Does traditional copper pipework have a shelf life

Options
Legacy_user
Legacy_user Posts: 0 Newbie
I'm in the process of refurbishing a Victorian/Edwardian house and several plumbers have suggested that it would be worthwhile considering to replace all of the copper pipework. Is there a shelf life of copper pipe?

Comments

• DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Old copper pipe tends to be of a much heavier gauge than modern stuff, and less prone to splitting. If the soldered joints are clean, leave it in place and save some money. If flux and solder has spread, it can damage the pipe, so either needs cleaning or replacing.

That's assuming the pipework isn't limescaled inside...
  • DaftyDuck
    Options
    Upload photo to hosting site, post link here, but stick a space in to get past filter.

The green is what might need cleaning off. Photo would be useful.
  • greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,582 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Perhaps the plumbers are trying to scare you into having a load of plastic piping installed so that they can rip the copper out for its scrap value !!
    I would leave the copper pipe alone.
    My opinion only of course.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The only problem you are likely to encounter with old copper pipe is imperial sizes. Copper pipe used to be supplied in 1/2", 3/4", and 1" - The metric equivalents are 15mm, 22mm, and 28mm. 15mm and 1/2" are close enough that most fittings are interchangeable. 3/4" and 1" to 22mm or 28mm pipe will require adapters which are available, but not widely stocked.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    FreeBear wrote: »
    The only problem you are likely to encounter with old copper pipe is imperial sizes. Copper pipe used to be supplied in 1/2", 3/4", and 1" - The metric equivalents are 15mm, 22mm, and 28mm. 15mm and 1/2" are close enough that most fittings are interchangeable. 3/4" and 1" to 22mm or 28mm pipe will require adapters which are available, but not widely stocked.

It'd have to be pretty old to be imperial though. Change was more or less 50 years ago I think.
    My opinion is that I'd agree with the others though. If it's working OK, and doesn't look too bad I'd leave it be.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    ruhe wrote: »
    Is there any way to tell approximately how old pipework is by looking at it?
    Cut it in half and count the rings ............ no wait, that's trees!

I think you've had the best answers already.
  • DaftyDuck
    Options
    Mine IS imperial, installed in 1968 - 1969. I know the then-owners who installed the heating system.

My new heating system is now six months old, and we reused all the old pipe we could. It's a super-duper multi sourced system, thermal store, oil wood and solar, with ashp to be added at some point. Five different teams involved, all pretty expert, and all wanted to leave the old pipe for quality reasons (and less mess).

If it's good on inspection, it will last forever if treated well and soft water and inhibitors used. Even Toolstation and Screwfix sell all the imperial to metric converters you could need.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    Mine IS imperial, installed in 1968 - 1969. I know the then-owners who installed the heating system.

My new heating system is now six months old, and we reused all the old pipe we could. It's a super-duper multi sourced system, thermal store, oil wood and solar, with ashp to be added at some point. Five different teams involved, all pretty expert, and all wanted to leave the old pipe for quality reasons (and less mess).

If it's good on inspection, it will last forever if treated well and soft water and inhibitors used. Even Toolstation and Screwfix sell all the imperial to metric converters you could need.
    I've never measured the wall thickness, but the old stuff is several times the wall thickness of the new.
    And who cares whether it's imperial or metric as long as it works?
    I was surprised the difference in wall thickness from some copper tube I had "in stock" from about 20 years ago, and the stuff supplied now.
  • vw100
    vw100 Posts: 306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has others have said can leave the main copper pipework, it seems like in good condition and just change the pipework around the new radiators to accommodate the new sizes if applicable.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Looks like your plumbers are inventing work unless the have cut one open and found this.Scale-in-copper-pipe.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure