Prepping for Brexit thread

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.6K replies 488K views

Replies

• ScotinLondonScotinLondon Forumite
    357 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭
    Deannatrois...i understand what you mean by the no fuss regarding the millennium bug, the main reason for that was because it folk knew about many many years in advance and worked on a solution even before the press started picking up on the story.
    Howevee, I have now been diagnosed with a non-curable but liveable disorder (only time will tell for me now) and what drugs will work for me.
    Will be stocking up when my health allows but I am not happy with this farcical brexit situation at all. As I was in hospital, you could see that they were shortfaffed and unless something changes, it will remain so.
    So, I now have to plan to get back to work and sort my life around with more uncertainty than will be good for me.
    Sorry, didn't mean to hijack or put a downer on the practical thread that it is.
  • humptydumptybitshumptydumptybits Forumite
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Scot, I'm in a similar situation with the drugs situation. Everyone keeps telling me to stock up but my doctor won't give me any extra just my normal prescription, he says they've been told not to encourage stockpiling. Not sure who "they" are, didn't think to ask. Are your meds prescription only? I've thought of booking a private GP appointment but not sure if they would be happy to do the prescription without all the tests.

I get very fed up of people telling me not to worry as it will be fine but I can't help worrying.
  • ScotinLondonScotinLondon Forumite
    357 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭
    Humpty - with me dunno yet. I will be on drugs just one they diagnose me properly. Yes I have a neuro disorder but docsnot sure which type yet. A few more results to come thru and then a meet up with the the neurologist...
    I am scared with what I have which can become very debilitating and then if drugs will be available or not.
    In fact for me, the whole situation is very very scary, in more ways than one.
    Xx
  • BabyStepperBabyStepper Forumite
    646 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    My understanding is that there will be shortages in the short term. This will be due to new border controls so food and medication coming into the country will need to be stopped and checked. 17 mile queues are expected while the systems get sorted out.

UK trade deals are via the EU, so deals will have to be renegotiated direct with the UK. I'm sure this will happen in time, but again it's the short term I'm thinking about.

Long term there will likely be significant changes to the price of these things. If there is a big increase, I would like to be protected from that and supplement my monthly shop with my stockpile.

It's not really anything to do with where rice is grown or any other food stuff, it's how it gets here.

If Brexit had been better organised, or even organised at all, this disruption could have been minimised. But given the chaos and uncertainty, I would like to be ready for the worst.

All of this will have a knock on effect on the things we buy or pay for. E.g. if inflation rises considerably (the value of the pound is falling and businesses who know about preparing in advance have left the country or are planning to leave, rightly so) our economy will take a hit. We may end up paying more for our mortgages, fuel etc. 33% of our budget on food!? Currently we spend 7% (and that's rounded up!)

No-one knows for sure what will happen, but there is no harm in being as ready as we can be.
    Emergency fund £4,700/£10,000
    Mortgage overpayment £50
    Debtfree!
    £21,228.07 paid off in 22 months
  • worried_jimworried_jim
    11.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I live at the top of a very steep hill, it is murder in bad weather, I'm scared driving down it and scared walking down it. The brilliant news is that Lidl have got planning permission for a new store, 5 minute walk away but I don't have to go down the hill. Wish it was opening now but at least this time next year I will be less worried about snow and ice. I've never shopped at Lidl so not sure what to expect.

I have a Lidl 5 mins away. Always go as it opens 08:00 as the car park soon fills (can't even get in my local Aldi anymore). It's cheap! I'm currently filling a Brexit cupboard, tinned food, rice, dried goods. Will do the freezer a bit closer to March but I should have enough food to last 8 weeks comfortably and if it's all okay I'll just use as normal.

Got loads of 5litre fuel drums in the garage and I'll probably get a bit of petrol too.

Shotgun shells are harder to source.....

Better to have it and not need it than....
  • BabyStepperBabyStepper Forumite
    646 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭

Shotgun shells are harder to source.....

Better to have it and not need it than....

I'm trying to figure out how to get my hands on a taser...

No harm in being prepared eh? :rotfl:
    Emergency fund £4,700/£10,000
    Mortgage overpayment £50
    Debtfree!
    £21,228.07 paid off in 22 months
  • worried_jimworried_jim
    11.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to figure out how to get my hands on a taser...

No harm in being prepared eh? :rotfl:

Easy! Mates got one and CS gas (doesn't live in the UK, but how hard can it be....)
  • edited 23 December 2018 at 10:31AM
    moneyistooshorttomentionmoneyistooshorttomention
    17.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 December 2018 at 10:31AM
    I'll just settle for my cynical nature has had me all along thinking "We will vote Leave" (tick), the losers will scream and tell lies about it (tick), and the third part of that equation is "We will crash out - with no deal" (partly because of Europe's attitude to us leaving and partly because Europe will watch all the "screaming"/lying going on by those that oppose it). I do sigh and think "If only people accepted it's a democracy and if their way isn't the winning way then get on with dealing with it". I do think all the screaming/lying done by those trying to overturn our democratic decision has done us a huge disservice re getting a decent deal to leave with - and the "screamers" have made it impossible to do anything other than "Crash out without a deal at all" - as May has been having to negotiate from a position of them knowing all this "screaming" is going on - rather than us uniting behind our decision. It's the screamers that have cost us whatever disruption we land up getting....

So I've been doing longer-term bigger type prepping in effect - I've bought everything "big" now (furniture/work on house/etc) as I wonder if there might be disruption to other goods and that will go on rather longer. Any food disruption will only be very short-term - but I'm not so sure about less "necessary" stuff (like the materials to do work on my house/goods for my house) and so I've made sure that's all sorted. Was going to be done at some point anyway - so it's all now safely done/bought/here.

Thinking "Who knows?". I was only remembering yesterday how I made pension provisions in my 30's in case the Government stole some of my State pension money off me come the time and I anticipated the excuse for that would be "Must equalise the State Pension Age - and we will do it upwards". Came my 40's and I was one of the ones that did know they had just decided to "revise my State Pension Age" to steal some of my pension off me that way (ie only because I read the newspapers - as I didn't get sent my letter telling me either:cool:) - and I had safely started preparing in case they did that about 8 years previously.

Moral of the story "Think more widely than just food and medicines".
  • humptydumptybitshumptydumptybits Forumite
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll just settle for my cynical nature has had me all along thinking "We will vote Leave" (tick), the losers will scream and tell lies about it (tick), and the third part of that equation is "We will crash out - with no deal" (partly because of Europe's attitude to us leaving and partly because Europe will watch all the "screaming"/lying going on by those that oppose it). I do sigh and think "If only people accepted it's a democracy and if their way isn't the winning way then get on with dealing with it". I do think all the screaming/lying done by those trying to overturn our democratic decision has done us a huge disservice re getting a decent deal to leave with - and the "screamers" have made it impossible to do anything other than "Crash out without a deal at all" - as May has been having to negotiate from a position of them knowing all this "screaming" is going on - rather than us uniting behind our decision. It's the screamers that have cost us whatever disruption we land up getting....

So I've been doing longer-term bigger type prepping in effect - I've bought everything "big" now (furniture/work on house/etc) as I wonder if there might be disruption to other goods and that will go on rather longer. Any food disruption will only be very short-term - but I'm not so sure about less "necessary" stuff (like the materials to do work on my house/goods for my house) and so I've made sure that's all sorted. Was going to be done at some point anyway - so it's all now safely done/bought/here.

Thinking "Who knows?". I was only remembering yesterday how I made pension provisions in my 30's in case the Government stole some of my State pension money off me come the time and I anticipated the excuse for that would be "Must equalise the State Pension Age - and we will do it upwards". Came my 40's and I was one of the ones that did know they had just decided to "revise my State Pension Age" to steal some of my pension off me that way (ie only because I read the newspapers - as I didn't get sent my letter telling me either:cool:) - and I had safely started preparing in case they did that about 8 years previously.

Moral of the story "Think more widely than just food and medicines".

So if you were say a diabetic who needs your insulin 2 or 3 times a day to alive stay you'd just think more widely? Moral of the story, don't talk rubbish.
  • It was quite clear what I meant - ie "Thinking more widely" means "Don't JUST JUST JUST JUST take into account food and medicine ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY - also bear in mind other things AS WELL AS WELL AS WELL AS WELL".:cool::cool::cool: