PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Seller moved the goal posts

Options

Comments

• kk235b
    kk235b Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Oh wow, Jaywood, we seem to be on the exact same emotional timeline! I have moved from uncertainly to anxiety and today escalated to absolute fury that people who are taking your bloody money can be SO SELFISH and want everything on their terms, and, as you say, treat you like a gullible moron! I may be a FTB, but I wasn't born yesterday, I absolutely know that my seller is just trying to buy time and hoping to keep me at bay until her related purchase is ready, so she can cosily hop from one house to the next while I live out of a suitcase in my friend's spare room. I am being fed a slow drip of information to keep me hopeful and I'm sick of it. and about an hour ago I emailed the EA to say I'm rapidly losing interest and exchange&completion dates need to be proposed right now.

Absolutely enraging how people treat people. There are some very entitled little snowflakes out there.
  • AndyTails
    AndyTails Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    I once had an offer accepted on a "chain free" house being sold by a divorcing couple. A few weeks later it had changed to a branching chain, i.e. both of the couple were making an onwards purchase tied to the sale! I pulled out...
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    Oh dear I can't help thinking it's the agent who has bent the story here. If the seller hasn't even begun proceedings with their solicitor they clearly had no intention of selling until they found something to buy. And they still haven't.

You could try an ultimatum but tbh until you have found a different chain free house to buy instead you may as well just sit and wait. Keep looking, but bear in mind any other house you find could end up the same.
  • Jaywood89
    Jaywood89 Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks again guys

Quick update: my solicitor called the EA today after they received the email from the vendors solicitors stating they haven’t got the vendors ID or payment

The EA apparently apologised and said she is just passing on info as she is told it, my solicitor advise this isn’t good enough and someone needs to put a fire up the vendors bottom if they want this sale. The EA then emailed me to apologise and stated she has spoke to the vendors solicitors and they have confirmed they have no ID for the client and so the drafts (that are drawn up) cannot be sent. The vendor has now paid the fee and the EA is sending their copy of the vendors ID over as the vendor is away till Monday.

Still no answer to the chain question however, I’m giving them till Tuesday now to send draft copies of the contracts. At this point I’m going to state that either the vendor moves in with her daughter as she has stated she is doing or I no sale, I won’t wait for her to find a flat for herself. She can do that from her daughters house.

Keeping fingers crossed cus I really don’t want to do this all over again!
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There may well be 2 vendors. You are only dealing with one. Which may add complexity.
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It drives me insane how long it takes to complete, my partner and I bought this house in 1996, it was empty as a part exchange for a new house, and we were coming from my council flat - no chain, but took a year!! :(

I've recently bought the same house off my now ex partner, he lives abroad and I was already living here, so again no chain, yet again took a year! :(

I honestly think you have to keep badegering EA's and solicitors - so keep on it, and don't give up if you really want the place and can't afford to pay out on more surveys elsewhere.
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    Options
    If the seller's solicitor has not had any info from the seller, I don't see how any draft contract can have been drawn up.
  • Jaywood89
    Options
    That’s what I thought, I think it’s just a sprinkle of something to hold onto by the EA rather than just saying nothing has been done.

I would much rather the truth and be able to make decisions based on that but telling silly lies just makes people angry and more likely to throw their toys out the pram and walk away.

This seems a common practice for EA’s
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    kk235b wrote: »
    Yeah it's enraging isn't it? I'm currently buying a house that was advertised as chain free, which was brilliant as I was in a 6 month rental contract. A few days before proposed exchange date, it transpired the seller decided to buy a place after all and now my rental is up and I'm basically couchsurfing while she pushes the date further and further out and doesn't update EA or solicitors, and I do feel like she is stalling for time until her new property is ready to move into. Mind boggling how selfish people can be!!

With respect, you shouldn't have given notice and moved out of your rented place until after exchange. Literally anything could have happened to delay or cancel the sale.

Its not the vendor's fault you jumped the gun, why should they make themselves homeless to save you from your own mistake?
  • Jaywood89
    Options
    With respect red squirrel. I didn’t

It’s my partners rental and it runs to every twelve months. Which ends in May. He would either have to sign another 12 months or give notice to leave.

As it is a 3 bed with all the his plus the new houses furniture in it it would be extremely costly and time consuming to move a lot of it into storage and then have him (and my two step sons) stay with us in our small house while we wait for our vendor.

And If the vendor states they are chain free and a ready to move when the buyer is then It’s not my fault she lied and doesn’t want to move in with the daughter while she searches for a new property. She’s not saving me from any mistakes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure