Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Prepping for Brexit thread - Page 167

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Prepping for Brexit thread

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.6K replies 498K views

Replies

• DryTheRainDryTheRain Forumite
    100 posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    That's heartening to hear Nargleblast :) Morrisons seems to offer the best combination of good value products and pay/conditions among the delivery supermarkets. It was quite an eye opener how much healthier and happier their staff appeared compared to their Tosco counterparts, and I was glad to have swapped.

On the online shopping front, has anyone tried https://www.approvedfood.co.uk ? It's near-date products sold at heavy discounts, looks like a good place for filling in gaps in your stores.
  • NargleblastNargleblast Forumite
    10.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have ordered a few times from Approved Foods but not for a year or so. I check their site occasionally, but their prices are not as low as they used to be, and they seem to have loads of junk foods and fizzy drinks but hardly any of what I would call useful real food items. I suppose it's a case of checking in at the right time, their stock is always changing.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use AP either, too much junk food, absolutely.

Tonight, I just placed a Sainsbo order - for tomorrow, and I got a 50p delivery slot! No sign of panic buying round here :)
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    100 posts
    Mmm definitely a lucky dip feel to it, must admit I've looked before and struggled to get up to the minimum order. But lots of offers on cooking sauces (Lloyd Grossman etc), chutneys, condiments,and random tins at the moment, so useful for an 'extras' type shop, even if I have OD'd on batteries and stock cubes. The joys of late night panic buying 8-)

Interesting to hear there are still supermarket slots available. I was dismayed to hear Barnier & co echoing Bercow earlier - no new ideas, no deal - which was pretty blunt by their standards, but I guess people are just zoned out by it all now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I just want it all to be over, one way or another, I don't care which any longer I just would like to turn on the TV or pick up the newspaper and watch or read news of some other kind. I have become saturated with Brexit and all things Brexit related , totally disillusion with the people who are in politics on all sides and on all heads. I want life back to normal!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    100 posts
    Sending big hugs Mrs LW, in fact to everyone here :-)

A lot of us have lived through times of hardship or uncertainty, and yes that experience helps prepare you in lots of ways - but it doesn't mean it isn't stressful again now, specially as the news cycle is so relentless. You switch on to try and understand what's going on then wish you hadn't, everything and nothing happening all at once, cognitive dissonance uk. Can hardly wait for the story about surging prozac prescriptions!

Still, I find it comforting to reflect and be thankful that I have the resources (incl advice on this site) to buffer myself a little, there but for the grace of god and all that.

And if you're in need of a chuckle, check this drunken stockpiling spree.. https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/man-stockpiles-in-tesco-for-no-deal-brexit-1-5947245
  • TarianTarian Forumite
    50 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Don't panic Mr Mainwaring !

Why should anyone stockpile ?

Which imported goods are going to be delayed or blocked - and why ?

Which Govt Minister has proposed extra checks ?

Listening to the bosses of HMRC, UK Border Force and Dover Port - all speaking to MPs on Select Committees (most more than once) ....
    ..... none has expressed any intention (or desire) to inspect any more shipments than they do now.

Inspections are around 1%-2% - and increase or decrease based on perceived risk - whether smuggling, counterfeit goods or a health scare.

"No Deal" / WTO does not automatically mean extra checks.
    That is down to each country.

So until I hear a Govt Minister own up to ordering extra (and unwarranted) checks (delays) on something, I have no intention of stockpiling.

[# The only goods worth stocking up on might be imports that attract a new tariff. But the UK Govt's recently announced Tariff schedule reduces the overall effect of tariffs.]
    :A
  • ben501ben501 Forumite
    668 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    DryTheRain wrote: »
    And if you're in need of a chuckle, check this drunken stockpiling spree..

:think: Other than the alcohol, I tend to keep more than that in reserve anyway.

Except for the loo rolls. I already have a lifetime supply of those :o, but that's another story.

I will laugh, but for a different reason, why on earth would you want to pay Tesco prices? 12 Oxo cubes for £1.39. You can get 18 in Aldi for that price.:rotfl:
    95p for a tin of Heinz soup?:rotfl: I stocked up a few weeks ago at 50p a tin.
  • euronorriseuronorris Forumite
    11.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha, that made me chuckle! I don't think they'll need to buy any bog roll for a while either! haha
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I wonder if Theresa Mays straight talking last night will do more harm than good? The news is awash with furious MPs this morning all saying it's not my fault, it's hers! but then as a member of the public I still can't make up my mind whose fault any of it is except a little dawning thought that if David Cameron hadn't actually allowed the initial referendum we'd not be in this absolutely ludicrous situation today!