julicorn's journey

Comments

• julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hello everyone! It's been almost a month since my last update, time flies and all that!

All is pretty well here. Mr julicorn is back in the office now, which is a bit of a shame but what can you do. Having the flat to myself during the day isn't too bad though, it's been a long time since I've had this much alone time and I'm making the most of it. 
    Work is pretty busy, a bit stressful at times, but what's new? We're going to Germany in a week and a half though, to hang out with my parents on that German island I was talking about, so that will be nice. Might still have to do a teeny tiny bit of work while we're there, but hopefully nothing too in depth. 

I was a bit naughty and entered out pay into YNAB today already, even though we're only getting paid tomorrow / Wednesday. Cheeky! Either way, with that update, Our 'offset' mortgage balance (actual balance minus the mortgage savings pot) is around £123,500 now, and over 8 years ahead of schedule (i.e. have a balance we would only reach in November 2028 without overpayments). Exciting stuff! 

The overpayments are all going into Premium Bonds at the moment, btw, and in my first draw I have won... *drumroll* £0!  :D Definitely getting flashbacks to playing the lottery here, I guess that's what I wanted.

In non-work and non-money news, I have started swimming in the sea much more regularly, which is lovely (aside from increasingly strong waves ruining my overly enthusiastic 'maybe I should go swimming every day' plans). Why not make the most of having the sea less than 5 minutes walk away?

Anyway, I hope you're all doing well <3 
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,239 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Good to hear from you.
    Enjoy your break  :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • julicorn
    beanielou said:
    Good to hear from you.
    thanks beanie, I'm really looking forward to it :) I hope you are well x
  • beanielou
    julicorn said:
    beanielou said:
    Good to hear from you.
    thanks beanie, I'm really looking forward to it :) I hope you are well x
    Thank you, I am plodding on :) x
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• Sistergold
    Sistergold Posts: 2,032 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Time surely is flying! 
    Welldone on the mortgage front! 8years knocked off is really awesome! Keep it up! 
    5 minutes from the 🏖 sounds nice! Every time I hear you talk about the beach being a stone throw away I just wish I was in that location! But hey my job has never been that I can be by the beach 🏖 more so now that money is very critical I just have to stick to London! Post us a nice sunset picture one of these days! 🥰
    Initial mortgage bal £487.5k, current £266.8k, target £243,750(halfway!)
    Mortgage start date first week of July 2019,
    Mortgage term 23yrs(end of June 2042🙇🏽♀️), 
    Target is to pay it off in 10years(by 2030🥳). 
    MFW#10 (2022/23 mfw#34)(2021 mfw#47)(2020 mfw#136)
    £12K in 2021 #54 (in 2020 #148)
    MFiT-T6#27
    To save £100K in 48months start 01/07/2020 Achieved 30/05/2023 👯♀️
    Am a single mom of 4. 
    Do not wait to buy a property, Buy a property and wait. 🤓
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    8 years overpayment *and* sea swimming are both top notch achievements, julicorn!  Good for you!  Though I really hope you're not going in when its windy/stormy like this **shivers uncontrollably**
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • julicorn
    Time surely is flying! 
    Welldone on the mortgage front! 8years knocked off is really awesome! Keep it up! 
    5 minutes from the 🏖 sounds nice! Every time I hear you talk about the beach being a stone throw away I just wish I was in that location! But hey my job has never been that I can be by the beach 🏖 more so now that money is very critical I just have to stick to London! Post us a nice sunset picture one of these days! 🥰
    Thank you Sistergold! And yes, I love it here. I get to make so much of it now I don't have the commute everyday as well (it was the best part of an hour each way), and can just go down to the beach straight after work when it's swimming weather. But then, I'm sure London has its perks too :)
    Will definitely post a photo once it's a little nicer again <3 
  • julicorn
    Karmacat said:
    8 years overpayment *and* sea swimming are both top notch achievements, julicorn!  Good for you!  Though I really hope you're not going in when its windy/stormy like this **shivers uncontrollably**
    Thanks so much, Karmacat! And no, absolutely not, haha! I'm very much wrapped up in a blanket in front of my computer with a hot beverage right now, rather than in the sea :D 
  • julicorn
    Hi everyone! 
    A little update, not the best one to be honest because this week hasn't been fantastic, but hey ho. I've been feeling run down for the last 2 weeks or so, and on Monday half of my face sort of stopped working for lack of better description (eye wouldn't close, mouth and eyebrow don't move like normal, can't taste with half my tongue) - well, it's Bell's Palsy apparently. Should be a temporary thing so fingers crossed, but the steroids they put me on made me feel a bit crappy for a few days, and now that has been replaced by just feeling quite down about not looking like myself. The prospect of going back to work and video calls / presentations next week isn't exactly great either, although I suppose no one would blame me for keeping the camera off for a bit. 

In more positive news, I'm absolutely loving autumn and embracing the cosiness and witchy vibes. I'm burning lots of candles and trying to learn tarot at the moment - It's been an interest of mine for a while but I always thoughts people would think I'm an absolute nutter (as a scientist / atheist), but you know what, life's too short. If I enjoy something, I don't need to find justifications for other people. 
    My 30th birthday is also coming up in a few weeks. My plan was to throw a Halloween party like most years, but that's not really an option or something I'm keen on with Covid and all. No real plans at the moment, but Mr Julicorn and I have booked half a week off so that should be nice. At this stage, I kind of just would like my face to work properly again. 

The mortgage progress is also pretty good, actual balance is under £130k now, and with the overpayment savings pot deducted, it's under £120k. My little Appen side gig of rating Instagram adverts has ended which is a bit of a shame, but I'm hoping to put more energy into my cross stitch shop instead. :)

Anyway, I hope you are all having a good weekend and are staying dry and healthy <3 
  • beanielou
    Hope yiou feel more like yourself really soon.
    Take care  xx

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback