Mrs S.....life after debt

Options

Comments

• MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We went to France for a week self catering (though did eat out quite a bit - especially towards the end of the week!!). Me and Dh are very up and down whilst we try and work out what each of our roles are in family life I think. Our wedding anniversary passed with no big fanfare or anything. We got an M&S meal deal for once the boys were in bed, and watched a film on Netflix. We actually got on really well during our week away though, which was great especially as we all spent pretty much every moment in each other's company. We'll get there I'm sure!

Today I've been organising a little. We would love to take our boys to Disney in Florida one day, so I have worked out an estimation to that, the year we are planning on doing it so we know what we need to save. It's a few years off as the boys are still so young and I want them to make amazing memories and remember it so plenty of time to prepare!!

I've also created a kind of inventory for our boiler room. In our boiler room we store all our spare toilet paper, kitchen towel, cleaning things, drinks, etc. I never know what we have and ended up panic buying laundry capsules the other day because I thought we were on the verge of running out.......we now have 5 tubs.....ooops!! I made one of these for our tins/jars/pasta cupboard around 6 months ago and I find it really useful. I laminated it, and the stuck it to the inside of the cupboard. We update every time something is used or added and it keeps us on top of what food we have in.

I've also done a little Christmas shopping today. I popped to Lidl (I hardly ever go there) after looking at the catalogue that came through the door and saw a few children's games. I picked up a few stocking fillers for the boys and gifts for other children. I then updated my Christmas spreadsheet and worked out what I need to budget for the rest of the year. I much prefer Excel to google sheets, but use google sheets for this as I can access it wherever I am using the app.

I've looked at how much money we have left for the month and made a list of our expenses (food, petrol, dentist, haircuts, school shoes, school tops, etc.). It leaves us with around £100 for August for general spends. That's not great with school holidays, but we've been so busy already this month it just means being frugal, using our National Trust Card, having picnics, etc. It's definitely do-able.
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Get me, posting 3 times in 3 days. I really do need to post more often as when I do it keeps me on top of my spending. We are still debt free but could be spending less and saving more each month.

Today we’re going to a free local activity for the morning and then we’re having a craft afternoon at home. I bought this massive craft box/treasure chest a few years ago and it has since sat under the bed with a load of other gifts that haven’t been given/used. I took it out yesterday and told the children that we’d spend the afternoon making things from it (I just hope the paint and glitter hasn’t dried out!!).

Dinner is going to be a slow cooker sausage casserole (not quite a summer meal but using up things we have in the house). Ds1 is actually going to be making dinner today. We’ve decided to give him a few tasks/chores to do each week and one of the, is to make dinner (obviously with our help) one night a week. He is so excited about it and it will be great teaching him new skills.

I do need to buy a couple of things today. I need a new baby gift so will pop into Tesco to look at their clothes and also I need a new pack of blutack (or whatever the cheaper, non branded one is called!). I’ll take drinks along for the boys today and a snack each so there shouldn’t be any need to spend otherwise.

I’ve checked my accounts this morning and all looks good. I mentioned in a previous post that I’ve stopped using YNAB and now have a Monzo card. I’m still getting used to the Monzo card but I do like it. I’ve set up a few different savings pots and also have set it to round up all my transactions for one of them. It amazes me how quickly the rounded up pennies add up!! We found the Monzo card great for using abroad too, though mainly used cash there.
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Yesterday went pretty much to plan. I bought a new baby gift and the stationery bits I needed. I also picked up a couple of food items that I was planning on buying soon, but they are currently on a good offer that ends soon so made sense to buy them now.

The free activity was nice and lasted most of the morning. We then had lunch at home and did some craft activities. Once the little one went down for his nap I made some popcorn and watched a film with ds1. Ds1 made a good effort with his cooking and we ended up with empty plates all round!!!

Today I’m working. I’m feeling a bit :( about it after a couple of weeks off. I’ve got no more annual leave booked in so need to change that so I have it to look forward to!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Back to work was pretty much as expected. I then went to weigh in after work for the first time in 3 weeks. After a holiday I was expecting much worse so it’s not all bad! I did pop to the shop to buy a pizza afterwards (healthy eating starts tomorrow :rotfl: ) which rounded up cost £3 (I round up all my spends on Monzo). I did phone to cancel next week’s hair appointment today though as I decided it wasn’t essential and could easily last until next month so basically my pizza money came from there (with plenty left over).

I’m off out for a work dinner tomorrow night (there goes the healthy eating again) which shouldn’t cost a penny.

I meal planned for next week yesterday so I’ve now added a few bits to the tesco app to give an idea of next week’s food shop cost. I’m hoping to keep it under £40. I’m aiming to do it in Aldi to keep the costs down even further.

I started looking into the tax free childcare yesterday. I’ve no idea why I hadn’t done it before, but I’ve started the process so will hopefully be able to save a few ££ there.
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Ds2 is only in nursery 1 day a week, but we will still be saving over £30 a month with the tax free childcare. Where on earth have I been and why didn’t I do this sooner? I paid money into the account yesterday and it was topped up straight away, this then cleared by today. I’ve set up a standing order to pay the nursery every week as happens now. Happy days!!! I also cancelled my original standing order for nursery earlier.

Work today, but that didn’t make it a no spend day. I spent a fortune before leaving home this morning. School uniform!! I ordered ds1’s school polo shirts (he’s had the ones he was wearing at the end of term around 18 months - 2 years and he’s definitely growing out of them). I’ve also ordered his pe top (and shorts, but they were from Asda!). He will need a couple of jumpers but the sizing has all changed so I’m going to take him to the shop when I collect his polo shirts to try on. Hopefully the nice ( :rotfl: ) weather will be with us for a few weeks into September so the jumper isn’t urgent (though his old ones will do if needed). I’m taking him to buy new school shoes next week. I threw his last ones in the bin at the end of term as they had a hole starting at the bottom. I’m not going to get much change from £50 there.

I also needed to fill the car up yesterday, but had a 10p per litre voucher for Tesco so saved almost £5.

This weekend should be quite low spend. I need to do the food shop at some point (though that may be Monday morning!) but other than that we have no plans at all. I am still absolutely shattered from our holiday (I know, poor me :o ) and haven’t been sleeping well. I have been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and can feel shattered easily. But, if I’m eating well, exercising and managing at least 7 hours sleep a night then it’s all good. This last week though I’ve eaten rubbish, not managed one run and my sleep has been awful. I’m awake for an hour or two during the every night and most nights only getting around 5 hours.

Anyway, enough of the negatives. The answer is to put my trainers on, go out for a run and make sure I’m getting plenty of nutrients. Things will slot back into place then :)
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Happy Sunday night (is there such a thing?? :rotfl: ). This weekend hasn’t been a no spend weekend but the spends have been planned. We ended buying ds1’s school shoes today instead of during the week. These came to £44.99 and I now have a very excited boy (he’s been desperate for new school shoes since before the end of last term).

I also did our grocery shopping in Aldi and Tesco. This came to £31.14 in Aldi and £6.85 in Tesco. Dh did pick up milk and bananas yesterday so that was another £2.06. Just over £40 for the whole lot so I’m pretty happy with that.

I had a bit of a chill day yesterday and spent some time dozing! It was very much needed and I ended up having a decent night sleep then last night. Fingers crossed this is around to stay!

Tomorrow and Tuesday should be low spend days. In fact tomorrow should be a no spend day. I’m packing a picnic and taking the boys to a local park to meet some friends. There aren’t any shops nearby so no chance of spending there! We do have a dentist appointment on Tuesday which I think is around £14 each for me and dh (thankfully the little ones are free, especially as ds2 refused to open his mouth last time :rotfl: ).

Other than that I may fit in a trip to the library and some play time in the garden so all in all it should be a cheapish week!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    I really must post more often to stay accountable. I’ve started reading more here again and do need to keep on top of things.

Things aren’t easy here at the moment, and I’m currently off work ill with stress. I’m getting closer to 40 and this is the first time I’ve ever been off long term. I think it’s an accumulation of things over the past couple of years and I’ll hopefully be back really soon. The feeling of guilt at being off is massive but I’ve started not to think about work all the time and worry about it. It has only taken a few weeks!!

Having time off means that I’ve spent a lot of time home alone which gives a lot of time to think. The first week or so I just slept or would passed time by doing absolutely nothing. I couldn’t concentrate long enough to read (and I usually love reading) and had no interest in watching a film or the tv or anything like that. Things have started to improve after that though I get massively anxious going out anywhere, especially if I’m by myself.

In the past week I’ve started cooking and baking, mainly using up ingredients we already have in. I also re-organised the kitchen over the weekend so I can now see what I actually do have :rotfl: I’ve made a few soups, cakes (usually ones I don’t like so that I don’t gain weight!!) and a few different meals. I’ve made pasties for the first time recently (they were lovely and I’ll definitely make them again) and I’m trying a dahl tonight with chapatis.

I’ve come down with a throat infection and a cold this week which is a nuisance. Probably one of the reasons I’ve been awake a while already this morning.

This time of year starts to get very expensive but I think we’re doing ok. I’ve switched from food deliveries to making myself go to the supermarket so that I get out of the house. Yesterday’s shop came to £36 and that included a birthday card and 4 items to put away for Christmas. I also bought 2 big packs of toilet paper and a massive fabric conditioner so I’m really happy with the cost.

I’ve started writing daily to-do lists and ticking them off as I go along. I find it means that I achieve more and gets me out of bed doing things. I do alternate long and short list days though to keep the pressure off a little.

Christmas shopping is going really well and I’m not far off finished. The majority of this year has been done through amazon but in stages so that I can track prices and buy once they’re at a good price. As I mentioned earlier, I’m trying to buy a few Christmas food bits each week and include them in my food shop budget so will make the Christmas food shop a little cheaper. I have a look before going to see what’s on offer and pick them up. So far it seems to be working!

Today my mum is taking me out for a while which will be nice. I have budgeted for a couple of Christmas decorations so I’m looking forward to that. We’ll be an hour or so away which makes me relax a bit as I shouldn’t bump into anyone from work. I’m being told by my doctor to go out and live life, but I feel so guilty doing it. Staying in all the time doesn’t help though. I’m planning on making a bara brith before going (husbands favourite, I’m not a fan personally) and I do want to order a couple more bits from amazon today so that I’m even closer to finishing this Christmas shopping!
  • debtaghh
    debtaghh Posts: 1,794 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lovely to see you posting again.

Sorry to hear you're having a rubbish time. Hope things start to improve soon x
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Sorry that you are feeling under the weather, hope you feel brighter soon.

Enjoy the time with your mum xx
  • MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hear things are tough at the moment hun. Many of us have been in similar places so we can sympathise and send hugs. Be kind to yourself and only go back to work when you feel ready. Xx
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6923.98/£15,000 XMAS: £607.21 CAR/HOUSE: £550
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family