The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt

Options

Comments

• Butti
    Butti Posts: 5,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 September 2018 at 11:57PM
    Options
    I'm in the moment so i shall elaborate on this, and try not to drip on the keyboard.

I want people to try and understand a girl who was primarily raised in the 1970's. Imagine being in the 1970's and that being all you know. This is my early life....as a white middle class girl.......it may not be others.

So you are a girl in a family of five, you are the youngest, you have two older brothers and it is the 1970's. Your father is the most important person in the family. He earns the living, your mother earns the holiday money. Every evening, he gets the most food because he is the wage earner. Then everyone else gets food. If you are short of food, it is your mother who goes without. This happens without expression or even acknowledgement.

In my family (this is weird) there appears to have been an informal rule that whoever finishes eating first can have seconds. Hence I have brothers whose eating habits are just a blur.

I conversely, because I'm a girl, because I was required to be a certain size, a certain shape and to be quiet (because my father was the only person who was allowed to express anger in our house) just developed borderline anorexia followed (when I failed at that!) with other eating disorders.

I'm highly conscious at meal times of how disfunctional my past has been. if I am at a meal with my brothers they will finish at high speed. When i am out with my friends I am just highly uncomfortable, usually because meal times were stressful for me and they like to complain and up the anti and therefore up my stress levels. Meal times for me were a performance and about keeping yourself in check. I remember one Sunday dinner having a too hot roast potato in my mouth, being unable to spit it out and being able to taste blood as it welded itself to the top of my mouth.

On top of this family picture you need to impose the 70's. A media picture where women were adornments, assistants and as a 'nice middle class girl' you were being lined up for teaching, nursing or a secretarial post. Everything on TV had the man presenting and the woman looking nice. The communication was that we needed to do well at school. The metacommunication was that my brothers would go to university and I needed to meet a man that had gone to university.
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,381 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Big huggles Butti my friend.
    Just remember that you are awesome & one of the nicest peeple I know xxx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Butti
    Options
    Bit of a rant last night!
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • Circle1987
    Options
    Haven't checked in with you for a while. Good luck tomorrow with your Op. Here, I speak on behalf of a few of us frequent-Butti-responders, when I say.. Have some virtual grapes and a virtual glass of wine (we all chipped in didn't we guys!?) and it's expensive win. Cost us £250 - it's pure vintage so enjoy!
    Wishing you a speed recovery and a few overpaid repayments.
    "An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." -- Benjamin Franklin

Total Mortgage: £212,746.54
  • beanielou
    Options
    Hope all goes well for you tomorrow Butti my friend.
    Will be thinking of you & chanting too.
    Take care xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• starnac
    starnac Posts: 5,917 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hope all goes well
    Goals for September
    Declutter 10/20
    Money Made £56.52/£200
    Overpayments £0/£200 not this month as need to put into savings instead
  • Butti
    Options
    Op was about midday. Was feeling a bit sick but one of my fellow captives has given me a can of coke. Managed to eat some salmon with hollandaise sauce and potatoes and veg. The food is loads better than I remember.
    Optimistic about getting out tomorrow.
    48% off mortgage

• beanielou
    Options
    Fellow captives :rotfl:
    Hope all went well & you get out tomorrow.
    Take care xx

• Butti
    Options
    Not getting out today. Probably breaking out tomorrow once my drain stops draining!
    48% off mortgage

• That's disappointing for you but think of the money you are saving on food, electric etc! ;):rotfl: Seriously though, hope you recover quickly and manage to escape!:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback