PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• Mr_Topper
    Options
    Why has Germany told its Citizens to prepare? And they are not the only country, Sweden has recently issued a Civil Defence pamphlet to all households, Finland and the Czech Republic have also warned their citizens to prepare...but for what?

Just trying to look at the bigger picture :)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Worries about a resurgent Russia? Preparations in case of a terrorist attack on vital infrastructure?
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Because both nations are 'feet on the ground practical' and they will see the sense in stocking up on what they may need? not running round like chickens with the fox outside the hen coop???
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know there is a lot of criticism regarding the government's perceived "inactivity" regarding Brexit, but I do believe that there will actually be a great deal of contingency planning going behind the scenes. Likewise with the major suppliers (especially food) - they will (I'm fairly confident) already be looking at alternative sources etc., although I also agree with others that there may be some reduction in the choice of foods we have been used to. Having worked in both local government and industry I know there is a lot of work that goes on in the background that it is not in anyone's interests to disclose too widely too soon. Even the recent leaked reports may not have been "leaks" at all, but a way of slowly cascading information to the public. Oh dear, maybe I have been in the sun too long and succumbing to conspiracy theories.
    What I'm trying to say is that it is unlikely to be as bad as some say it will, but possibly not as seamless as others propound. All I suggest is that we do what feels right for ourselves and our own families/communities with regards to whether, and what, we stockpile. After all, none of have a crystal ball to foretell the future, so for many of us it is at best an educated guess.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I occasionally dip into this thread for a bit of a chuckle. I always enjoy the sight of people getting their knickers in a twist.
    Those of us born before the war and have managed to live through rationing, austerity, raging inflation, shortages and the rest are all probably heaving a resigned sigh and thinking 'here we go again'.

No one enjoys the prospect of having to give up the cushy life we have come to expect, but Armageddon it ain't.

I do feel very sorry for those who have no experience of making do and it isn't just the youngsters either. A lot of the population have grown up with a sense of entitlement which is not a good outlook on life in any sense.

Yes, prices may go up. Do you remember how they rocketed when we joined the Common Market? It led to raging inflation in the seventies. Now they are expected to do the same as we leave. Someone is making money whatever the excuse.

My personal prep for Brexit is to dig out my wartime recipe books, Justin of course, and making sure that I have the wherewithal to keep myself warm..... Duvets, blankets, hotwater bottles and the like.

As to the rest, it is all speculation. No one knows where the axe will fall or what shortages there will be. No one in WW2 foresaw that onions would be worth more than gold..... OK, a slight exaggeration, but only slight.

Altogether now......"WE WILL SURVIVE!"
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Thanks for that monnagran :T I think my problem is the scaremongering in the press on a daily basis - I knew there was a reason I stopped getting newspapers or watching the news :rotfl:

So thank you again for a reasoned & (useful to me) post. Re the onions - I saw an episode of Foyle’s War where a ginormous onion was the raffle prize - now I understand :rotfl:

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2018 at 7:54PM
    Options
    mattpaint wrote: »
    I think you're right but also those who lived before we joined the EU are likely to be older, be in receipt of a pension and have their houses paid off so not really in a position to be truly negatively affected by the serious consequences of Brexit. The younger, least well-off will be far more affected than the others.

Not really, some of us havent got bought houses but still pay rent on a fixed income. We will all be affected by rising food prices, you can't really single out any one group matt.
    Brilliant post monnagran!
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,410 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't have a crystal ball either but I shall do what I always do and prep for winter, illness etc.. I am under no illusion that prices will rise and probably the supermarkets will no doubt blame it on Brexit, whether that is the case or not. I shall only purchase the items that we use and not go stockpilling anything that we don't need or won't use as that would be false economy. No one knows what the future may bring but I wish we could all come together and just " let It Go " as it's now out of our hands. I for one am fed up of the " us " and "them " mentality.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Chemicals and colours in foods eh? I rather think that EU legislation is the cause of many things being deemed not allowable in both the growing, processing and manufactured goods that are made with produce grown within the area that comes under EU rule.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I hate to say it, and I wouldn't enjoy it if it happened but maybe a period of shortages would do us all good and remind us that in material terms, compared with many other countries we,ve really never had it so good.

The supermarkets are bulging with so many food choices it makes our heads spin. The water always flows even in a drought. The electricity rarely fails. Most people who want jobs have one, even if they don,t enjoy their work. We still have free speech and an NHS service even if it isnt perfect.

I remember visiting the So Union just before Glasnost . People would queue for 3 hours for a pint of milk and a jar of jam. No choice of raspberry, strawberry or damson jam either. Just any old jam mixed together in the factory. Take it or leave it ! And you could ,t criticise the government either or your neighbour would report you and you wiuld lose your job and your housing.

We'll get through whatever happens. The British are rather good at it i think, despite our politicians!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback