Small smartphone

jamels2
jamels2 Posts: 437 Forumite
I want something easy to hold and use in one hand like the iPhone se. However there don't seem to be any androids this size except cheap rubbish like Alcatel pixie or imo Q. Should I submit to Apple and get an se, or do any new androids exist in small form? I've tried the Nokia 2 and Moto e4 and both are too big and heavy with slippery back covers!

Comments

• jamels2
    In the past I've been happy with the first moto g 2013 and the LG k3 except the LG display was awful.
  • Don!!!8217;t Samsung do mini phones anymore?
  • jamels2
    No only the a3 I've seen which may be ok but almost same price as the apple s.e.
  • telemarks
    telemarks Posts: 255 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 31 March 2018 at 9:19PM
    We went though exactly the same "small phone" sizing with my daughter recently.

She is very happy with a Xiaomi Redmi 4X, similar price and same screen size as the Nokia2 and Moto E4, but smaller, lighter, much more powerful, more storage, and like the Nokia with the huge "2 day" battery.

The back is a brushed metal (plastic ends) that seems OK in my daughters hand.

Xiaomi are a leap of faith as not officially imported into UK (yet) but they are one of the worlds bigger manufacturers,and the value for money is huge. Both our kids are on Xiaomi now, and just about to buy one for the wife. So long as its an International version google play store is supported.

Lots of UK and european sellers, my daughters came from Ireland in 4 days. The only downside is Xiaomi range is VERY consusing with lots of VERY similar models, but the Redmi 4X has been out a year now, so is at the cheap end of its cycle and great value.

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_4_(4x)-8608.php#redmi-4x
  • mac.d
    mac.d Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    jamels2 wrote: »
    No only the a3 I've seen which may be ok but almost same price as the apple s.e.
    The Samsung A3 is £100 cheaper than the iPhone SE, for example £199/£299 at CarphoneWarehouse?

Xiami have discontinued their 4.7" screen model (can't remember the exact name) but I think telemarks shout for the Xiaomi Redmi 4 (4X) is possibly an option if you don't mind the 'risk' of buying an imported phone. Although its got a 5" screen, it's not a great deal bigger than the Samsung (and is slightly smaller than the Moto E4 you've already tried). It's a lot bigger than the iPhone SE mind you.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    jamels2 wrote: »
    I want something easy to hold and use in one hand like the iPhone se. However there don't seem to be any androids this size except cheap rubbish like Alcatel pixie or imo Q. Should I submit to Apple and get an se, or do any new androids exist in small form? I've tried the Nokia 2 and Moto e4 and both are too big and heavy with slippery back covers!
    Sony XZ1 Compact is a smaller Android Phone. I bought one because of its size.
  • telemarks
    telemarks Posts: 255 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    mac.d wrote: »
    Xiami have discontinued their 4.7" screen model (can't remember the exact name) .
    Thanks to mac, I hadn't seen a Xiaomi 4.72 phone, so went back over the specs, and its the Xiaomi Redmi 2. Launched in early 2015 its a bit of a ancient phone, and I couldn't see any on eBay.
    Mid you its still a positively youthful design compared the case of the IPhone SE (which dates for the 5S in 2013 :eek:)
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The Sony XZ1 Compact has a 4.6 inch screen and very good performance.

The downside is that it isn't cheap.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Its predecessor, the Z1 Compact can be had new for just over £100 on a familiar auction site.

I've had mine for just over a year now and I find that it does everything that I need.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    telemarks wrote: »
    We went though exactly the same "small phone" sizing with my daughter recently.

She is very happy with a Xiaomi Redmi 4X, similar price and same screen size as the Nokia2 and Moto E4, but smaller, lighter, much more powerful, more storage, and like the Nokia with the huge "2 day" battery.

The back is a brushed metal (plastic ends) that seems OK in my daughters hand.

Xiaomi are a leap of faith as not officially imported into UK (yet) but they are one of the worlds bigger manufacturers,and the value for money is huge. Both our kids are on Xiaomi now, and just about to buy one for the wife. So long as its an International version google play store is supported.

Lots of UK and european sellers, my daughters came from Ireland in 4 days. The only downside is Xiaomi range is VERY consusing with lots of VERY similar models, but the Redmi 4X has been out a year now, so is at the cheap end of its cycle and great value.

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_4_(4x)-8608.php#redmi-4x

Hoping you come back to this, just decided to try to find a Xiaomi Redmi 4x - where did you get yours from please, was it Ebay?
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport