Santander sending me text messages that I cannot identify as Genuine

Options

Comments

• 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think the issue was sending a text message as such - it was that the text message asked you to do something - to reply - and there was no way of knowing if this was from the bank or a fraudster.

I can tell you're quite categorically that I would never reply to an unexpected text purporting to be from my bank with an option to reply 1 to confirm or whatever. The bank should not be doing this

Note that I am saying unexpected - if I had just bought say an iPad and then got a text saying was it you who made this transaction then that would not be unexpected and I would reply. Anything else - well you must be joking

I am sure if Santander had sent a text saying we would like you to switch to paperless and if you want to do this please log on to your account and select the appropriate setting there would have been probably less of an issue (although you probably have to ask to op to confirm this)
  • 8i6daddy
    8i6daddy Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    18cc wrote: »
    I don't think the issue was sending a text message as such - it was that the text message asked you to do something - to reply - and there was no way of knowing if this was from the bank or a fraudster.

I can tell you're quite categorically that I would never reply to an unexpected text purporting to be from my bank with an option to reply 1 to confirm or whatever. The bank should not be doing this

Note that I am saying unexpected - if I had just bought say an iPad and then got a text saying was it you who made this transaction then that would not be unexpected and I would reply. Anything else - well you must be joking

I am sure if Santander had sent a text saying we would like you to switch to paperless and if you want to do this please log on to your account and select the appropriate setting there would have been probably less of an issue (although you probably have to ask to op to confirm this)

I disagree 100% - Did you misread this bit
    Santander sent me a text message asking did i still want paper statements every 3 months? they went on to say i'll get another text from 88255 for me to repl1y a simple '1' to. and lo and behold they sent it.

All the OP had to do was google "88255 santander" and they would have found their answer... For this to escalate in the way it has is completely and utterly ridiculous to the point where Santander should really consider if they are worth having as a customer. The OP has clearly nothing better to do than complain...If you check their history you will see a few years back Aldi was their flavour of the month for complaints.

Santander have done nothing wrong. The OP would have no doubt had their mobile number included as a method of communication which is separate from the number being registered on a marketing preferences list.

We're all being told about saving the environment and all they have done is communicated via an electronic method regarding a simple paperless option. There was no obligation for the OP to do anything other than give the bank a quick call if they were unsure.

The Paranoia that the OP displays you would think it would be in their interests to go paperless incase the statements were stolen by the inevitable dodgy postmen that they have in their local area...
  • 18cc
    edited 21 April 2018 at 11:44AM
    Options
    Yes I read the OP post and I also read this:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/5805664/santander-warns-customers-about-new-text-message-scam-which-could-hand-your-bank-details-to-criminals/

"SANTANDER is warning customers about a new "sophisticated" text scam which puts fake texts into genuine message threads.
    It has received reports from a number of customers receiving messages pretending to be from the bank - and is urging Brits not to be taken in"

But I am more than happy to just say we disagree. Yes, I think the OP is going a bit overboard with this, but the fact remains in my opinon: NEVER reply to a text or click a link in an email unless you are certain sure who you are dealing with. Even then, don't do it.
  • 18cc
    edited 21 April 2018 at 12:08PM
    Options
    By the way I said in my recent post Santander are idiotic for sending out these kind of text for obvious reasons. Obviously, it is not obvious. So, let's say I am a fraudster. I send out 100,000 "Santander texts" to random mobile numbers using a smishing technique that makes them look like they come from 88255. Of these, 90,000 are not Santander cusomers so they get deleted. Of the remaining 10,000 some 1000 reply '1'. I now have the phone numbers of 1000 Santander customers. Several options - call them, pretend to be from the bank, say you recently tried to turn off paper statements - something went wrong - I can do it for you but first let's "take you through security"..... Or do the same by text - 'something went wrong' - sign in using this link.... Santander are idiots and the OP is right to question them - althoughj, as I say, they are going a bit overboard with this.

By the way this also breaks one of the cardinal rules of security - never give the fraudster something to 'hang his hat on'. In other words, if you receive a phone call out of the blue from your bank you would be very suspicious. Even my dear old mum would say 'yeah sez who'. However, if my mum had just turned off paper statements and the bank called her back and said there was a problem turning off paper statements she would fall for it - no doubt.
  • 2e0arr wrote: »
    my ......And if i was replying to a fraudster they would know my mobile number is live and active.

Bad news, a fraudster wouldnalready know the sms was delivered successfully - very basic functionality.

Put your tin hat on, they’re coming for you!
  • 18cc
    Options
    Yes they know it's delivered but it's only by replying '1' that you tell them you are a Santander customer.
  • 2e0arr
    2e0arr Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 21 April 2018 at 6:11PM
    Options
    ValiantSon wrote: »
    Exactly what is this glitch? All my direct debits are paid correctly. I am also able to cancel direct debits and set up new ones. I see no evidence of a glitch. Your comments about a Post Office direct debit are not a glitch. You can have more than one direct debit going to the same organisation, but it is Post Office's responsibility to set up that direct debit, not Santander's. The old direct debit can be cancelled by you using online banking (or indeed over the phone or in branch). What you have described is the failure of Post Office to set up a new direct debit mandate. This is not Santander's fault.

Really? What insults did Santander staff use? In what way were you humiliated and embarrassed?

You weren't pestered, you received one text message! What utter nonsense to suggest that this shows a lack of custmer care. How is sending you a text message not showing customer care? You didn't even have to reply to the text message, but could instead have phoned them or spoken to somebody in branch. Your complaint is ridiculous.

You are engaged in a vexatious complaint.

Given that you clearly have such little trust or confidence in Santander then you should really look at moving your banking elsewhere. Of course, there is a reasonable chance that they will help you with this by giving you notice that they are closing your account because they don't want (and are not required) to put up with your behaviour.

Santander listened to the telephone calls.
    They upheld my complaint about the member of staff.
    They agreed that the Post Office direct debit had completed that I could not see it on my account but they could see it at their end of the system.

Their employee in Belfast edited the year on this completed direct debit and during our telephone chat it was visible again to me.

As you maybe aware when you look at your account details on line you can look at the direct debits tab and see the active live ones when a direct debit has reached the end of the time period it cannot be seen by the customer

I did communicate with the Post Office who also communicated with Santander.

After contacting the Financial Ombudsman Santander sent me a final esponse acknowledging my complaint.
    They paid the interest lost on the account and a decent Gesture of goodwill which i accepted and did not initiate an adjudication with the financial Ombudsman.

I do not speak to a Santander branch because there is not one local to me and the nearest ne is full of atm's cheque deposit machines.

Santander have made me a select customer

My complaint is not vexacious and I consider this comment inappropriate and politely request you either follow the MSE forum guidelines or stop responding to this thread
  • 2e0arr
    edited 21 April 2018 at 6:10PM
    Options

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/5805664/santander-warns-customers-about-new-text-message-scam-which-could-hand-your-bank-details-to-criminals/

"SANTANDER is warning customers about a new "sophisticated" text scam which puts fake texts into genuine message threads.
    It has received reports from a number of customers receiving messages pretending to be from the bank - and is urging Brits not to be taken in"

But I am more than happy to just say we disagree. Yes, I think the OP is going a bit overboard with this, but the fact remains in my opinon: NEVER reply to a text or click a link in an email unless you are certain sure who you are dealing with. Even then, don't do it.

Thank you very much for the link to the SUN it will help me.

I disagree with your polite comment "Overboard" and informing them that they are breaching the data protection is a serious and important matter. Their breach show and it shows poor attention to detail.

Consider this ..

According to Santander Fraud it says they will never send you an email with a clickable link in it.
    They will send you a text to say you have a secure message to log on and look at.

Ironically the executive complaints team have sent me an email with a clickable hypertext link in it.

I posted earlier that yesterday a fraud team member said we will only send you texts for account alerts. in case of fraud or a secure message online.

Santander email footers basically say I am responsible to check the authenticity of any email i get from them.

Ironically remember HSBC announced they had a secure voice recognition system ? the BBC tested and found a way to get into someones account.
  • 2e0arr
    Options
    Bad news, a fraudster wouldnalready know the sms was delivered successfully - very basic functionality.

Put your tin hat on, they’re coming for you!
    Could you recommend a supplier of Tin hats please? where did you get yours ? I could not find one on eBay
  • 2e0arr
    edited 21 April 2018 at 6:27PM
    Options
    "SANTANDER is warning customers about a new "sophisticated" text scam which puts fake texts into genuine message threads. It has received reports from a number of customers receiving messages pretending to be from the bank - and is urging Brits not to be taken in"

I am so glad that you sent this post. I have realised that when I first called in the Santander Select Operator did not confirm that the texts I received were from Santander or genuine. His response was that we are sending these texts to everyone.

I have had no confirmation that the texts I received are genuine !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure