IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

June 2018 - start of the new PPC and DVLA fightback (GDPR related)

Options

Comments

• Computersaysno
    Computersaysno Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    beamerguy wrote: »
    DVLA ignore GDPR ????

That would make a big splash over the media.

"One government agency ignore another agency"

How would Elizabeth Denham, the Information Commissioner
    explain that one away

It's either GDPR or it's not

See the post above this one....looks like I'm in the right ball park!!!
  • abedegno
    abedegno Posts: 177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 11 June 2018 at 2:20PM
    Options
    This situation has not changed with the implementation of the General Data Protection Regulation which came into effect in May 2018.

Their response suggests they do not appear to have read and understand your request properly.

We are not asking for a restriction of processing under article 18 of GDPR, but are instead exercising the data subjects rights for data under article 22, where entirely automated processing include a manual step.

I would suggest a response to them on those lines, and also raise a complaint with ICO for clarification.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    See the post above this one....looks like I'm in the right ball park!!!

And see what abedegno has said

"Their response suggests they do not appear to have read and understand your request properly.

We are not asking for a restriction of processing under article 18 of GDPR, but are instead exercising the data subjects rights for data under article 22, where entirely automated processing include a manual step.

I would suggest a response to them on those lines, and also raise a complaint with ICO for clarification."
  • Computersaysno
    Computersaysno Posts: 1,222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm still going with 'You're not going to derail the gravy train that easily'....

Having said that they may just decide that the numbers who do send the 'opt me out' letter that they will do it just so as not to be bothered by complaints to ICO etc.

Although to be honest most of the people who will have the sense/ability to send an 'opt out' letter would never pay PPC scum anyway so it will make no difference to their operations.

I'd love to be wrong....
  • beamerguy
    Options
    I'm still going with 'You're not going to derail the gravy train that easily'....

Having said that they may just decide that the numbers who do send the 'opt me out' letter that they will do it just so as not to be bothered by complaints to ICO etc.

Although to be honest most of the people who will have the sense/ability to send an 'opt out' letter would never pay PPC scum anyway so it will make no difference to their operations.

I'd love to be wrong....

Your problem is that you are a pessimist
    "a person who tends to see the worst aspect of things or believe that the worst will happen."

Whereas, the good folk on here are optomists

If Winston Churchill was a pessimist, most of us would not
    be here today
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    beamerguy wrote: »
    If Winston Churchill was a pessimist, most of us would not
    be here today

Oh ja, wir würden ... wir würden nur eine andere Sprache sprechen.

;):D
  • beamerguy
    Options
    DoaM wrote: »
    Oh ja, wir würden ... wir würden nur eine andere Sprache sprechen.

;):D

Thank god we will never know, but I prefer English so the optomist won
  • abedegno
    Options

The law allows the DVLA to release information from the vehicle record to third parties who can demonstrate they have reasonable cause to receive it. Disclosure in these circumstances does not breach the Data Protection Act and the Information Commissioner’s Office is fully aware that data held on the DVLA’s records is released in this way.

Interestingly, appears to be almost copied from the PDF here:
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/710366/inf266-release-of-information-from-dvlas-registers.pdf
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The law allows the DVLA to release information from the vehicle record to third parties who can demonstrate they have reasonable cause to receive it.
    Then it should be very easy for the DVLA to explain how their autonomous decision making process can come to the conclusion that "reasonable cause" has been demonstrated.
  • abedegno
    Options
    Looks like the ICO today have also published some new detailed guidance around profiling/automated decision making here:
    https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/automated-decision-making-and-profiling/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure