julicorn's journey

Options

Comments

• julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The overpayment has gone through, and our LTV on the mortgage account is now showing as 66%! :eek: When we bought the flat a year ago, we had a 25% deposit, and now we seem to be owning a third of our flat already. Some of this is due to increase in value, but I'll take it anyway.

Perhaps inspired by the progress cross stitch (and the fact that I'm off ill at home at the moment :( ) I've decided to sell some cross stitch patterns on etsy in the new year. I uploaded one years ago and it ended up earning me a bit of money. It's quite nice passive income actually! This time, I want to do it properly though. Simple designs, uploading one a week or so, and hopefully I'll find the time to do a test stitch as well so I can take some proper pictures. I'll wait until I've made 10 or so though before opening an etsy shop again. Just made 2 patterns this afternoon, one X-Files based ("I want to believe") and one a RuPaul's Drag Race quote ("No T(ea), no shade") - I can see a theme already :rotfl:

Anyway, hope you're all doing well. :heart2:
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    If the other 2/3rds went as quick you would be laughing :rotfl: however bubble burst (er) as I am :eek:not likely to happen, Challenge No. 1 coming up . . . but would like to be proved wrong :D

Unless your clever idea works :T which we all hope - it does :D

Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Just saw your cross stitch - how lovely :T
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • julicorn
    Options
    Thank you AFK! And yes, as much as I hope to get a few extra £s from that etsy idea, I doubt it's going to pay off the mortgage quite that quickly. :rotfl: We shall wait and see! :D
  • Poppycat1
    Options
    Julicorn, I love your cross stich idea. I think I'm going to use it too. Maybe a simple house design, (ie child drawn house) that I could frame and hang up when the mortgage is paid off or I'm mortgage neutral. If only I could quilt and do the same and then I would have a lovely bed quilt afterwards. Thank you.
    Without overpayments: 15 years, 1 monthsBecause of overpayments: 10 years, 10 months left until paid off
  • julicorn
    Options
    Thank you Poppycat! I love the idea of a quilt as well, that would be fantastic. You could always use it as an opportunity to learn a new skill :)
  • julicorn
    Options
    Merry Christmas everyone!

Hope you're all having a great time. My husband caught the flu unfortunately (booo!), so we're somewhat stuck in Germany with my family. The plan was to leave on Thursday, and head to Wales on Friday, but it doesn't look like he'll be fit to travel by then.

As for all those MSE plans: We managed to overpay the full £5k we were hoping for this month (yay!), but won't be able to make any overpayments next month, because I did a rather naughty thing and stole a bit of money from our emergency fund (I know, I know!) to book flights in the BA sale to go to JAPAN next year! :j I'm so excited. That also means that our first financial goal for 2019 is to finally get the emergency fund up to £11k. We should be able to achieve that by early February.

2019 goals, and where we're at atm:
    Emergency fund (by February): £8,798.22/£10,000
    Japan holiday (by October): £1,296.84/£4,800
    Start saving for New England holiday (by end of year): £0/£1,100
    Mortgage overpayments: £0/£15,600

Either way, I hope you're all enjoying the holidays and getting some well-deserved rest! :)
  • Hazelnutty
    Options
    Ooh I'd love to go to Japan! DD is learning a little Japanese at school and also does judo so it'd be an amazing thing to do. Have you been before?
    Choose kind:)
  • julicorn
    Options
    Hazelnutty wrote: »
    Ooh I'd love to go to Japan! DD is learning a little Japanese at school and also does judo so it'd be an amazing thing to do. Have you been before?

No, I've never been! Trying to learn a few phrases on duolingo at the moment. We've been wanting to go for years, but didn't really have the money while saving for a flat and all that. Mr julicorn has been to Japan before, but that was when he was in primary school (it was some sort of Welsh-Japanese cultural exchange programme - I know, pretty odd!), so he has only a few memories because he was 10 at the time. That's great that your DD is able to learn Japanese at school!
  • Nichelette
    Nichelette Posts: 2,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've just finished reading your diary as we will also have a fairly large mortgage (also SE) and I'd like to see how people in a similar situation are dealing with it all. We're actually not that far away from Brighton. I went to Sussex uni many years ago and very much miss Brighton. I would love to move back but our jobs are in Surrey so it's a bit far too travel! Anyway, good luck getting the mortgage down. I'll try and pop in now and again :).
    Finally bought a home
    Starting mortgage £289,500 31.01.19 - Current outstanding £207,243.66
    Overpayments since 27.03.19: £46,161.46
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family