Mrs S.....life after debt

Options

Comments

• MrsSave
    MrsSave Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The last week or so have been very up and down. I think last week caught up with me and by the weekend I just couldn’t cope with anything. It got so bad that I contacted a therapist and had my first session yesterday. Obviously this is going to cost money, but I’m so close to going back to the doctor which I know would result in me being signed off sick again. As much as I’m struggling at the moment, I’m not sure being signed off is the answer and I’m hoping the normality and routine of work will help.

On the positive side work have said that they’ll pay me my full wages for November despite me being off for half of it and on reduced hours for the other half. I am so grateful for that. Once I found that out I sat and worked out my December budget and made sure I put enough aside for my therapy sessions. I will be getting paid tomorrow.

I’m determined to stick to my food budget in December and have a really good month. I’m planning to have home deliveries for the month to keep some control and to save me having to go shopping.
    Starting a new debt free journey
    Starting Debt: £5,250
    Current Debt: £4,995.50
    Amount Paid: £254.50 Percentage Paid: 4.84%
    Emergency Fund: £350
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Well hello new site! I feel a little lost at the moment but I’m sure I’ll find my way around soon! 
    I was trying to work my way around here when I realised that I hadn’t actually posted since November. I pop on here regularly but just read other people’s posts/diaries rather than my own!

Just a little 2020 update. January was the best month we’d had in a very long while. Things got a little tough by the end of the year and once I work my way around the signatures (if I still have one) I’ll have to remove the debt free part. That’s obviously not great at all, and we did use credit cards towards the end of the year on a couple of bigger purchases. Thankfully the amounts are relatively small and we’ve paid a good chunk off already. We didn’t eat out at all during January or have a single takeaway so that was one way of saving money. The money saved was put towards the cards. The debt increase happened when I was off work sick (I’m not sure what I have already posted) but ended up off for a couple of months with stress, anxiety and depression. Mix that in with someone who has to constantly work to be on top of spending is not great and things fell out of my control for a little while.

I am so pleased that I can say I’m in a completely different place mentally now and that is showing with the debt decreasing quickly and my weight also now going down (I also gained a stone and a half between August and the beginning of January).

Right, that’s my little update, time now to find my way around here!
  • dawnybabes
    dawnybabes Posts: 2,581 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You have had managed spending - that’s really good and shows how far you’ve come 
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66 :j
  • MrsSave
    Options
    It’s been a while and so much has happened in the world! Thankfully we haven’t been massively affected by Covid (touch wood!) and in fact our current financial situation is about as stable as it’s been for a long time. My earnings haven’t changed but I’ve taken on a load of new responsibilities in work. I’m hoping that it will reflect in my income eventually, but I’m lucky to still be employed at the moment (there have been redundancies and big changes and I’ve been least affected out of everyone). I was furloughed for quite a few months, but work topped up my wages so I received 100% throughout. I am now permanently working from home and loving it. Work are happy for me to do all the school runs and work with the children at home so we’re saving money with no childcare to pay out. 

We are back to being free from credit cards so our only debt is our mortgage. I’m also back building my emergency fund and the big aim is to get that to £10,000 (eventually). It’s slow progress, but that’s better than no progress. 

My mental health is pretty good at the moment. I had a few wobbles during the first big lockdown (one particularly bad episode but I now recognise when things are getting bad and can put things in place to help, even if it's to take time for myself). I have been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and that definitely doesn’t help. I got my medication to the right level, but I think it will need amending again soon. My last blood test showed things getting worse again, but not quite bad enough to increase the tablets. A few symptoms are returning though so I’m guessing the next blood test in the Spring will mean changes.

My goals for 2021 will be to keep on top of the food shopping spends and to continue with savings pots. I’m really hopeful that 2021 will be a good year for us financially!
  • MrsSave
    edited 23 December 2020 at 8:39AM
    Options
    2 days until Christmas 😁

We’re in a complete lockdown here (Wales), but I think it’s definitely needed. We’re just making the most of being at home, and having fun. I’ve spent some time over the past few days looking at future finances rather than just the here and now and made a few small changes. I have opened up a LISA for when I’m older (only had a couple of years left to do it!). I know pensions are probably better, but I’ll be able to access this before retirement age and it’ll be a nice lump sum for a time when my children might be getting married/starting a family so I’ll have the means to help out more. I do pay into a pension each month too. I’ve also rounded up my mortgage so I’m making a small overpayment each month without having to think about it. It’s a very small amount, but a mortgage overpayment calculator shows it will knock almost a year off my mortgage. I am also working on building my emergency fund back up. I’m aiming for 6 months spends in case it’s ever needed. I’m almost at 1 month so quite a way to go, but progress being made each month.

