What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 14th May?

Options

Comments

• foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,138 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all,
    A no spend day today, as have been busy in the garden for most of it. Got a bit of free exercise taking my new bike out for a practice....haven't cycled for well over 20 years so it was a bit of an experience! Fab sunshine here....in fact TOO hot, but I got the rest of this week's laundry pegged out & dried for free. Planted out quite a few bedding plants for some summer colour & a flowery buffet for useful pollinators. All grown from free seed. Tonight's meal involves more rubber chicken. That's it for today....oh actually I did do a Toluna survey - 12000 points. Not sure what came over them!
    Not money saving.....Beanageddon. Still time to re-sow. Will wobble myself & new bicycle down to village garden centre tomorrow to buy a new packet.
    Cheers all,
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Gemsy81
    Gemsy81 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    My first post on one of these threads! Enjoying reading everyone's 'tips'!

The big thing I have done today is address the joke that is the service we are getting from our banks. Our business account is TSB and I am still suffering with their inability to get anything fixed, or deal with the no doubt millions of complaints they have. My personal account is with Barclays, who, when I called up telephone banking last week told me my accounts were frozen(!), making me dash to the branch in a panic only to be told they have no idea what the lady on the phone was talking about!
    So.....
    - Opened Nationwide account on a friends referral, so we will both be getting a £100 referrers fee! Hands down, the easiest account I have ever opened, it took me about 10 minutes in total, and am using the switching service so nothing left for me to do....seriously impressed so far.
    - Nationwide offered me (on the same credit check) their credit card at 0% for a year. I have a card just about to end its 0% period, so this is seriously good timing for a balance transfer so I can get it cleared quicker!
    - Put in application for a new business account with Santander - a years free banking, and I can escape this whole TSB debacle

- £850 PPI refund from Lloyds confirmed for OH
    - Went for a lovely walk (free exercise and sunshine!)
    - Persuaded OH to eat all of our nearly out of date leftovers from the fridge...its fine, he had an iron constitution!
    - Eating the last of the cottage pie I cooked last night
    - Still have three days worth of meals in the cupboards
    - Loaded triple nectar points for BP fuel onto my card - I am saving all my Nectar points up so I can pay for our staff's Christmas presents out of these this year (booze and chocolate for 20 people!)

Hope you have all had a lovely day in the sun x
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Evening all :hello:, and welcome Gemsy81

I presume that no news from Dawn is good news, and hope that all went well yesterday.

CLF - hope you're feeling better soon.

Another quick check in from me today as I'm so busy. The first exam went ok by all accounts - the students seemed quite positive about it all so fingers crossed. Next one is on Thursday.

Bagged another nsd :D
    Busy day at work and got through my to-do list again :D
    Took 2 of the cats to the vet for annual boosters :D (although one of them seems a bit grumpy and unwell since we got home bless him)
    Popped to the travel agent for a couple of holiday brochures. I am completely determined that I am going to give my kids one foreign holiday before they grow up :D
    Sat down and had leftovers at 7pm :D
    Now feeling utterly exhausted and desperate for an early night, and hopefully a better night of sleep than I had last night. :D
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning all, quick one before I'm away out the door. This week has been productive so want to stay on track despite a long day at work today:
    Check banking
    Check surveys
    Smalls left over bolegnase from last night for tea
    I made lunch for work today, made eldest packed lunch. DH day off so he will eat from stores
    Have something out of freezer yesterday for tea
    DH to hand deliver card for friend today
    DH to talk about mortgage tonight and me to do some comparisons on life insurance rather than necessarily go with the broker, whose a bit pushy to say the least but has found us a good deal so I'll let him off ;)
    Try and paint my toenails before the sun comes out again :rotfl:
    Hot drink for commute

Right must get on want to leave by 6.30 and still need to eat breakfast. Have a good day.
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 16 May 2018 at 1:38PM
    Options
    Morning all

Welcome aboard Gemsy81 :)

Dawn - I hope all is ok xx

Feeling a bit better thanks. I've took some anti-histamines which is helping a bit.

Today's list:
    • B/L/D from stores
    • Pack suitcase!
    • Ring taxi for airport - done
    • Water seedlings in greenhouse. Bring them into the house while I'm away to prevent slug attack
    • Ask my neighbour to keep an eye on garden and put bins out
    • No alcohol - it's normally a bit of a ritual for me to take myself for a pint on the way home from work on my last day in. It's a happy ritual that only involves 1-2 pints but I'm doing so well on cutting down. Depending on how I feel, I will either go home and sit in the garden, or go for a walk instead.
    • Knit sock. I turned the heel last night and am ready to pick up the gusset stitches. I hope they don't mind the dpns on the plane.
    • Bedding into the wash and out on the line to dry. - done
    Have a good one all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Welcome Gemsy this is a great friendly thread that keeps me on the straight and narrow:j!!
    CLF hope things settle for u soon. A friend has an ENT problem and despite surgery he still suffers with his ears badly:(. Berlin sounds fab:)
    Thinking of DawnW. If u just managing to read, sending hugs and hoping u have a speedy recovery

The minestrone soup was a success but have bucket loads of it:D. So that's lunches sorted for today and tomorrow and the rest can go into the freezer. Also feel like I'm eating very healthy and having my 5 a day:T (ignoring the fact that I ate a big bar of chocolate that was part of a birthday present yesterday:p!!)

Cat cleaning still to do-about to start in a minute
    Banking all checked, all good
    Some bits to do in town this morning
    Housework when back home.
    Didn't get a lot of sleep last night so may need to have a catch up this afternoon or leg really swells badly
    Nick to pick up an item from sorting office that has been there quite a bit. Need to pick up today otherwise it will end up being sent back to the sender.
    Can't think of anything else
    Have a great day everyone x
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Also feel like I'm eating very healthy and having my 5 a day:T (ignoring the fact that I ate a big bar of chocolate that was part of a birthday present yesterday:p!!)

Cocoa is a bean and so chocolate is def a plant :D
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • spudsmum
    spudsmum Posts: 584 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all! Welcome Gemsy and hope everyone else is getting on ok.

I seem to have found my mojo again so normal frugal service has been resumed thankfully.

Happened to be in the nearest city earlier this week so did my shop at the new massive Lidi thats just been built there - was fab and i got everything i needed with no need to go to @sda afterwards. Went slightly over budget by £10 but i got Some stuff which will last for 2-3 weeks so I hopefully wont spend as much in the coming weeks. found most things were significantly cheaper and also got their nappies which are fab and half the cost of my usual ones (which adds up quickly when you have twins!) we've been very impressed with what we've tried so far so will definitely go again - probably not every week as it's too far away to be viable but maybe every 3 weeks or so for a stock up?

I've also just had some vouchers from morrisons - £40 off over 3 shops - just need to work out if i will actually save by using them as morrisons does always seem to come out quite a lot more expensive.

In moneysaving news this week:

:A cashed out £21.73 from prolific
    :A cashed out £5 amazon voucher from swagbucks
    :A cashed out £4 amazon vouchers from ipsos
    :A cashed out £6.97 from various other surveys
    :A paid £45.50 to MBNA card :T:T:T now at £799.50 in extra payments since Feb.
    :A found £1 roadkill in LIdi trolley
    :A planted some more beans, peas and strawberry plants
    :A £7.40 cashback from checkout smart
    :A sorted and listed some more junk online £5 worth sold and collected already.
    :A no top up shops done this week due to mega lidi shop
    :A NSD yesterday and today hopefully

Think thats it for now. Have a good day all
    Total debts £21050! :eek: now £10941. 76. Total extra income made in Jan22 £109. 27 Feb 22 £45.25 Total extra income made in 2022 £154.52 Aiming for debt free at 45 - 41 months to go!
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Wow spudsmum - you've done some serious moneysaving this week!

I lost my nsd today by forgetting to pick my lunch up on the way out of the door - so I spent £3 at work on a sandwich and a drink. Also spent £2 on a charity pin at school. Other than that though I'm busy and keeping the faith as best I can moneywise.

Leftovers for dinner tonight :D
  • E11ie
    E11ie Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Hiiiii

I've had a crazy week so far and it's only Wednesday, hope everyone else is having a good one.

I worked an overtime shift yesterday so have been extra tired today, back tomorrow for another 12 hours but then it's 3 days off. As for the all important money saving....

Today I met up with a friend, spent £1.60 which am quite pleased with as it so easily could've turned into a lunch for £8
    Went to the gym and used their shower too
    Finally sold my old mobile phone so just need to send that off on friday
    Posted 2 eBay sales
    2 loads of washing done on the quick setting
    About to batch cook for tonight and tomorrow's dinner / lunch / dinner
    Aim to also make some bread - I don't know why I haven't made this sooner, I used to love baking but now it just feels like extra work, but I really must use up my cupboard contents as my moving day looms ever closer.
    Oh and I managed to answer 2 swagbucks surveys, not far away from a £10 amazon voucher now.

Will try and put my feet up sometime this evening :-) I hope you all do too
    Total debts £6471.03 / £6261 all currently on 0% interest
    Make £2018 in 2018 = £1010
    Focus on 1% challenge = £64.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business