julicorn's journey

Options

Comments

• julicorn
    julicorn Posts: 2,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's the weekend, hallelujah! I've had a fairly busy but also productive week at work. Earlier this week, I suggested a plan for some restructuring to the other directors, and they were really excited about it which was great - I was a bit worried they might not be on board. But that means I've got to actually turn that into reality now, which I think is easier said than done. Either way, it's been pretty full-on.

I've just taken the time to update the 'mortgage progress cross stitch' though, which was fun. I should definitely do more crafts again, it's just so relaxing and it's nice to see the result at the end. I've also updated our spreadsheets, and we've managed to get the balance below £190k :j Also, our LTV according to the mortgage website is now 69%, but that appears to include an increase in home value.

Goal for October: £15k paid off the mortgage balance so far, and a monthly overpayment of £1,200.

Now I'm about to head into town. A friend of mine who I haven't seen in about a year is coming over this afternoon. I can't wait :) Have a lovely weekend everyone!
    Original mortgage: December 2017, £203,495
    MFW start: April 2018, £201,800
    Mortgage neutral: September 2022, mortgage redeemed: December 2022
    New house, new mortgage: December 2022, £276,007
    Current balance: £217,800 minus £8,300 overpayment savings pot
  • MrMFW
    MrMFW Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Have a great weekend julicorn!

Love the idea of the mortgage process cross stitch combining crafting with MFW :D
    Mortgage: 04/02/2019: £96,927
    Overpayments 2019: £725.06
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,310 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Have a lovely afternoon with your friend :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • julicorn
    Options
    Thank you both! I had a really nice time with my friend - ended up being a bit more spendy than I wanted it to be, but I'm not beating myself up over that. :)

Goals for today:
    Sort through my clothes, and switch over wardrobe to 'autumn clothes' (Halloween-themed work-wear, here I come! :D ) and prepare for the short film I'm directing next Sunday.

I also just opened the new Marcus savings account, mainly so I can get rid of that Birmingham Midshires account (its website just annoyed me every time I used it!).
  • julicorn
    Options
    I just realised that that new savings account also means that we now get higher interest on an instant-access savings account (1.5%) than on our mortgage (1.41%). It therefore really doesn't make sense for us to keep overpaying the mortgage as long as we have that interest rate (July next year). We'll just put the mortgage overpayments into the savings account for now, and pay off a lump sum when we get a new (higher) rate.
    I'll still be updating here though, and just use the real mortgage balance minus the money we put aside for overpayments as our balances... Always trying to make it that little bit more complicated! :D
  • julicorn
    Options
    It's been a little while! I've been checking in quite regularly, but haven't updated this thread or really even commented on everyone else's. What can I say, life does get in the way sometimes.

We've not made any overpayments since I opened that Marcus savings account, but have decided to make a final overpayment this year before they recalculate our monthly payment end of December. With a bit of a push, we might be able to pay £5k, which would be a great end to our first year of overpayments, and also mean we'd have paid off 10% of our mortgage in the first year alone.

It looks like November might be quite a good month. I'm getting my Christmas bonus this year, a new work laptop, and have also just applied for a cashback credit card that pays 5% for the first 3 months (just in time for those Christmas purchases :) ).

Either way, I hope you're all doing alright and having a lovely Sunday :heart2:
  • julicorn
    Options
    Might as well update those end of year goals as well. :)

Center Parcs: £1,000/£1,000
    Maintenance fees: £500/£500

Home improvements: £850/£1,000
    Mortgage OP: £1,200/£5,000
  • beanielou
    Options
    Totals all looking good :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• julicorn
    Options
    Thank you beanie :) hope you're doing alright!
  • beanielou
    Options
    julicorn wrote: »
    Thank you beanie :) hope you're doing alright!

Ploddiong on!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback