Southern Water bully tactics!

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,510
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Even 20 yrs ago, most utility companies expected payment within 2 weeks of sending bill
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,268
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Mr_Ted wrote: »
    Its never paid anywhere near that late!

What i find disturbing is it arrives 2 weeks after the date on the bill and virtually the day of the due date, or as they put it "MUST be paid on" date.
    Thats a very demanding attitude that seems to only be applicable to THIS particular utility company that i have, plus the others dont phone to harrass!

I can only assume that to some older people with limited incomes, this attitude would be quite frightening!

If it's arriving on the due date and you haven't paid then the payment will be late even if you pay as soon as it drops through the door. It normally takes one or two days for a payment to register against your account after it hits their bank account.
  • Mr_Ted
    Mr_Ted Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Cardew wrote: »
    The Southern Water website, and literature sent with bill, clearly states that if the bill is not paid by the due date then recovery action could start.
    Your 'principles' apparently include delaying payment of valid debts!
    By not paying your bill on time, you are effectively having an interest free loan from the company.
    Personally I feel that it is preferable to get a phone call from the company rather than them immediately handing the debt to a debt recovery agency.
    Whilst I understand the principle of not giving out personal details on the phone, Southern Water have your phone number(how did they get it?) your name and address, account number; and can get your bank details from previous debit card payments. Surely the only purpose of questions during the phone call is to check they are talking to 'Mr Ted' and not discussing personal information about debts to someone else.

;) Apparently you, and others, are assuming this as a case of extreme withholding of payment, it is NOT ;) always dangerous to assume :)

I would also state that very often it is the utility companies who have interest free loans of their customers money when a DD is set up :D

This would NEVER and NEVER has been a situation where a recovery agent NEEDS to be involved!

As for personal phone number, they have never been given it and i have ALSO previously asked for it to be removed from their records!
    This account has been held by me at this address long before the Water Board sent their own bills, from the days of inclusive RATES, and before i even HAD a home phone, so one must assume they have received my details from THOSE companies that collect and share peoples personal info WITHOUT AUTHORISATION as they do :mad:
    Signature removed
  • Mr_Ted
    wavelets wrote: »
    Your credit rating doesn't only come into play for a loan application.
    It is used for a lot more than that.
    e..g. any credit account, such as gas or electric - those with credit meters have access to cheaper rates than those with PPMs
    A credit card account - it doesn't have to be used for long term borrowing. Credit cards are invaluable, particularly when wishing to hire a car or travelling abroad. With a cashback card, you can actually save money.
    A mobile phone contract
    If you want to buy a house, your prosecpective mortgage provider will definitely check it, ... and if you feel buying your own property will always be an impossibility, landlords/agents are increasing consulting prosective tenants credit histories before agreeing to give you the keys.
    Even banks sometimes do a credit check before agreeing to open an account for you.

etc, etc, etc.

It seems to me like you have forgotten some of the principles that have applied in this country for the last 40+ years...:cool:

:rotfl:Same applies, i have no need for any of those services, and it has been MY principles in the past that mean i have no need for them :p

My principles havnt changed, unfortunately the principles of GOOD business do seem to have :mad:

Im an ex Carillion employee made redundant because of Carillions business principle and ethics before it went under, so please dont tell me about principle as it was because i maintained GOOD conscientious work and businees ethics and principles, that i know and knew, as did many others, what the outcome of THAT so called organisation would be, and has created financial flow
    difficulties since! :mad:
    Signature removed
  • Mr_Ted
    unforeseen wrote: »
    If it's arriving on the due date and you haven't paid then the payment will be late even if you pay as soon as it drops through the door. It normally takes one or two days for a payment to register against your account after it hits their bank account.

I fully understand that, but i would be foolish to put myself into an overdraft situation for the sake of a couple of days, wouldnt i ;)

The question, as intended, should be WHY do this particular utility company NOT have the understanding that other Companies do, that there is a need for some leaway BEFORE pressurising their customers, as i have said elsewhere this attitude must cause unnecessary stress to older infirm customers, and that i find extrememly distateful!
    Signature removed
  • Mr_Ted
    edited 11 June 2018 at 5:20PM
    Even 20 yrs ago, most utility companies expected payment within 2 weeks of sending bill

I have seldom had to wait that long before paying and i do believe that legally it is 28, or as here 30 days, and always has been ;)

Even then they have to wait before demands are made, as other Utilities do!

https://www.gov.uk/invoicing-and-taking-payment-from-customers/payment-obligations

Signature removed
  • Mr_Ted
    Just to point out, the question of my post is not about how when why i pay a bill!

Its about the manner that exists with this utility company and how it goes about receiving payments of its bills!
    Signature removed
  • unforeseen
    Forumite
    Mr_Ted wrote: »
    I fully understand that, but i would be foolish to put myself into an overdraft situation for the sake of a couple of days, wouldnt i ;)

The question, as intended, should be WHY do this particular utility company NOT have the understanding that other Companies do, that there is a need for some leaway BEFORE pressurising their customers, as i have said elsewhere this attitude must cause unnecessary stress to older infirm customers, and that i find extrememly distateful!

Because it sounds like you are a serial 'offender' and have used up any goodwill they may have had for you.
  • Mr_Ted
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Because it sounds like you are a serial 'offender' and have used up any goodwill they may have had for you.

I would suggest you dont make assumptions regarding my actions, which are wrong, and direct your attention to the real issue being that of the Companys conduct where "goodwill" doesnt seem to exist!

When i am met with false accusation, made by assumption, THEN i am likely to become an "offender" and offensive!
    Signature removed
  • unforeseen
    Forumite
    I don't think likely comes into ig
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income