as being dangerous and beyond economical repair. I don't want to make the same mistake.

I tried the company above and they say Bristol is too far and local electrician wants £220 to check electrics and a gas engineer wants £75.
  • Comms69Comms69 Forumite
    14.2K posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    alansaeed wrote: »
    Hello, we have found a really nice that we like and have had an offer accepted.

Does anybody have recommendations of anyone who can do these checks in the Bristol BS15 area? My friend bought a property and the electrics were a nightmare and the boiler was also condemned by British gas as being dangerous and beyond economical repair. I don't want to make the same mistake.

I tried the company above and they say Bristol is too far and local electrician wants £220 to check electrics and a gas engineer wants £75.
    Those costs are very reasonable.
  • I agree, the costs are quite reasonable. The company I work for in Edinburgh charge £132 for elec and £78 for gas individually. For those that get the checks done, it's well worth it.

Great site by the way!!!
  • Would anyone know of any companies in or near Manchester, I am in the process of buying a house and asked the solicitors to ensure the Gas & Electrics have safety checks otherwise I would be arranging my own before buying.
  • Gas Safety and electric safety check - I am buying a house and the owner can't provide evidence these have been done. I have obtained a quote but owner won't pay for it, or get one done, or negotiate on price. Advice please
  • greenhillgreenhill Forumite
    179 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    The only thing I would require when buying a house, is that the boiler has been serviced in the last 12 months.
  • G_MG_M Forumite
    52K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    hibald12 wrote: »
    Gas Safety and electric safety check - I am buying a house and the owner can't provide evidence these have been done. I have obtained a quote but owner won't pay for it, or get one done, or negotiate on price. Advice please
    If you want inspections done, pay an electrician and gas engineer to do checks.

Why should the seller?
    1) he's leaving - it's you not him who wants them and will benefit
    2) he's lived there quite happily without reports for 5? 10? 20? years. Why would he want inspections now?
    3) as an owner occupier, he has no legal obligation to ever have either inspection done- and very few owners do (though they often service their boilers which is different.)
  • TallGirlTallGirl Forumite
    4.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is a great discussion I'm in the same boat I've got a seller who claims to have had the boiler serviced in Feb 19 by British Gas but they cannot get me the certificates. Sure BG can just send them a copy or isn't that possible?

Also the boiler was 4 years old but when I checked it's actually 9 quite a difference which is why I would like to see the certificate. Am I overreaching? Can they not just get a copy.

Thanks
  • markinmarkin Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    TallGirl wrote: »
    This is a great discussion I'm in the same boat I've got a seller who claims to have had the boiler serviced in Feb 19 by British Gas but they cannot get me the certificates. Sure BG can just send them a copy or isn't that possible?

Also the boiler was 4 years old but when I checked it's actually 9 quite a difference which is why I would like to see the certificate. Am I overreaching? Can they not just get a copy.

Thanks

Im not sure the is one for a service, And im sure they will also want to charge for a separate 'safety check' with certificate like any other plumber.