PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,267 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    . I am concerned over power cuts if the weather is too cold (it's March 2019, right?) as they get very painful joints if the flat isn't kept quite warm in the winter, so power cuts might be an issue. No way can we get a wood burner.

There really is no reason to more concerned over power cuts from Brexit than from normal winter time

None of our gas comes from the EU, most is from Norway or tanker from Middle East.

Oil of course is from North Sea, or Norway, or Saudi, or even USA

A lot of leccy is now a days green, wind, water etc, plus nuclear, and we only have one coal power station, Drax, which I think uses Aussi coal, and now being converted & running on biomass, wood chip from Canada

You can ignore that part of Project fear
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Pennydropped
    Options
    I've been doing my Tesco grocery shop, and I notice that Tesco everyday value is disappearing, however, new products (assume it's the same everyday value products) are now available labelled as "Stockwell & Co." Prices seem comparable to the everyday value products, so I guess it's just a rebrand?
    Saving, decluttering and doing alright.
    :xmastree: :xmastree:
  • betterlife
    betterlife Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Pennydropped Ive notices that too, and there frozen value stuff has a new name too (cant remember it though) but all tastes the same, and same good price. Im generally stocking up on everyday things we use, I didnt intend to buy much in the way of tinned veg/potatoes as we are not keen, but given the weather and crop problems I may well stock up on a bit to tide us over until we can grow some ourselves, Im also buying veg seeds and plan to grow more at home next year, to lessen our need to purchase and to teach the kids in prep for there future! I saw a sign the other day which read !!!8220;we are fast approaching a future where little old ladies will know longer be able to sew or knit, but they will be able to take a great bathroom selfie !!!8220; this is a scary thought, I will be making sure mine can cook, grow, and have some crafting skills, so they can cope in the future.
    One day I will live in a cabin in the woods
  • Pennydropped
    Options
    I've just realised that the massive cupboard with very very deep shelves that I'm always moaning is too deep to be useful in the living room will actually be perfect to put stockpile stuff BEHIND the books and other home ed supplies that we usually keep in there. Brilliant!!!
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Penny dropped you sound similar to us, we live in a small house, a child with disabilities and home ed too *waves*
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've just realised that the massive cupboard with very very deep shelves that I'm always moaning is too deep to be useful in the living room will actually be perfect to put stockpile stuff BEHIND the books and other home ed supplies that we usually keep in there. Brilliant!!!

Just make sure you file your goodies in alphabetical order like your authors so you don't have to unload the whole bookshelf. Lentils before Pasta, Pasta before Rice! Alcohol of course comes at the beginning of the shelf where it's always easily accessible !
  • Pennydropped
    Options
    Chirpy - yep - very similar!! *waving back*
  • Pennydropped
    Pennydropped Posts: 205 Forumite
    edited 2 August 2018 at 7:19PM
    Options
    Just make sure you file your goodies in alphabetical order like your authors so you don't have to unload the whole bookshelf. Lentils before Pasta, Pasta before Rice! Alcohol of course comes at the beginning of the shelf where it's always easily accessible !

Oh yes, alcohol must be easily accessible!!! :rotfl:

*Chirpy* I'll have to stock up on paper too. At least I'm not having to pay out money for school uniforms and fundraisers. Home ed is brilliant as there is so much available for free or very little cost. And no packed lunches (except the days we're out and about, of course!).
  • mattpaint
    mattpaint Posts: 294 Forumite
    Options
    I've begun quietly filling up my pantry with food that lasts from the EU that's going to become hard to come by after we leave. It's a seriously sad state of affairs that it's come to this.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    I agree mattpaint. I am gradually building up a supply of tins & dry goods but currently do not have much space to stock things as my decluttering mojo has gone on holiday :rotfl:

The really sad thing is that I think the sms will hike up prices of British goods as well.

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback