New Post Advanced Search

Prepping for Brexit thread

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.6K replies 489.9K views

Replies

• humptydumptybitshumptydumptybits Forumite
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Humpty - with me dunno yet. I will be on drugs just one they diagnose me properly. Yes I have a neuro disorder but docsnot sure which type yet. A few more results to come thru and then a meet up with the the neurologist...
    I am scared with what I have which can become very debilitating and then if drugs will be available or not.
    In fact for me, the whole situation is very very scary, in more ways than one.
    Xx
    It is hard enough dealing with this sort of thing without the added joy of Brexit. At least I've had years to make the adjustment to my needing to take drugs every day, regular blood tests etc. That part does get easier, you get used to it but the people who dismiss our worries about med supplies make me so mad, they wouldn't be so casual if their lives were on the line. Their selfishness astounds me and their shamelessness about their selfishness is breathtaking.

I hope everything goes well for you and we can only hope that despite the chaos that we will get the drugs we need.
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your whole post came across that you're all right Jack. The dismissing of the losers screaming, well you might be screaming as well if your life depended on it.

It might be ONLY ONLY ONLY medication to you, to some of us it is life or death.
  • mardathamardatha Forumite
    15.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without my 3 times daily steroids I'd be dead within 10 days, probably less. I'm stashing as much as I can, getting them a day or two earlier every month.
    I think some foods will be scarce and everything will be dearer. But it will all be manageable as long as we do what we can now. Not in March, now.
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've got my new prescription early because of Christmas/New Year. I hope that means I can get the next one early as well. Every little helps as they say.

mardatha do you know if steroids are likely to be affected? I got someone who works in the NHS to check where my med comes from so that I would know if problems were likely
  • edited 23 December 2018 at 2:33PM
    moneyistooshorttomentionmoneyistooshorttomention
    17.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 December 2018 at 2:33PM
    Your whole post came across that you're all right Jack. The dismissing of the losers screaming, well you might be screaming as well if your life depended on it.

It might be ONLY ONLY ONLY medication to you, to some of us it is life or death.

I repeat what everyone else will know I mean. We need to ensure food and medication. That is taken as read obviously.

What I am saying is we ALSO need to take other things into account as well.

It is ALSO - not "instead" or "can't be bothered". It is "ALSO - take into account".

Also = means "as well as".

Please stop misinterpreting me. Thank you.
  • lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whilst supplies of medicines and foods are of paramount importance, I do tend to think Money has a point. There are also wider implications of Brexit. We just don't know what they are yet. Could be fuel security, could be the collapse of sterling, we could be plunged into recession, there could be a breakdown of law and order .........on the other hand it could be the beginning of a new golden age.

The point is, nobody knows.

The reality is we are heading into unknown territory - none of us knows what's round the corner. All we can do is try to prepare for the things that we know will impact us. Anything else is just conjecture.

We can second guess as much as we like but until the dust settles we don't know anything.

Some envisage a Mad Max scenario, some blithely assume it will "all sort itself out". I think most of us lie somewhere in between those polar opposites and are therefore trying to prepare as best we can.

If I'm not mistaken what I think what Money was trying to say is that the "screaming" from the Remain camp and the constant infighting among our political elite has weakened our hand in trying to negotiate good terms for our exit.

This constant fighting is tearing our country apart - just look at the vitriol on some of these threads. It does no good. It allows Europe to exploit our weakness and call the shots. We are literally playing into their hands and making a good deal well nigh impossible.

Why should the EU bother to negotiate fairly, all they have to do is sit back and wait for us to implode.

We need to remember the old milaitary adage.......

"United we stand, divided we fall"

If we had ALL stood together, and gave May the support she needed right from the start we might not now be in such a sorry mess. It is the division among us and our political leadership which is going to be our downfall if we let it.

Time to pull together and Back Britain.
  • mardathamardatha Forumite
    15.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know humptyD. Not much I can do about it anyway. Just hope it will be ok!
    3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whilst supplies of medicines and foods are of paramount importance, I do tend to think Money has a point. There are also wider implications of Brexit. We just don't know what they are yet. Could be fuel security, could be the collapse of sterling, we could be plunged into recession, there could be a breakdown of law and order .........on the other hand it could be the beginning of a new golden age.

The reality is we are heading into unknown territory - none of us knows what's round the corner. All we can do is try to prepare for the things that we know will impact us. Anything else is just conjecture.

We can second guess as much as we like but until the dust settles we don't know anything.

Some envisage a Mad Max scenario, some blithely assume it will "all sort itself out". I think most of us lie somewhere in between those polar opposites and are therefore trying to prepare as best we can.

If I'm not mistaken what I think what Money was trying to say is that the "screaming" from the Remain camp and the constant infighting among our political elite has weakened our hand in trying to negotiate good terms for our exit.

This constant fighting is tearing our country apart - just look at the vitriol on some of these threads. It does no good. It allows Europe to exploit our weakness and call the shots. We are literally playing into their hands and making a good deal well nigh impossible.

Why should the EU bother to negotiate fairly, all they have to do is sit back and wait for us to implode.

If we had ALL stood together, and gave May the support she needed right from the start we might not now be in such a sorry mess. It is the division among us and our political leadership which is going to be our downfall if we let it.

I honestly don't think Money is doing anything to promote a united front. Read what she says, remainers lying - what about the lies the leavers told? If we are going to apportion blame lets do it fairly. Remainers screaming - the leavers are doing plenty of screaming, they can't agree between themselves what leaving means so how on earth can they unite with remainers when they aren't united themselves.

I stand by what I said Money was very much, "I'm all right Jack, I've got what I wanted so the rest of you have to put up with it even if it kills you." Unfortunately I have seen alot of that attitude from leavers.

Are europe calling the shots or are they negotiating on the basis of what is best for them, and if they are why shouldn't they? They didn't make this mess, they didn't want this mess, it isn't for them to make sacrifices to suit us.
  • edited 23 December 2018 at 4:02PM
    moneyistooshorttomentionmoneyistooshorttomention
    17.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 December 2018 at 4:02PM

Thank you:T

I thought what I was saying is quite clear - and you've understood me:)

I thought I can speak two languages - English and American....

Two of the old phrases "United we stand" and "Divide and rule" have a lot of history behind them and that's why these phrases were invented.
  • lessonlearnedlessonlearned Forumite
    13.3K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I genuinely believe that Money is not an exemplar of an "I'm alright Jack attitude". I have always found her to be kind, considerate, and thoughtful. When I was in a dark place she was very supportive.

I have said this before and I will say it again...... I am simply not interested in the politics. All I want is for people to stop bickering and to refrain from playing the blame game......

Frankly I just want the whole damn Brexit thing over and done with - however it pans out. All this angst, anger and bitterness profits no one. It is just plain daft.

More to the point it detracts from the purpose of this thread.

I have picked up some valuable tips from this thread and reading the helpful advice helps me focus on what I need to do.