I’ve also looked a bit more into my boys’ savings. They have had a Junior ISA each since birth but I didn’t like the fact that they basically had all their eggs in one basket so to speak. I have opened a future saver each for them which will remain in my name until I decide to transfer it to them. The interest on that is 1% which isn’t brilliant, but I don’t think is terrible at the moment. I have also bought premium bonds for each using some Christmas money. This means they’ll have a few different money pots when they’re older which will be available to them at different ages. 

It’s nice to be putting money away for the future, though I do wish I had been far more money savvy 20 years ago. However, no point looking back in regret. I’m just hoping that my boys don’t make the same mistakes as me in their twenties.

I hope you all have a super Christmas 🎄
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Nice update and good to hear that you have no debt apart from the mortgage and are building up savings. Enjoy your Christmas even in lockdown. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MrsSave
    Options
    And then it was nearly August!

Being debt free feels like just the start of a super long journey. We are spending more and more at the moment and I really need to pull it back. Our food spends are huge and money is like water flowing out of the house. 

I want to set some goals for August and the rest of the year to help with my mindset. These are:
    • Keep food spends to less than £300,
    • Check my ‘pots’ before buying anything rather than working out afterwards where the money is going to come from,
    • Work on having overpaid the mortgage by a full month’s payment this year. Currently at £271.27/£485.89,
    • Make £50 in extra income during August.
    They all appear to be simple goals, but will really help me get back on track. I have a virtual pot for the school holidays and trying to be as frugal as possible so make sure we have lots of fun without spending too much.

Today we’re having a trip to the cinema. I used Meerkat movies so the total for the 3 of us (husband is working) was £10.77. I have made them a lunchbox of treats each to take which cost a total of £3.60 (so £1.80 each) and I think they’re going to love them when they see the contents! The kids combo boxes from the cinema are around that price each (and have far less in them!). I’m just going to have a late breakfast and take a can of drink and maybe some popcorn if there’s any left over once I’ve out some in the boys’ boxes.

I think the biggest challenge this month will be the food spends. I haven’t stuck to our food budget once since the first lockdown. My food month starts on the 26th each month and I’ve already spent £44.91/£300. That did include 2 big packs of peppermint oil capsules from Holland and Barrett which will last me 6 months (they’re one of the things that really help with my IBS and I’ve been taking them since a massive flare up I had back in January. I tried stopping them to see and had to start back within a few days). I’ve worked out that I will do 3 main supermarket shops (Tesco at the moment due to children/school holidays/click and collect) and will have a further 4 trips to pick up fruit and veg from a local wholesaler. I’m determined to stick to budget, even with the boys being home and buying more picnic type foods.

Here goes…
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Get me…….2 posts in one day!

Today went well. I spent £3.60 on parking, and gave the boys £2 each to buy a book from the bookshop. They were my only spends. I asked my eldest whether he preferred the treat boxes I packed for them to take to the cinema or the ones we used to buy at the cinema and the eldest said the ones I make as there were more treats. I call that a win.

The parking was unavoidable but I did park further away from the cinema as the closest car park that I’d usually use would have cost £5 for the same time.

I have been looking at food shopping tonight. I am really struggling to bring it down but determined to stick to budget this next month. This is going to be a huge challenge. I used to spend far less and I can’t see that we buy lots more now to justify the increase in cost. I need to look in more details to make sure there aren’t any hidden spends!
  • MrsSave
    Options
    Happy Thursday  :)

I’m working today and my mil is looking after the boys. In theory I can have them at home (I am now permanently working from home) but it’s easier for me and nicer for them. It means they get attention and I get to work in peace. It’s also ds1’s birthday over the weekend so I can spend some time wrapping his gifts and making sure we have everything ready.

Today should be a nsd. I’m not going anywhere and don’t need to buy anything. I’ve got a couple of lunch options from leftover dinners. For tonight’s dinner I’m trying a new recipe for a Chinese fakeaway. We’re going to have orange chicken, rice and some veg. I love cooking and trying new recipes.

I hope everyone has a good day  :)
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,659 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Some great goals there. I think food prices have gone up. We seem to be spending more. Good win on cinema treats box. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback